Dublin Marathon

Comments

• E-mailed you. Forgot to add yes its the 17th
  • whats all this talk of wind down - only got 2.5 weeks to get fit!help!
    2x13 miles (2hrs 30)plus 5-10 miles/ week over last 3 months off and on - not clever I know but what's my best policy now? Should I try to get a 20 miler in next week and then cut back
    Doing it with a friend who's similarly unprepared plus mother and sisterin law
    Mothers speed the same as mine just about and she's done a couple of 18 miles. Sister in law a bit faster but its flatter where she lives
  • Alan - am I right in assuming your longest run to date is 13 miles? If so, I'd be less concerned with trying to get up to 20 miles this weekend - your pace for 13 miles suggests you'll be getting close to 4 hours by the time you hit 20 miles, so better just to go out and aim to run for 3 hours regardless of how much distance you cover. On the day you might want to consider a run/walk approach - plenty of articles on this site to help you out.

I too had problems over summer getting in adequate training due to injury so haven't done as much endurance training as I'd like to have done. I did one 30 km run last weekend (which will be my longest run) where I set up a 5 km loop near my house. On each loop I'd stop off at my house to sip on an energy drink, and the short time it took to walk up my stairs and down again served as a small "walk break". I was surprised at how easy this made the run - so easy in fact that I decided to do my last loop at my marathon pace just to see if I had the legs, which I did.

I'm no expert, but for someone in your position I think run/walk is the best approach.
  • Well team,

Did my ten miler tonight so feel suitably smug. Felt quite good too so i upped the pace a bit to sub 8 minute (even had a go at a 7 minute mile over the last mile - somehow I doubt I'll be doing a 3hr marathon for a while!).

Snicks - you think you've got problems with your cultural identity - my kids have an Irish father, Indian mother, Scottish names and they live in England - I'm putting aside money for the therapy already.

RichK - As for meeting place, registration on sunday sounds good for me. Possibly into town on Sunday night but that might depend on whether we have the kids with us. N.B. We're staying in the Westbury on Grafton Street. Any body else there?

Tigerrunner - Thanks for the support. Anybody who does a 2.50 marathon gets my attention when it comes to advice.

Alan - Run walk would seem like a good idea. just get around and enjoy the atmosphere. Having said that, I have a mate who swears he did a 3.30 marathon (in the Lakes!) with only a 16 mile long run under his belt. He's the sort of fella you'd never get tired punching!
  • Sparks, my real name is a bit Scottish, the only difference between me and you kids is the mother - mine's Irish. Great stuff. The Celtic/Asian thing is big at the minute - watch out you and your family will be asked to advertise something soon, with a mix like that.
    Managed a pretty pathetic 'recovery' run on the treadmill tonight, 30 mins, only managed 5k. Feeling a bit under the weather. Poor Snicks. BTW, you want to punch your mate who did the 16 miles - check out Derek (owner of the unorthodox training schedule) in Training Forum. He hasn't trained at all and is doing loads of Marathons back to back!
  • Calamity! Went to club this evening, did 30 mins slowish with the newbies who then went off to something horrendous called stretching followed by circuits. Dub training partner (Claire) and I decided to stick to what we know and ran hard for 40 mins - just got back to the car park and Claire fell over - landing on her face.
    So have just got home from 3 hours in casualty. Claire looked a lot better when I dropped her at home than when we got to the hospital. Stitches in two places on her face. She'll be fine but it's touch and go whether she'll be able to join in this run we're doing in Dub and will have to see how she feels that weekend.
    Have assured her that she is not going round in a wheelchair unless it's self-propelled.
    So briefly (really!) well done all - Alan - Superdaz and Sparks gave good advice, no point in repeating it. Sparks - got the 10 in then, well done. Sounds like it went well too. We're at Comfort Inn in Talbot Street. Next week will start to compile list of arrival times and where we're all staying. Snicks - aww - poor you. But the point is you did the recovery run! Would have been easy not to.
    My background's pretty simple compared to some of you - Yorkshire for generations, Irish ex-wife and Irish daughter. But I live in Bristol. Brother lives in Melbourne - Aussie wife, 2 Aussie kids.
    There's something I have to share - brother's doing the Melbourne Marathon this Sunday.
    Dressed as a sperm.
    Nite all!!richk
  • ...out running yesterday doing my 16 miler and got chased by a blinking dog, the owner was not to friendly said he had just been made homeless. He looked familer thou' dog was called Mutely!
    Snicks, had to laugh at your comment 'love to punch'
    Sparks are you feeling happier now you've got the ten in?
    Richk, hope your friend Claire makes a speedy recovery. Good Idea about listing arrival times and where everyone's staying. Our lot are staying in Lower Gardiner St.Well!This is the weekend for any mad last longish runs,also the start of our area x-c league. I enjoy x-c will be running Saturday and long run Sunday. Anyone else doing any x-c?good for speed work&endurance.Following week will be all speed work. Then total rest, if wifey lets me.
  • TR,

We're in Lower Gardiner Street as well - at the Dublin Townhouse (no. 47-48).

