Options

Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• Options

sorry to hear that Phil. But sounds like the right thing to do. rest and treatment is always the right choice with an injury.

Off to Pembrokshire tomorrow. Hope to get in some running by the sea.

• Options

I was going to post about my injury, but it seems I'm not alone!

I think the 5k in the week wearing my very tight racers managed to bruise my foot which I then aggravated on my Saturday run. I couldn't walk in a shoe after that. Fortunately, I did a few miles along Caswell Beach, then the grass at Pembrey yesterday to keep things ticking.

Needless to say, I'm a little worried! But it happens EVERY time! And always something different!!

Should be ok.  

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Cable - not alone at all! My left shin was making walking difficult yesterday and doesn't seem much better today. Resting and crossing fingersimage
  • Options

Morning,

Oh dear, reading these posts there seem to be a few injuries lurking. Hope everyone has a speedy recovery and is injury / pain free for the day. Phil - I'm sorry to hear will not be able to run the marathon - does sound serious if the pain is present at the start of a run. hope it gets better soon.

In terms of LSR's - my (pathetic) longest run was 16miles, so way short on what I'd hoped for. Will definitely be treating the marathon as a 'get round to the finish line' without going for a time. Still hope to do sub 5 hours. Will be raising money for a cancer centre in Cardiff who I work closely with, so that will give me the motivation & determination to finish.

Has anyone received their race number yet?

Anyone planning to get to the start a little after 7.30am? I know it's important to arrive early for a race, to avoid delays & to be fair to the organisers, but 90 minutes early seems a bit excessive -especially given the field is 500 runners (still 500 I assume?)

What do other people think?

• Options

Gosh, 7.30 is very early, i did the london half with thousands of runners and it only took an hour to get through to the start!! I havent had my race stuff through yet either.

God soooo nervous!!!!!!!

• Options
    no pack yet cable and jd hope things ok when ive been reading your posts they been making me try and do a bit more so fingers x starting to get a bit of confidance this last couple of days.10miles sat.14 sun 6 mon and just finished my 13miler.but back in work wednesday night so got 7. 12hrs shifts to look forward to.roll on naxt wed.good luck all not long now.
  • Options

Cheers for that - it seems to have moved to my big toe! Although that may be the compensation of running bare foot. I'll try a slow job in trainers later.

JD - yours sounds more a case of rest - sure it will be ok.

It's funny (perhaps ironic, more than funny!) in that every year I get something that will jeopardise my run just before the big day, but it always seems to go ok! I never know how much is in my head! Probably about 90%!

7.30 is early for me. I fancy around 8am but don't anyone risk arriving late! I get in easily for the half, but there were tailbacks for my entourage which left 20 mins later!!!

FIRST ONE TO GET A PACK WINS A PRIZE!! Let everyone know. My guess is I'll get it on Monday 19th!

• Options

Hi, Cable - Was thinking of arriving 8ish too. There's a little housing estate opp. the discovery centre -(some spaces alongside a small green area) if car park is busy. Just hoping I don't foget to collect the timing chip on the day! No pack arrived yet............then again I never received the website login activation - did anyone else?

Nerves have started already - probably because deep down I know I haven't run far enough. Just hope experience & my history of running 1/2's gets me round, albeit slowly. how is everybody else feeling?

• Options

I stopped by the start on Monday and there are certainly nowhere near the parking spaces as there are for the half.

I'm nervous but not because of my training, which I can say was as good as I could expect. It's my traditional pre-race injury that's struck again!

4 miles at lunch - discomfort but easing if anything during the run. At least it will stop me doing too much.

• Options

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether we are expecting to receive stuff (like numbers) in the post for this event or is it a case of picking up your number on the day?.

Ta,

Dave

• Options

davem123 - think it's just the chip to pick up on the day, race number etc should be in the post.

Cable & JD - hope the niggles sort themselves out.

LTS - I'm sure it will all come together for you on the day.

Nerves OK here, enjoying the taper, training has gone pretty much to plan,. Fingers crossed I'll get around (this is my first mara attempt) and will be over the moon if I manage below 4.30. Will aim to arrive about 8.00.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    According to this site c/d for the race was today, so packs soon I guess- though mag has later closing date-?? Sounds typicalimage. No running for me since Sunday, difficult to walk on left leg yesterday- slight improvement today, so hoping I'll be there....image
  • Options
    I think the race organizes are trying to keep us on our toes,as you say we most likely get them next week ( hope i'm wrong though) Good luck to those who has injury's and first timers,stay positive everyone.
  • Options

A few updates on the website...

Packs were sent out yesterday, so should be with us by Saturday.

They now have a list of entrants - I'm in! JD - say your name. LTS - I thought it was you! I've been cheering you on since your 'Milers' days!

They also state that parking is in the Festival Fields (as half) which is 3/4 mile away from the start. Not sure what to do now, as I don't know if there is a bag storage area and I like to get ready gradually - especially if the weather is bad!!

