Cancel Sky

Thought my day was going badly, having received another rejection from the London Marathon.  This clearly pails into insignificance when my 9 year old has just discovered I cancelled sky.

The panic, the frantic pressing of buttons followed by the wails of 'NO!'.  He might just have to watch something educational now, instead of re-runs Jake and Josh.

Not sure how Im going to cope with the withdrawl from House though - clearly I might just have to go for a run instead.

Comments

• I'm going to report you for child cruelty.....how could you................Drake and Josh are the highlight of my dayimage
  • New season of House, 9pm this sunday Sky 1

Still time to reconnect image for the sake of the kids obviously

• Why do Americans call them seasons?  And why did we start calling them seasons too?  We used to series - manageable chunks of drama and entertainment over 5-8 weeks.  Some of these seasons (Lost, Heroes etc) go on for months and months covering several natural seasons.  Doesn't make sense to me.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Something educational? On terrestrial TV??
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Oh dear HTF, when does it go off???
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Or (dare I say it.....)

Read a book?

• A box set of House DVD is the way to go.  You'll never need to see the sky again.
  • When I was 9 I used to play with friends otherwise I was burried under a pile of lego.

• Bless. Don't know they're born, do they?

When I was 9/10 my parents got rid of the TV. Didn't have one again until I was 14/15 ish. I really can't remember missing it, I was always far too busy doing other things, club, societies, causing havoc, that kind of thing.

Good habit former. I still have to remember to watch the TV, it's still not the first thing that spings to mind.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Has your son phoned Childline yet, hope? image
  • They are watching The Weakest  LInk .........  Oh the shame.

• I got sky for hubby's xmas pressie a few years back.  Cancelled it over 18mths ago and just have freeview.  Enough re-runs etc to keep any tv addict happy.  If I lived alone I wouldn't have a tv at all.  I'd miss Corrie and Benidorm (1st one of new series tonight) but you can get them on the computer these days.  Why waste money on a tv license - get rid of the box!!
  • We've unplugged and removed the sky box.  I feel liberated.  One less thing to dust, and less tangled wires at the back.

We've got freeview so the kids will have to cope.  I remember just 3 channels, and if you missed your fav. kids show tough.  We were 'ard back then.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Can't get freeview here without a sattelite. Mind you, we still can't get C5 on terrestrial either!
  • Watched Benidorm last night image class comedy, especially nanna heheheheheh
  • If the kids show any hint of rebellion a good smack round the lug ole,  will soon restore order image enjoy
  • YAY! Join the wonderful group of people whose lives do not revolve around TV!

Didn't have a TV till I was 6, then it stopped working when I was 8 (old valve set - Dad never got round to finding a relpacement valve), then got one again when I was 12. Have lived for extended periods without one as an adult. Have library card and computer, will self entertain.

Our TV gets used more for Wii fit than for watching TV (although we are both quite partial to Strictly (even though you Brits don't put enough sports people forwards in the selection of stars - imagine All Blacks dancing)

Helen
  • Hi Helen,

my kids tonight watched Autumnwatch - how cool is that.  

My husband is a kiwi, and the time we spent over there watching the box was limited due to the annoying amount of adverts every few minutes.   Having said that I used to love the Toyota (i think ) ads were they sprinkle the word bugger throughout.

• Yep, you are correct - Toyota ads - must see if I can find it on U-tube.

I DON'T miss NZ TV and all the ads one little bit. I do miss some of the nature programmes from home - I am such a sucker for nature programmes.

How did you aquire your kiwi? My partner is Scots, and he just followed me home one day so I had to keep him - LOL.

Better go to bed now, had my first run after my 10K today, and want to do another wee trot tomorrow.

H
  • I aquired my Kiwi when I was backpacking in Australia.  I then spent a month in Thailand, and by the time I got home he had sold everything in Sydney and had booked his ticket here.

17 years of marriage later we have  3 boys, 1 cocker spaniel  and a large mortgage.  We are still undecided whether we should live here or in NZ.  Unless the exchange rate changes though we're staying put.

Where abouts are you now Helen?

• when I lived in NZ there were only 2 telly channels and the pubs were shut on Sundaysimage
  • Pizza Man -Sometimes I wish we only had 2 channels here, then the the tv would be off more.  Pubs being closed on a Sunday, however, would be completely unacceptable.  I remember going out for dinner in Auckland and there being 'dry areas'.

Love the radio though.  I download podcasts from the BBC and listen to them on my LSR, which today was 13 miles.  That way I think Im getting fit and educating myself!

Where in NZ were you, and why did you come back? 

• I rang sky to cancel this last week. they tried to sell me 4 separate fricking deals!

Murdoch would be spinning in his grave (if I had my way).

• I'm living in Cambridgeshire - out in the Fen country, one of the many colonials who keep the NHS running.

In 5 years of our partnership, we've aquired 2 cats - and that is where I draw the line until such a time as we live in a place with big open spaces and we can foster Neufoundland dogs again!

Although I am a southern girl coming from inland Otago, we lived in Auckland for the three years we tried to live at home, until we realised the pay was so crap as to be not worthwhile. Waitakere is "dry" in the sense of being a licencing trust, something I would support here - because it means there are much tighter controls on alcohol, although you can still go out to the pub, as long as it serves food too.

• I fell for the heart of a fair Kiwi maiden back in '84. She was from Wahi. I lived in Tauranga (loved it) and worked in the kiwi orchards around the Bay of Plenty. If it was too hot we went to the beach and too wet we went to the pub. There was an excellent work ethic image

In the winter I went down to Mot' and then Christchurch before doing another season in Tauranga. I din't really "come back". I went to do a summer a Greece and have not made it back to Tauranga ........................ yet.

where are you from hopetofinnish?

• Pizza Man - from Kent originally, now Surrey.  We had two quotes 4 years ago when we sold the house, one for Auckland and one for the house we are now living in.  

Guess the time just wasnt right for us to move.   Instead Im slumming it in a 5 bed, 5 rec 3 bath house, so things  have worked out ok. image.

I remember when we thought we could buy a beautiful house in Auckland, mortage free, and then 9.11 happened, market went flat, exchange rate fell out of bed.................  Never mind, i think life is good no matter where you are (ok there are exceptions) if you make an effort.

We were looking to take a holiday over there next year, but realistically its going to set us back £6,000/£7,000, and thats a shed load of money.

So you still in Greece?

• Johnny - when I spoke to sky the woman threatened to put the phone down on me as she said I had a 'tone', I'd been on hold for ever, transferred incorrectly twice, then my previous call had not even been put on my file.  

Tone!  Grief I nearly had an embolism, I wasnt even rude, let alone used any swear words.  That horrible trashy silver box is gone, and even though the new series of 'House' started last night, I shall wait for it to be on box set, hire it from Blockbusters, get a gigantic packet of whole nut chocolate, and have a 'House' fest.

Ok feel better for that........................

• LMAO - I've been told I am rude by people at call centres - like you, I am not ever swearing etc - it must be my "tone"

Rude I save for bus drivers who don't stop when you are at the bloody bus stop waving them down.