A call out to young whippersnappers....

2»

Comments

• seren nos - dyn haearn wrote (see)

PO

It depends

i was on my 2nd marriage, 2nd mortgage and pregnant with my 3rd kid by then so I probably wasn't...........

Never been married

Still don't own a house

Never been pregnant

What you reckon?!!!  image

• zslyduck - i'm an exiled st andrews-ite myself (ex-madras) and i'm sure there are running clubs at the uni. alternatively, why not Fife AC? that would expand your social life beyond the uni, which is always good.

re age...that's the beauty of running! its just about the only sport going that is not a young person's game. all of your best years are in front of you!

i can relate to the difficulty of your peers tut-tuting at you a. showing restraint at midweek booze-fests and b. doing something constructive but.......f*ck em.

~realises that he is pushing 30 and exits hastily.

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

I started running in the first year (when I was 18) - now 23 and average 50 - 60 miles per week when not injured.

Keep it up - don't fall into the trap of peer pressure and let yourself go getting a beer belly down the pub.

I don't intend to in the slightest - I have enough unfit, overweight friends as it is. 60mpw? image I hope to be able to do that at your age, I'm still hesitant to increase my milage too much as a bad injury now (I've already had a Lateral Ligament injury) could put me back a good half year or so.

Beanie - I'm on 12 hours of lectures at the moment, 2 seminars and a tutorial... so about the same. Though the lucky arts students normally get the afternoon lectures, I have to be up by St Salvador's quad for 9am (coming from New Hall - by Andrew Melville), 5 days a week.

On a running note, just gotten back from a tempo run (10k in 44 minutes), so feeling quite chuffed with myself todayimage

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

I don't have any friends that are into running - it used to bother me before but now I actually take pleasure in the solitude.

I really cannot understand why...
  • SpyduckM, there's good advice on the forum generally.

Just don't over-do it. So easy to get a stress fracture doing too much...

Oh and DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!! image

• ...and there are others, like Siance, who are really helpful, give excellent advice and very good to know image

Good for you SPsyduckM - that's a good pace over a 10K distance, IMO. As for your peers - well, pretty much all of my friends are smokers and a lot of them drink more than they should, but they never pressure me to join in, I've always found them very supportive. The only reason people will take the mick out of you is because they're a bit jealous that your dedication and commitment is making you stand out from the crowd. Good for you!

Okay, I'll back out of the thread now, I'm not entirely young image

• Could you give me some tips?
  • I believe there is some underlying subtext here that I'm unaware of... well, it's none of my buisness I'm sure. I try to stay out of that stuff anyhow. If someone's able to give advice then they're just as good as the next member in my eyes.

I am fast noticing how helpful everyone is here - the boards are really busy sometimes! Hopefully I might see some of you at races at some pointimage

• Oooo, nice to hear someone similar to me, I'm also 19 and studying at uni,yet not living the cliche  "uni" lifestyle. I'm up in the morning pounding the streets and like to get my 50 MPW in.

My friends don't see the point in why I run,they call me crazy, yet I take it as a complimentimage

• There sure is, SPsyduckM. Devoted2Dumbness usually stalks on general but there's a cracking thread on injury. It's a real side-splitter... I laughed so much my tummy ached image

• SPsyduckM - yeah don't worry about it. The boards are great - really supportive and helpful. Hope you find some useful stuff on here.

*clings to her 20s by the skin of her teeth*

I'm still young...ish...

I didn't run at uni, I have to confess. Didn't have time for much extra-curricular stuff at all, so all my previous sporting activity went to the wall...started up again a few years ago as a stress-reliever, and it's just escalated from there and it just keeps going....

• Misprinted, you're a disgrace to the student profession! image Seriously though it restores my faith in students. I've a lass doing work experience with me, 19, and she thinks I'm mad doing the stuff I do and running's not my main sport.
  • SPsyduckM wrote (see)
    ...underlying subtext...

Yes there is the odd bit of history, but despite that we're mostly pretty much in the 'now'.