• Options

Thanks for the update.  image Hopefully you've forgotten my awful badminton playing - I was terrible - always seeded near the back!

Will have a quick look at the website today - interesting to see who else has entered.

Hope everyone's injuries / niggles heal soon. I've come down with a cold (have been bug free for 7 months) hoping it clears by next week.

Easy 5 miles planned later. Lovely weather for running in today.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Life's Too Short wrote (see)
    Will have a quick look at the website today - interesting to see who else has entered.

Already checked, we're ok - none of the Kenyans have enteredimage

I'm inimage!

Cable- 3/4m away is quite a way- especially AFTER the raceimage. Might look into a Plan B.... Hope the foot's better

Leg steadily getting better, but can't see me running for next couple of daysimage. Hoping lay-off will do me good....

• Options

Jd and Cable, Things are bound to tighten up when you cut milage. Hope TLC will do the trick over next week as you've put in all the hard days already.

hilly 12 on Wed and tendon in leg started to burn again about ten. I recon its the hills that are triggering it. Lots of ice and it was better today for an easy five. Will try flatter 10 tomorrow; which will be may last run over 10 before the big day!

I'm on the list. Plan to arrive by 7:30 with a good book. Don't plan much of a warm up so shall enjoy an hour of quiet. (not that I won't miss the girls, baby, dog and long suffering wife!)  

• Options

Hooray! I win!! - Got my pack in the post yesterday!!

I'm number 2008! How does that work?! I had my heart set on single digits!! I see what they've done, there are generic numbers for all the HBA races. Presumably I'm the 8th entrant in the marathon!

Staff - just take it easy. Get someone to tie you down!! And leave those hills alone!! You don't need hill training as it's almost totally flat. 7.30 arrival means a very early start for you. Won't be much fun!

Planning a jog today - the foot still hurts a little, but hasn't affected my running. It's holding me back, as I said. 

• Options

Hi, received race number this morning - 2054.

Like the comment in the race pack: 'dont forget to give a smile when passing the camera especially at the finish (if possible)'  think mine will be more a grimace.

Hope these niggles heal soon for you Jd, stafford & Cable. (Have you decided whether to run this Jd, or leaving it a few more days to see how it goes?)

Hope I'm not tempting fate, but I checked the long term weather forecast, and it looks lovely for the next 10 days - including sunday 18th. 

hope the taper (& carbo loading) goes well for everyone.

• Options
    Every other marathon I've run, I've prayed it isn't too sunny! For this one, I'll make an exception!!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Staff- be carefulimage 

2086 for meimage

LTS - will be running ( I hope!!) Leg continues to improve- no pain when walking this morning, but will leave it a while before trying a runimage Just hope lay-off won't affect fitness too much....

• Options

It won't affect your fitness - at least not proportionately to how much your body will recover generally. I know that doesn't seem to make sense but by all accounts it's true! The only exception is if you've gone from zero exercise prior to starting this programme, which I know you haven't!

Use this time to recover and feel smug for getting the key parts of your training right!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Cable - cheers for that- know it makes sense, but it's always good hearing it from someone elseimage
  • Options
    I just need to pretend someone else has written it and listen to their advice as I'm in the same boat!!!  
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Cable:

Cable wrote (see)

It won't affect your fitness - at least not proportionately to how much your body will recover generally. I know that doesn't seem to make sense but by all accounts it's true! The only exception is if you've gone from zero exercise prior to starting this programme, which I know you haven't!

Use this time to recover and feel smug for getting the key parts of your training right!

There you go! imageimage

• Options

Got my pack today - 2104 for me.

Getting excited now image 

• Options

That's good advice JD - you are clearly a man who knows what he's talking about!!!!!!

Whoever has race number 2001 - unlucky, on another day it'd be 1!

• Options

Easy ten this morning. Couldn't help myself. Gorgeous morning. Did walk up the hill from Fresh Water East so no hill running. Leg was fine!  and that is it! Just easy short runs up to the big day now.

Got home from Pembrokeshire this evening to find my number 2320. Long range forcast is sunny and cool. Can't wait.

• Options

race no 2033

I went down to llanelli this morning to have a look at it all.....cycled 18 miles then ran 5 miles.........the area is really scenic.........but pleased that I went because i was expecting totollay flat and there are undulations and a few of the turn round points are a bit of a pain................it was warm down there this morning but not too much wind.............the path was really busy in places though and at other places I was wondering if we would be on the road or on the path...........

it did seem a long way and my hamstring still isn't right.so hopefully after sports massage on tuesday i will have  a better idea if OI will be running this or notimage

• Options
    hi all 2106 num 4me.did my last long run last night.best ive felt all training upto now.did the roman run from brecon to merthyr and did a pb by 7min so realy happy now.have any of you done that run.must be the best around.put it in your plans for september.short 1 sunday then every other till friday not long now. hope im in bed sleeping this time next week atb