I'm doing a 9 mile multi terrain run on Sunday, so I suppose that is XCish?! Could do with a few more miles ideally, but I guess it will be harder than my usual Sunday run. Then it's a quiet 8 next Sunday. Have been feeling a bit washed out this week, you know, that sort of tapering feeling! Hopefully I will come back to life again soon!

DW
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    How long to go?

Sincere best wishes chums. It's one I'd love to do.
  • Hello all, just spent the last 3 days working in Aberdeen, I actually managed to stick to the running schedule as laid out in an old copy of RWorld so have decided it is all my families fault that I have been so erratic with the other 4 months "training".
    Am having a day off today, then a gym day tomorrow, rowing and weights then a 20 miler on Sunday.
    I get in to Dub on Sat afternoon, so will be out for a look around and probably at night too, just to get aclimatised of course.
    Finally, I am of Scottish descent, married to a scottish girl, our kids are Scottish and I live in Scotland. Just to get that clear.
  • Well, normal friday 5 miler in the gym this morning, doing last 20 miler on sunday then start to wind down. We're (me + Mrs W) staying at the Clarion IFSC which I think is pretty central in Dub and arriving sat afternoon.
    Me, Mrs W and little ones born and bred on the south cost of blightly..
  • Hey Barks - nice of you to join us! What's happening on your thread - over 1000 messages, amazing!

Fellow dubs, today nothing, mainly because I can't due to been a kids only day, but also not feeling too lively - so not too devastated at not been able to get out. Will do my long un tomorrow.
    I'm staying with my friend in Dun Laoghaire, not far from town.
    Sarcy1...Scottish is good, you're a Celt! Another fair skinned person to look out for then?
  • Tigerrunner - I'm doing cross country on Sunday - Avalon League in Salisbury. Will probably do a few extra laps warming up and down to bump it up to 12/15 miles. Good luck with yours.
    Barkles - welcome to Dub! It's on Monday 28th, so not long now. How's the Forest of Dean plans going? Close enough to Bristol for me but can't make November - probably wait until early next year if you're still keen to organise a date then.
    Thanks for the info re-location and arrival - I'll trawl thru the thread sometime in the next few days to see when any others are turning up.
    Snicks - hope you're feeling a little livelier tomorrow - good luck with the run. I used to know a good restaurant in Dun Laoghaire but forget it's name now.
  • Okay guys,
    Just to get things clear- been out tonight so anything I say, I'm not accountable for (by the way , it is okay, isn't it, when you've had a few pints to come in and log onto a runner's world forum - not sad or criminal is it??).
    Snicks - i'm just waiting for the contracts to come rolling in. My wife keeps telling me that I'm just her trendy accessory. Hope you'll be feeling better for your next run.
    RichK - Yep. the 10 went well. just a pity that it all went to waste with the 8 pints tonight. Somebody please tell me that alocohol is a valuable source of carbohydrate and is actually better than a 5 mile run.
    Sarcy1 - Scottish descent? Live in Scotland? Married to a Scot? Scottish kids?
    ... I'll put you down as Irish then.
  • ... and RichK, i hope Claire is okay and will be fit for the race. The same thing almost happened to me tonight ... under slightly different circumstances obviously. Although, as the Policeman said to me, the symptoms of alcohol and extreme exhaustion can be difficult to distinguish.
  • DW
    Were in Abbotts Lodge and arriving Sat afernoon. Good luck with your x-c Sunday and the extra miles. Seems like a good idea. I might do the same.But looking out the window we have horrible rain for the first time in ages. Real x-c type weather i luvvvvvvv it.
    RK same to you for Sun league it's a great way to train.
    Sarcy1 are you sure you've no irish in you?
    Sparks i'm amazed you can write after ten pints, but how did you eat the takeaway at the same time?
    Snicks
    Dun Laoghaire is nice, right on the coast, been there many a time when arriving by boat from Holyhead.
    Well must go and prepare for todays race. See yer's later all mudded up.......greatttttt.
    TR
  • Sparks, Alcohol is a valuable source of carbohydrate, and is actually better than a 5 mile run! Does that help? (BTW, I should know - ask DW!)
    TR: Have same memory of DL, arrving on the boat from HH, looking at the two red and white towers (what are they for?). Oh, and many moons ago, I swam Dun Laoghaire pier with my friends from the local swimming club... Must remind my friend I'm coming!
    RK: Good luck to Claire. How many of you are coming - part of a team aren't you?
    Everyone, thanks for nice comments re: the cold. Still feeling not so good. Lem sipped up again. Think I'll do my long one tomorrow!
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Hey folks. You all sound in fine form.
    Snicks, the other thread has gone totally mad, God only knows why!
    RichK- I am researching the pubs for lunch and then I reckon it's all systems go. If it's a hit, we're bound to have others, so would be pleased to see you.

