For the blokes in Winter

2»

Comments

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

tights, couldn't care less what i look like whilst running, not many people get much time to see me.

I don't really get cold legs but I think tights help keep the muscles a little warmer. They also have the advantage of keeping the mud off your legs, it is easier to stick them in the wash than try to remove caked on mud from you legs, plus it is cleaner when you go indoors after a run - no big chucks of mud falling off your legs on the living room floor, however you do need to remove you tights outside!

• Marty, do you have hot running water? Might I suggest a shower before entering the living room. image
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    the shower is upstairs (like in many homes i would guess)! through the living room via the back door or the hall via the front, either way they are carpeted. I have hosed myself off outside using cold water in the middle of winter, it is not much fun, tights are the answer (and the future).
  • Beazer wrote (see)
    is it a bit girly for blokes to wear 3/4 length tights?
    Only if you are a but uncomfortable with your sexuality.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I can't say that wearing tights made me question my sexuality, it's not as if I'm wearing one of my girlfriends thongs underneath is it? of course not, that would chaffe!image

I'd always go with comfort over appearance, as longs as i'm decent!

• danowat wrote (see)
    Beazer wrote (see)
    is it a bit girly for blokes to wear 3/4 length tights?
    Only if you are a but uncomfortable with your sexuality.

That's alright then. I just don't see many blokes in 3/4 tights..........

• I can't see how running in tights could make anyone feel girly, now running in a pink skort with neon leg warmers, thats a bit girly.
  • TownerTowner ✭✭✭
    tights all the way!
  • I've never really felt my legs get all that cold. Even when cycling in winter I wear shorts. Start of thsi year with the snow I just loved the feeling, apart from when I slipped and scratched my bare legs on the ice.

Now hands and feet - they get cold. Often wear a pair of gloves when running mid winter, and two or three thin pairs to cycle in. The cold feet I haven't found a solution to yet. Just go numb in the end.

I find the best bit of kit I use during the whole year, but in different ways throughout the year, is my buff. Winter time it covers my neck and keeps that cosy, or my ears to prevent yet another ear infection taking hold.

• Make your kit as functional and as ugly as possible.Lime green split shorts, reflective tights, headtorch, whatever. Remember we're the tough ones.
  • Long sleeve top, gloves and shorts. (My legs never feel cold)

If you don't care what you look like, fine, go put on a pair of tights (full or 3/4). If you have one ounce of pride and dignity, avoid tights. Be under no illusion, you look very silly.  (Thats men and women btw)

Clothing is like furniture, a continual compromise between aesthetics and functionality.

• LOL @ Artie!!

I have pride and dignity, I also wear full length tights!! Put my shorts over the top though as the cold weather does'nt do much for your bits!!LOLOLOLOLimage

• I always wear shorts in winter. It's my upper body that gets cold, so at some point I start wearing a jacket, but almost never anything on my legs. I seem to remember a couple of occasions when there was a horizontal blizzard raging when I wore some loose, light tracksuit bottoms to lessen hailstone damage to my flesh. But that's it.

Tights are for ladies, and men seeking to establish contact with their feminine side.

• RunningCommentary wrote (see)

Tights are for ladies, and men seeking to establish contact with their feminine side.

I wear skintight thermals image

Aside from that, no different from what I normally wear. Hat and thin gloves, and I'm ready to go. 

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Tights for legwear for me in winter, mainly Decathlon's own brand gear.

I don't care if I look stupid, I'm out running, not on the pull image

• tights for me in the winter, real men wear tights and have no problem with doing so.

long sleeve top, montane featherlite marathon jacket, gloves, but never wear a hat, always find them uncomfortable and too hot to wear.

RC and artie - you both need to take the plunge and 'tight up' , come on fellas liberate yourselves image

• Shorts for me

Like FB after years of playing football on freezing pitches with frost on the ground I have acclimatised to cold weather exercise.

Man up you bunch of woosies! image

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

mr sj, I didn't get on with hat so I opted for a headband, quite thin but keeps protects the old lugs. I also use a thin lycra type scull cap, this fits under my cycle helemt too. Both look crap but I'm not there to look good! I also go for tights as mentioned before, keep the muscles warm and keep mud off, who cares what it looks like.

Also, who said tight look bad on ladies too? i disagree, it's what keeps me going through my bodypump class in the gym!

• i have a lusso skullcap too, i used to use when I went cycling, good for winter running. I'm not sure if the original poster is still reading this thread. But anyway for a reasonable priced pair of running tights sportsdirect do karrimor ones for a tenner. I have two pairs. Currently still in shorts, and the other day t shirt and gilet (6.30 am, it was frosty here). I have worn tracksters in the past and probably will do again this year for road running. I mostly run off road and think tights will be better in case I get wet. I hope I can still use shorts for a few weeks more but we'll see.

• Think I'll be moving into my 3/4 or full tights more often soon.  Ran home last night and my leg muscles felt a bit cold throughout. Time did limit my warmup, but took the first couple of miles steady to warm up and reduce muscle strain but they just never felt right throughout the run.

UHDD - i would have thought full tights would have been more of a problem off road as they will retain the wet throughout the run which your legs wouldn't, as they will dry naturally.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

The tights retaining mositure is a fair point, I think mine dry quickly, but this probably depends on the thickness and type of material.

• mine are pretty snug, tou can't pull them on, have to be zipped, so hopefully be ok, I'm not jumping through bogs and rivers either, more like fields and forest with occasional surfaces that look firm and turn out to be 8" deep mud.
  • shorts unless it's below 2 degrees and then i tend to wear trackies over the top, long sleeve top and gillet - sometimes hat and gloves but has to be very cold for those.  not tried tights and don't think i will - just gives the wife something to take the pee over... image)
  • This is all quiet interesting as I always took runners to be the kind of people who couldnt give a flying Asics what anyone thought  they looked liked while on their runs. After all we are very much in the minority activity wise. Adults on the whole dont go rushing around in the street alone. Well it seems I was wrong..rather sad....

• In winter, I wear my Ron Hill running tights, long sleeve technical top and a beanie hat to keep the head warm. Oh and gloves too. I don`t go out in the winter wearing shorts unless racing.
    I hate the cold and sometimes it best to have your body protected and insulated. When out running, your body warms up like central heating. Running outside wearing shorts is OK during spring and summer. But in the winter, for me, no. Unless you love the cold.
  • Ron Hill tracksters, and thermal top for me. Tights are an absolute no no, unless of course you are cocky enough to shove an egg box down your front.image
  • or if infact you dont need the egg box image
  • Egg box? Wouldn't that just give you udders? image