Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• Only been back training a few weeks following injury so just going to have to use this as a long training run. I see a few others are in the same situation as me, whether injured, or just suffering from stomach bugs / cold infections. The weather hasn't helped much either.

Race pack came yesterday too.  When i saw my race number I figured there weren't 2000 entrants somehow image 

• seren, have you done the llanelli half? from what i can see its the same course in my opinion its far from flat, my half time was 1-2 minute slower then usual.

i was hoping to find a gmaps map of the course so i could zoom in and follow it easily the course maps in sections on the site is quite hard to follow.

got my race pack very excited now!!!!

• Good luck to everyone running next week at Llanelli next week. I'll be doing London the following week, otherwise I would be running. I'll be there spectating with a bug bag of jelly babies anyway. Hope the weather is good and no wind!!

This is my first post on this one, but thought I'd wish you all good luck......

Enjoy!!
  • The course is generally flat apart from two "humps" over the railway.
  • Thanks richard.

No lloyd I haven't done the llanelli half..its always clashed with something............

Kev....in my mind it would be totally flat like the railway line.....but cycling it i realised that it wasn't..............still not a hill in sight or anything nasty but just glad i realised now that it does undulate a bit............and we have to go up over that one bridge by the 2nd lake 4 times in totalimage....I will get annoyed at running that little loop underneath................and on the first time around ...not sure if there will be enough space with people running in both directions.........

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Staff - glad your betterimage

FA- you tooimage

SN - as you say, a few undulations, noticeably the bridges and a high point right next to the car park- which we have to pass a number of times!! Not sure that we have to go over any bridges 4 times though-?? Hope your hamstring is on the mend and you make the raceimage

Powell1 - I did the Roman Run last yearimage. Ran it about 6 weeks before Snowdonia mara- perfect profile for training for that one. Loved the race and definitely back for more this yearimage

Huge sigh of relief here - 1 week before race day and I'm a runner again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageimageimageimageimage ( No apologies for the smilies). Started slowly today- I even subconsciously gave a little hop as I set off in anticipation of the pain- but nothing. Made a point of keeping the pace very conservative and was only going to do 4-6m, but felt so heavy that I thought I'd try to do a bit more for confidence as much as anything else. Legs loosened up and remembered how to run again, and eventually ended up doing the scheduled 13m, but more slowly than normal. So very happy and relieved. Ice bath and compression tights onimage and no signs of ill-effects. Only other runs for this week are a few slow recovery runs before Sunday's outingimage  

• Hi all,on the countdown to next week now,ran the hospice of the valleys 10k this morning trying to get these legs turning over after weeks of long running!having done the llanelli half I can say the course is definateley not flat and I am hoping and praying for no wind and rain!see you all sunday!   
  • Jason......the bridge is the one just before the 2 mile mark.......you run over it.then go to the turnaround point..then run back..............and then on the way back towards the headquarters yoiu have to do it again..........image

I diod the roman road last year for the first time and it started me off road running as I loved it....will be back there this year to get a decent timeimage

•  I am starting to get worried now, was expecting the route to be completely flat, I have previously run Cardiff, Abingdon & London marathons. Does anybody know if this one is about the same as those?
  • its only a few bumps/ underlations really but I'm glad I realise that in my mind............nothing hilly at all....image
  • cheers seren,

maybe I can stop worrying now. image

• nice easy 8 thismorning and 41 for the week. Looking forward to nice easy week.

Glad to here the niggles have cleared up JD

Surley there can't be much in the way of hills? Anglesea Marathon was all undulations that added up to 300m of ascent and descent! I'm expecting this one to be farely flat as in NO hills that last for a mile and climb 80m. After all we do live in Wales!......and I havent even mentioned Snowdon

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

SN - not sure, but I thought we crossed the bridge at 2m (Pont d'Agen), continued to Sandy Bridge -400m? on the other side, then ran up to top of Sandy Bridge and into Sandy water park without re-crossing Pont d'Agen, running along road adjacent to outward route -?? I hope your right cos the path to the top of sandy Bridge is narrow and there is a sharp turn onto the pavement next to a busy road at the topimage

Staff- this will definitely be flatter than Snowdon, possibly less windy than last year's Snod as wellimage

Joe - no worriesimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    SN - no, I think you're right now I've checked againimage
  • evening! Well 1 week to go - the time has really gone by quickly. Welcome to those new to this forum post - hope you have a good run on sunday.

Lovely weather this weekend - hope it lasts until marathon day.

I did a slow 5k relay leg today (not feeling 100% so took it as a training run) - perhaps a bit silly so close to the marathon, but couldnt resist a club relay close to home.

Am starting to get worried as my cold is not getting any better, and historically the virus has gone down to my chest after a week or so. Still got a few days to get it out of my system, so hoping it clears by midweek. 

I'm yet to get my head round the entire course map for sunday - (too many twists & turns for my brain to take in this time of night) Will have another look tomorrow..........