Just don't ever ask for a lift to Silverstone... image

• Misprinted wrote (see)

Oooo, nice to hear someone similar to me, I'm also 19 and studying at uni,yet not living the cliche  "uni" lifestyle. I'm up in the morning pounding the streets and like to get my 50 MPW in.

My friends don't see the point in why I run,they call me crazy, yet I take it as a complimentimage

I'm hesitant about increasing my milage to 50mpw - I'm quite concious about severly injuring myself at our age. Did you build up to it very gradually?
    As for friends, mine neither - I think we have an understanding hereimage

Siance, Chocolate Moose - I'm not gonna ask.
  • You will pick it up eventually

It's not even an "in joke"

It's just an observation  image

• Siance wrote (see)
    Misprinted, you're a disgrace to the student profession! image Seriously though it restores my faith in students. I've a lass doing work experience with me, 19, and she thinks I'm mad doing the stuff I do and running's not my main sport.

Ha ha image awww that's lovely to know I've restored your faith in students, although I do have to remember that I'm doing a degree and to focus on that more so that running at the moment. What's your main sport, I'm going to guess cycling?

Misprinted wrote (see)

Oooo, nice to hear someone similar to me, I'm also 19 and studying at uni,yet not living the cliche  "uni" lifestyle. I'm up in the morning pounding the streets and like to get my 50 MPW in.

I'm hesitant about increasing my milage to 50mpw - I'm quite concious about severly injuring myself at our age. Did you build up to it very gradually?
    As for friends, mine neither - I think we have an understanding hereimage

Siance, Chocolate Moose - I'm not gonna ask.
    I used to think, how can these people run that kind of mileage? but it's the longer run that bumps it up. I've been running over 2 years so yes very gradual. I was only doing 15 MPW at the start then it just starting creeping up.
  • Misprinted wrote (see)
    I used to think, how can these people run that kind of mileage? but it's the longer run that bumps it up. I've been running over 2 years so yes very gradual. I was only doing 15 MPW at the start then it just starting creeping up.

So have you had any major injury setbacks at all? It's just that my mum's a district nurse, and she runs alot as well - I guess it.... runs (obvious pun, sorry) in the family - and she's always telling me not to do too much too young, as an injury while I'm still growing could either persist for years or come back when I'm older and become quite serious. It's not that I don't want to do more milage, I'm just paranoid of doing some serious damage to myself.

At the moment I'm quite content to focus on getting a good half-marathon time. However, it's good to hear someone my age is able to do the kind of milage you're doing.

• I've had various injuries but only minor I suppose. <!-- START article head -->Achilles tendinitis was my first setback, I tried to run through pain which now I know, very silly,week off running for me. Became anemic but I know it's common women my age but I did lower the mileage for a short while.

I now do simple strengthening exercises as I'm more aware what harm I could be causing as, at the beginning of running I guess I was a bit ignorant. Also only noticed more injuries when I was focusing on speed work which I now don't do much of and the minor twinges have subsided.

Yes, ditto, very inspiring to here someone focusing on a passion the same as I at this age. imageGood luck on the half marathon time, what are you aiming for may I ask?

• Misprinted wrote (see)

I've had various injuries but only minor I suppose. <!-- START article head -->Achilles tendinitis was my first setback, I tried to run through pain which now I know, very silly,week off running for me. Became anemic but I know it's common women my age but I did lower the mileage for a short while.

I now do simple strengthening exercises as I'm more aware what harm I could be causing as, at the beginning of running I guess I was a bit ignorant. Also only noticed more injuries when I was focusing on speed work which I now don't do much of and the minor twinges have subsided.

Yes, ditto, very inspiring to here someone focusing on a passion the same as I at this age. imageGood luck on the half marathon time, what are you aiming for may I ask?

I had a niggling Lateral Ligament problem at the start of Feburary, which was a huge setback as I was starting to build up some momentum in training, and it kept me out for almost 2 months image

I do strengthening exercises too - heel raises and the like. As for the half, I'm looking to break 1'35 at Silverstone in March. I'm really excited for it - I'm a huge F1 fan, so to run round one of the circuits...  you get the idea.