Great Welsh Marathon

Anyone know if this will be run on the costal path? The same route as the half?

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi FL, looking at the symbols I think it indicates road and flat?  I'd like more information though as I can't get on the RW member only link as I said on the Swansea thread.  Do you know what club/organisation would be arranging it?
  • MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭

I'd seen a rumour about this....I quite fancy it but have an offroad marathon the week before, plus i've also entered the Shakespeare marathon at the end of April. I'd probably be a bit dumb to consider doing this one as well....although I'm not ruling myself out just yet.

Since I'm not a subscriber to RW I can see the details. image

• Hilly it states that its an out and back flat route and that    its  A fast, scenic and traffic free course run along the beautiful Millennium Coastal Park in Llanelli.

I was really excited about this one till I realisied that its the easter weekend and I only booked my holiday on the wekendimage

still great to have a marathon back in south wales

• oh yes and its only £19 or £21 to enter..........seems a good priceimage
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Sounds good.  I'll definitely consider this one.  I did Cardiff a few times and was sorry to see that one go, so yes I agree it's good to see a marathon back in Wales. 

It would be good if the organisers made details available to all not just those who are subscribers of RW though!

• MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭
    seren nos - dyn haearn wrote (see)
    oh yes and its only £19 or £21 to enter..........seems a good priceimage

Bargain!

• MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭

hmmm....seems rude not to enter one when its practically on your doorstep.

can't rely on my legs to be sorted by then

• Hilly, this is their web site Here but its not up and running properly yet!

Its run by the same organisers as the Llanelli half. Hope its not just twice the half courseimage. That would be boring as hellimage.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yay can see details now as they're not RW subscribers only content.  I definitely like the look of this one.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    As you say FL, no further details on their website.  Quite a low entry number too with 250, but for a first marathon I'm sure that's plenty.  Also, it's so close to London I'm sure many will choose to do that, but for those who don't get in it would be a good option.
  • Hilly, I will give it a go as a training run for London. Have you done the half down there?
  • I have just noticed that the date has changed to the 18th!!! that is now a week before VLMimage. Why change itimage.Thats me outimage.
  • I have e-mailed the organisers to ask about route, no reply yet. I think it would be the same route as the half but longer in both directions. Pembrey country park and past golf club poss.
  • 400 yds from my house and the route that I run (parts of) 3 times a week!

Not ready for a marathon yet though!

• Oh the date has changed................If I don't get into London on Monday and there are still spaces I might give it a goimage
  • It's also gone up by £1.  Is George Osborne the race director?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Interesting, but right in between Connemara 39.3 on 11th and Highland Fling 53 on 24th.  Doing this as well wouldn't be very sensible at all.  Thinking about it ...

Hello, Hilly - haven't bumped into you for ages.

• Fast Legs:Good Mornning.I strole by chance and I think I'm off Then.That will be my 24 or 25th Marathion there abouts and its new.You think Wales getting les on Half Marathon or somone new in the Athletics side may take over like Eden is brand new this year and Newcastle NEW Marathon but is not actually through Runners World new events yet?
  • do you think they changes the datebecause they hadn't realised it was on the easter weekend...........if its fine I would think that millenium route would be packed with cyclist out on a jaunt on the bank holiday........doesn't fill you with a lot of confidence when they change things so soon..............i wish someone would come on here and explain the changes so i can be reasurred its not going to change again.........

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

I emailed the organisers to ask for more details, but haven't heard back yet.

Hi T Rex I'm still about the forums, but maybe not quite as much as before.  They're some big runs you're doing there.

FL - no never done the HM.  The only races I've done in Wales are Cardiff Marathon and the Cardiff Park Time Trial.

• MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭

ooo...this date is much better for me.  shame the entry limit is so low.  i'll mull it over for another few days before deciding.

I see that the on-line entry is now open so is it likely that things will change again?

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I can't see them changing the date now, so I've entered.  Hope I'm not the first and get no.1image  I got that number once and felt quite embarrassed as I felt everyone thought I was the best female or something.  Remember keeping a top over it until the start.  Looking forward to running in this marathon.
  • Hi All - especially all you on the Abingdon thread!! Got me very disorientated!

This promises to be a great run. It's slightly bitter sweet with my plans for a Swansea Marathon, but my aim was to have a local marathon and it's going to happen! May still be two!!

I would recommend this based on the other events these guys are involved with. Guaranteed to be picturesque and fast.. although probably raining!!!

Well

• 18th April

image(((((((

Already at Brighton

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

That's a shame Hippo.

2 flat marathons in Wales would be good.  One in Spring and one in Autumn! 

• Autumn has always been more likely if Swansea does happen. It will be totally flat if it's 2 coastal laps, but a circular route will inevitably be hilly (no pun intended!)
  • Can't see it being a hilly course if it's going to be along the coastal park. The biggest worry will be the wind. It can can phenominally windy along there. Have done the 10k and half-marathon there and your eaither running straight into the wind or it's right behind you. They say it's an out and back course, so at least you get it in equal measures. Hope it's not twice round the half-marathon course though.

• Bummer.  Logged on to enter and now the date has changed, don't think I'll be able to do it now. And that is the same date as Lochaber too.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I would have preferred it to have stayed as the 4th April, but they obviously had good reason to change it.
  • I can all but guarantee wind. Most of my miles are along the coast about 5-10 miles east of Llanelli and you know you'll have the wind in your face one way... then the wind in your face on the way back!! But that's the Swansea Bay for you. If I try to run anywhere else I fall flat on my face!!!!

As for the date, remember this is a small scale launch. Personally, I have a clash with the new marathon in Brighton which I had hoped to do. It may be that they realise there is potential to grow, but by moving the date forward a week or two. The half is usually early March, so early April is still possible.