Re: undulations - they felt quite easy when doing the 10k, but will proably be quite energy-sapping for the marathon - good news is that none of them go on for too long.

wishing everyone good luck for sunday. image

• Hi All,

Last training run. Did 26.2m at race pace. Feeling really stiff now. Ok, that's not strictly true, but I need to get a sense of what's it'll be like this time next week with London on the Sunday! I do know I'm mad!! In case I change my mind later, Llanelli is the one that matters - VLM will be a bit of fun!!

Welcome Richard - see you at London!

Easy 10 and the foot felt fine, although it's hurt ever since. Hopefully in my head as usual!

JD - Glad it seems better. Just go easy still as it may well flare up again.

JP - This will be a much better course than Cardiff, if a little 'samey'. Cardiff had a couple of small killer hills, plus the section out around the Bay was every bit as windy.

• Thanx cable,

wast at cardiff bay in the week, was really windy then & i wondered if llanelli could be as bad, but having never been to llanelli can't possibily comment til next week. image

• It really is so hit and miss. The last 2 weekends in Swansea Bay have seen me almost washed into the sea one week and burnt the next! Dare I say it, it won't be impossibly windy on Sunday, but wind will play a factor at some point.

My foot hurts!

• It was ok last saturday but then anything can happen with the weather...............anyone looked at the forecasts yet????

also anyone got a copy of the map on one page.i'm trying to give instructions for my supporters but the map they give on all those pages is ridiculous

• Sunny by all accounts! Interestingly, Saturday looks like the wind has dropped.

If you don't mind e-mailing, I can e-mail back a route I've put together. Nothing technical, but it helps me get perspective.

• thanks cable

I have messaged you through RW with my email address.

If it dowesn't get through I will try something different this evening

thanks

• i have family coming to support they haven't a clue of the route,the segments on the site make it very hard to follow, a simple route drawn on gmaps would of been so much easier, must of taken them ages to do segments
  • If you want I can send you the route. It's helped us work it out.

My wife and I sat down with it last night - our game plan is either that they arrive around 9.15 or 11 into the Festival Fields Car Park. From there, they will find a spot around mile 4-5 (17-20 on way back).  They will see me around 9.35 on the way out, then about 11.15 on the way back (hence poss 11 arrival!)

There is a funny bit around miles 18-20, so realistically they will see me 3 times between 11.15 and 11.45. From there, it's a 0.75m walk (in around 45 minutes) to the finish.

If you all get your supporters to copy - don't make them stand in front of my 2 and 3 year olds!!!!  

• Morning. forecast looks good into next week. 1 day of rain forecast for next week - main thing is it looks dry and sunny for the day.

Cable - if I do the same would you mind emailing me the map too? I would be very grateful - thanks.Am starting to get v worried now - cold is getting worse, and now the cough has started.  image This wouldnt put me off a 1/2 but marathon is entirely different ball game. Congestion has kept me awake last 3 nights in a row - so had 3 bad nights sleep on the trot.

...Still 5 days to go, but any advice v welcome?? I will be gutted if the common cold prevents me from doing this race!

How is everyone else doing this week?

• rest and drink plenty of water is the only advise,just have to see if thats enough before the day.

if you have a chest infection i would see a doc for antibiotics

i went out his morning for a run thinking it was sunny so just wore a t shirt, the wind was freezing, i now feel cold hope i haven't caught something.my wife thinks she is getting a cold would be just my luck

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Hi guys - calming thoughts to everybodyimageimage

LTS- Lloyd is right. Hope you get well soonimage

Cable - hope your foot gets better. Don't let your 2 and 3 year olds get in front of my bottle carriersimage

Had a massage today on my poor legs. Massage was not too painful and feel much better. Turns out my shin problem is down to my quad muscle being tight and pulling on the point it attaches to the shinimage- good news apparently! More quad stretches recommended. No running todayimage

• I dont know how many of you will be listening to music / podcasts on Sunday, but I'm just building my play list for the race.

Does anyone have a view on David Essex for a good 9min / mile pace? or is Boney-M a better option?

Thanks

• Reading these comments it is not easy waiting the last week for a marathon!!

LTS..If its just a head cold you'll be ok; if it goes to your chest your in trouble! try olbas oil on your pillow for decongestant.

Good news about shin JD

The map I got from Cable does a much better job...Recommended!

Easy 6 this morning, frost at 6am, lovely weather, hope it holds.

• DolphinFriendly wrote (see)

I dont know how many of you will be listening to music / podcasts on Sunday, but I'm just building my play list for the race.

Does anyone have a view on David Essex for a good 9min / mile pace? or is Boney-M a better option?

Thanks

I'm suprised if ipods aren't banned......they are in most races now.................be careful that you don't have it on too loud as there are loads of bikes on route including kids on bikes etc and you might not hear them warn you about going past.........

managed a 4 miler this morning.........still not right but I think I'm likely to get to the start line

• Cable - I just sent you a quick message RE; the map. Would you mind letting me know if you dont receive it?  Thanks.

Thanks for the advice & feedback to my earlier question.Been looking back at all the messages of support from family, friends & colleagues, so pretty determined I will make it to the start, even if cold is still lingering.

Seren - hopefully see you there on the day - fingers crossed for you!