All the best.
  • Take it easy with the cold Snicks.
    Just found out that my wifes great grandmother was Irish. My kids are contaminated!!
    Off to the gym this afternoon, it is too wet for the long run today but I will get out tomorrow morn whatever the weather, if Snicks can do it, drinks bottle filled with Lemsip, then we all can. An example to us all.
    Kids with Irish blood in them, I can't believe it.
  • Claire says thanx - says she's feeling a little better, still very fed up and sore and looks a mess.
    DW, enjoy the 9MT - know what you mean about that dreary weary feeling, altho' this time around I'm having to hold back, seem to have lots of energy. Done something right this time! Or maybe I haven't done enough! You'll be fine on the day.
    Sparks - serious carbo loading! Good job!And yet still able to enhance our thread! Wot a very wise policeman you had the good fortune to bump into!
    Snicks - can't remember how many of us there are - I think between 6 and 8 runners of mixed abilities and ages and one girl who's from Dub, isn't running but it happens to be her birthday on the Saturday. From the Bath club but I wouldn't say we're running as a team! I too have memories of that view of Dun Laoghaire but you wouldn't get me in the water! Brave girl! Do take it easy tomorrow - if you're still mainlining on lemsip it's not worth pushing it. Just get out and stretch your legs for a while. But you know all that anyway. Good luck with it.
    Sarcy1 - too wet? Too wet!!! What are you going to do if it rains in Dub? Good luck with your run tomorrow too.
    Tigerrunner - how did it go? Or are you still stuck in the mud?
    My little bro' starts in the Melbourne Marathon in a little over an hour's time. Go philk!!
    richk
  • Parky's about to start, so I can't stop! Just to say thanks for all the cold wishes if you know what I mean. I got all ready to go out for a hills session today, but felt too ill. Consoled myself by practising Body Balance (yoga type thing) for two hours and driving tomorrows route. Realised I miscalculated last time, under, believe it or not, so I've already got one 20 under my belt. Still feeling a bit 'orrible, but drinking red wine to make myself feel better. Am being good Snicks, because had a v tempting offer to go out tonight and declined because of long run. Kids with their dad so I could have done what I wanted but, no, here I am with glass of red, Parky and plans of long run in the morning. Am I very sad? thanks again for kind words re: cold! Right, Parky calls me...
  • Hi fellow Dubs, if Paula Radcliffs great run this afternoon does not inspire us to run well in Dublin then nothing will. What a fantastic run.
    RK first x-c of the season went well finished 64th out of a strong field just about 6 miles the course and recorded just under 36 minutes. Going was easy as the rain made little differance to the ground. Only little bits of mud. Let me know how you got on today.
    Snicks hope the cold gets better try the irish remedy hot wiskey and lemonade.
    Sarcy1 whats this with the rain stopping you going out. Glad to hear the kids have got a bit of irish in them.If they turn out to be good at sport the irish can poach them!
    Barkles is the pub invite open to all?
    Good luck to all. Taper time is hear again.
    Yippee
    TR
  • Evenin' all. Well done Tiger - sounds like you went well. Our x-c in Salisbury wasn't easy - 4 laps, 2 long and 2 short, a little over 5 miles. The ground was sodden with standing water in places and some slippery spots but not much mud. Strong wind and driving rain, almost hail at times. Don't know where I finished but it took a little over 38 minutes and was hard work.
    DW - I'm now weary and dreary and therefore ready to taper.
    Snicks - enjoyed Parky and have just realised I'm missing M Palin. Grrrr. Hope you made it today (otherwise last night's matyrdom will have been wasted!) and that the weather was a little kinder wherever you are. Good news that you've already got a 20 in - usually I find I over-estimated. btw - not sad - focussed!!
    Hope everybody else's weekend runs went to plan. Feet up now!
  • Snicks - on reflection - maybe a little sad but extremely focussed - like the rest of us ;-)
  • Very sad, but now very happy. Set the alarm for 615am, got up 930am, felt ill and due to busy week, took it easy this morning. Set off at about 12pm. Managed 21 miles. It rained from 11 miles to 21 miles, and I mean rained. It was great though. At 13 miles I was at 1:48, ie 8:30 min miling. By 18.5 miles I was 2:26, therefore under 8, the whole lot was 3:12, just over nine! Um, I think Snicks has miscalculated. I do know that most of the way I was running at around 8:20, but the last three miles were slower! Oh who cares!!!! I reckon I'm on for a sub 4 either way - just if I go by the total time. Anyway, that was my last long un - hurrah!!
  • Snicks, how did you manage to keep going through your cold? There seems to be a bit of the flu going around up here just now and I am expecting to get it next week probably, since this is the tapering time will it matter if I have a few days off? Tell me everything is going to be fine.
    Plans for the week, health permitting, are
    Monday: recovery 3 miles
    Tuesday: threshold run probably 6 or 7 miles
    Wed: easy 9 miles
    Thurs: 5 miles steady
    Fri: day off
    Sat: gym day
    Sun: 13 miles
    Never thought I would be looking forward to "just" 13 miles for the long run.
    Hope all the plans go well for you all this week, now, if we could just find somewhere to meet up...
  • Nice one Snicks, looking at these times its amazing I ever saw you at Windsor. Respect!