Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• Hi all, I'm a very late addition to this thread.  A club buddy can no longer do it, so I plan on taking his place. image

I understand numbers have been posted (I will collect that from him) and that chips need to be collected on the day, ideally about 90mins before the start of 0900.  Hence we need to be there from about 0730.

Is there anything else specific I need to worry about?

I might try to get a bit of training in before Sunday lol image

• That's about it Daz and the Metcheck forecast is looking good at the mo. Sun/bit of cloud & light winds image
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hope this race goes well for you all.  Good luck and hope that wind stays awayimage
  • Went to club training last night (but didn't compete with the 'bigger boys'!) and felt no pain in my foot, so really pleased.

I've had a pretty useful response from the race organiser about the issue over parking and chip collection. Basically, there are loos at the parking and the HQ (where you get your chip). They also have a baggage storage facility - for one bag per runner - so I suggest heading to the HQ, rather than staying by your car as you slowly undress!! He made a good point about chip collection on the day. The cost per chip is so high with such a small number running that they couldn't justify posting.

And the weather forecast talks of sun and...would you believe it..a 5mph wind!!!!

The only thing to top that off would be Spurs beating Arsenal!!!!!  

• I knew it was going too well!

There's a snake on the loose in the Llanelli area! That'd be my luck to get bitten on 25 miles!!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Cable- Glad the foot's betterimage. Thanks for the infoimage- don't really get the point about the cost of posting the chips though- surely they could have just stuck them in with the race numbers? Not a problem though.

Think there's more chance of getting bitten by the snake than of Spurs beating Arsenalimage

Confident of making the race now- still slight twinge, but nothing to mention- probably wouldn't even think about it if hadn't been injured.  

Not long now!

• Hi daz wuill hopefully see you sunday.image

My leg is still niggling but then i can't remember a time whebn something didn't hurt so will just start running in sunday and see how far I getimage....probably just nerves noticing every pain.....and i have  afewimage

• Know this might be a stupid question, but how do you find  friends and family on the race day, tell them to go to say mile 11 and just look out for them???

Also  i have never been to Llanelli before,going on my own, where is the best place to park, i think i am more nervous about all  the faffing about before hand then the marathon itself!!!! 

One last one, should i be carbing it up now until sunday??

Thanks, i am new to all of this!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

LL- as far as friends and family are concerned- I think that's the only way- bear in mind that mile 11 is a good way from the startimage

There is free parking marked on the website, about 0.75m from the start.

Yep, carb loading time! imageDon't forget some protein as well- helps with carb absorbtion as well as repairing muscle.

SN - probably is nerves- i've been the same but had good run today and feel more confident- did 6m with 2m at MP and no niggles (well hardly!). Much more confident nowimage. Just a slow 4m for me tomorrow and maybe the same Saturday morning. And lots of carb loading here tooimage

• cable and jd u both still looking for that3.15time. staff did u also mention about the same time.if so im hoping to try and stick around for has long has i can 20mile hopfully. then struggle on i hope.seems to be the only thing im thinking about.i must have run it 10times in my head.roll on 1pm sunday?
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Powell, if weather's ok, hoping to run 7.10 pace- (slightly faster for first half)- fingers crossed- image Know what you mean - I'm even running it in my sleep at nightsimage
  • powell.at 1 pm sunday.please think of me because I will still be runningimage
  • ditto Seren - dont think I'll even make last orders for sunday lunch now. image

Still got this wretched cold - had it 9 days now, just want it to go for sunday. 

LL - how many family members / supporters are coming with you? I'm getting my fiance to stand near the discovery centre in llanelli (race hq) and the in-laws will be at burry port harbour.

Hope you find the parking and the start ok - guess you have the extra stress of not knowing the course route too - so good luck on the day!

What are people doing in terms of running with gels / plasters etc? I've decided to wear shorts with 2 pockets rather than opting for a running belt. 

• Seren......your the real hero!...(LTS add you to that list)

Powel...definately want my 3:15. Am worried about course being slightly too long so will probably aim at about 3:10 pace or just over. JD will probably be just too quick for my pace. Leg has been ok this week but will be on my mind the whole race.

As for carbing up! I've been on the crumpets and honey, fresh fruit salads, chocolate puddings with custard. Saturday night plan large home made pizza with whole meal pasta.

• JD - Check out Wednesday night's football results! I think the point on the chips is every non-returned chip costs them £40, which soon adds up, so best not to post them.

SN - If nothing hurt, I'd be worried! Every marathon I've done I've had a niggle on the day which has made me question whether I should run, and all have disappeared!!

Powell and others - I'm still hoping for 3.15-18 and will be starting off at 7.20-7.20 pace - so watching JD slowly disappear!!!

In case this is my last post - all the best and thanks for a great forum. I hope to see or cheer you all on the day.

My final stats - Appearance - As my picture! - Green 3M Gorseinon vest, with a white and pink 'Lily Foundation' logo on back - running for friends daughter, blue shorts packed with all manner of food and drink(!) and yellow shoes. Aiming for 3.15-3.18 and number 2008.  

• Weather forecast looking good.  No fast attempt from me, just a training run methinks.

See ya there.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Hi Dazimage

Cable - big thanks to you for all the info you've passed on - look forward to seeing you Sunday, although I'll still be here until saturday nightimage

Staff - good luck mate, sure the leg will be fine if it's been ok this weekimage. Good chance that  all of us aiming for 3.10-3.20 will end up running together at some point- going to be tough to run solo for 26.2m at race paceimage 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Busy eating pasta and baking banana and pecan loafimage. Scheduled for a 5m recovery run today, but putting it off as long as possible to give me something to look forward toimage
  • good luck 2 eveyone on sunday pity that i had 2 pull out looking at tenby marathon in sept
  • Why havent I been getting notifications of this thread - thought you'd all be quiet image
  • You've got to read every time you get the e-mail or you stop getting the warnings!

Hope your training has gone well.

That's it for me. 3 miles earlier, now an early night tonight and tomorrow I'm insisting on being carried around the house by the kids all day!!! Why can't every day be the day before a marathon?!!

DEFINITELY MY LAST POST!! - Well done to everyone. We've already done all the hard work and this is the bit we 'enjoy'! Whatever the day brings, I hope you all get to feel proud of what you've done, because you should be - whether first time, or 41st. And when that moment comes when your body tells you enough is enough and to stop - just remember that 15 weeks of constant hard work will be over in less than an hour! And just enjoy it.

See you Sunday!!

• looking forward to this  now ....
  • this will be my first marathon couldnt resist as i live in llanelli, my race number is 2257 running in white top blue shorts. aiming  for a time between 3.30 and 4 hrs wind permiting  cant wait good luck to you all for sunday
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

5m slow recovery run for me today and I spent most of the time worrying about getting injured - lol- so think that's my lot- give it a miss tomorrow and have a rest day ready for the offimage

Good luck everyone, see you Sundayimage

• thx to u all realy injoyed the posts. it kept me going when things were a bit down.realy nervous.im still calling this my first mara because my last one was 22yrs ago.good luck everyone.im 2106 with the bright yellow t shirt thx
  • Great forum, see you all there, good luck!
  • Good luck all, thanks for all the support and encouragement along the way.

Hope everyone has a great day! 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

********************STOP PRESS***************image

They've changed the course!!!!!!!!!

Probably for the best, as it means more running on tarmac. Check out the website

• Best of luck to all, hope everyone gets the time they're after. I'll be wearing number 2022, see you all  tomorrow.
  • Good luck everyone, if the weather stays like this it should be a cracking day for a nice long run around the coast  image