Options

Needed an ambulance last night..

Ran a gentle 6.9 miles last night and developed severe stomach pain and an upset stomach on the way round. Got so bad towards the end that I had to walk home to prevent anything embarrassing happening...

Ran straight to the loo when I got in and had severe diarrhea then couldn't physically move because my stomach seemed to go into spasm and I was screaming and crying in pain. Stood up eventually and felt like I was going to faint - pain almost knocked me out. OH phoned ambulance and they laid me down and tried to control my breathing/pulse (through the roof) and put me on oxygen. Ambulance man felt my stomach and said there was nothing bad he could feel and after 30 minutes or so, the pain subsided.

Stomach and ribs still in terrible pain this morning, really sore and tender. Ambulance man couldn't pinpoint what had happened - he thinks I may have twisted something or just that I have a stomach bug and that running for an hour aggravated it. He noted that I was very thin - to which I said, I'm 9 stone 4 and 5'5 - hardly!

Really scared that it will happen again image obviously resting now 'til I feel 100% - anyone else had this trouble?

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Bloody hell D2D, that sounds nasty, and I can understand your worrying about what caused it.

I've had stomach cramps and sudden need to go to the loo when out running (yes - before you ask - I've done it in the undergrowth image but at least I took the trouble to bury it) but nothing anywhere near that violent.

I'd suggest some short, easy, 'speculative' runs once you're feeling better.

• Options
    Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

1986 was when I was born image

Going for another 6.9 miler in a bit - hope I don't feel violently sick tonight!

you mentioned feeling ill before the run  and have mentioned problems with a headache a few days ago running.

8 minute miling is not a gentle run really........you have to listen to your body more.........it was telling you to take it easy and rest..........

it's obvious you were going down with something and should have had your feet up tapering for the day.......which is what I suggest you do now..........unless you start listening to the warning signs you will leap from one crisis to another........

take care and rest

• Options

An ambulance for a TUMMY CRAMP? image

Great use of resources!
  • Options

D2D if you look at the schedule for a 3:45 marathon time then you would be doing 8 min'miling for a half marathons and your slow and easy runs should be between 9 and 10 min miles.............if you are doing all your runs at 8 m/m it might be a reason why your having so many problems in comparision to the rest of the running forum.

I know these are only a guide and i'm not sure what schedule you are following. But its not a good idea to tun loads of miles all at a quick pace.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the cramps. If it was anything serious they would have taken you in for checking up.......food posioning can be pretty nasty ( especially if pregnant) but unlikely as you have not been right for a few days.

• Options
    Eating dirty turkey is a common cause of stomach upsets.
  • Options
    severe stomach cramps/spasms after running is not uncommon - my missus gets this from time to time and I can see how uncomfy she is with it. you just have to learn to toughen it out as there's very little you can do. it's not necessarily an infection and the diarrhoea is also symptomatic of the issue.

live with it and HTFU

• Options
    D2D, hope you feel better soon, and take it easy now so you are ready for Abingdon
  • Options

ewwwww Mr P, grosssss  image

• Options
    I can't understand why you continue to do this to yourself D2D, talk about self destructive behaviour.
  • Options

D2D...Is it possible it might not be running related?

I don't know...but the pain etc could be something like a gallstone or some kind of infection.  Mind you, then, why would it only start when running?  Unless the running aggrevates it.  Do you feel ok when you are NOT running?  Have you introduced anything new into your diet?

I also know someone (a fellow runner) who has been off work with symptoms exactly like yours, REALLY bad pain, and it turns out she had a kidney infection, brought on (and certainly not helped by) not drinking enough fluids.  The doc pointed out that drinking so little fluids whilst running was especially dangerous and has told her how much she needs to drink (which she is struggling with!).  I know you were a bit concerned about fluids...could it be lack of them.  How much would you say you drunk per day????

Hope you feel better soon.

x

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Hope you feel better soon D2D, take it easy when you get back.
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Just take it really easy, get lots of rest, eat well, drink well and don't go out for a run until you're feeling 100% again.

I don't expect to read from you on "My Last Run" for a while.  Get better.
  • Options

Spasms and cramps? Jesus, tell me about them. Try haemorrhaging as well. Maybe you have a low pain threshold?

So go see your doctor if you're worried, he/she will be able to conduct blood/urine tests as necessary. I think if the ambulance guys had felt that there was anything seriously wrong with your kidneys or any other part of you, they would have admitted you.

Take the advice - if you have to pull out of Abingdon and rest then pull out - there will be other races.

• Options
    "I was SCREAMING (I'm talking deafening agonising screaming not just 'ahhh my stomach hurts') and crying in pain"

I have seen my missus like that with the same issue you had - did we call an ambulance?? No - because we knew it would pass and sure it hurts like feck when it happens. She has a tough constitution I'll give her that

get a frigging grip on life and stop being an attention seeker
  • Options

to be fair D2D. t

the remarks were expected as the ambulance people didn't find a major problem and didn't take you in for assessment......... therefore if the ambulance people didn't feel you needed an ambulance you can see why forum people would think the same..

• Options

D2D, I hope you get better. Regarding the ambulance, well if my other half comes home screaming her head off. I guess
    a) she`s not in a good mood.
    b) she having one of those moments.
    c) she practising giving birth.

OH did the right thing because of concern for you.
    I had stomach trouble once after feeling abit unwell but decided to run a half marathon. (big, big mistake) Ran feeling really bad, stomach hurting, no chance of pulling out. Looking for a toilet which lucky was a McDonalds.  Carry on and did a crap (pardon the pun) time.

• Options

Personally, I don't think it's for any of us to judge whether someone should "need" an ambulance or not...who are we to say?

I am pretty sure it must have hurt like hell, it's not like you would just call an ambulance for the hell of it, and you can't be take any chances.  I am sure people use NHS resources for a lot less than this!

Hope you feel better soon.  xx

• Options

"I can't understand why you continue to do this to yourself D2D"

Yes, because I do this on purpose. I actually love being in crazy amounts of pain. image

You may not think you are directly doing it on purpose, but the amount of injuries and issues you've had that relate to your running are certainly not normal, so there is something that you are doing that is causing you these problems, because all these things in a short span is not normal at all.

TBH, I am suprised your OH / family / friends aren't questioning these things a bit more before you do yourself some serious and permanent damage.

• Options

Glad you are feeling a bit better D2D.  Just keep rested now and try and get yourself fit...hell, I can't be the only ipod wearer out there you know!!

I have been a bit tired to be honest.  Meant to do 14 yesterday, but listened to my body (for once!) and will venture out in bit for a birthday runimage!  Yep, it's my birthday...cake later I think!   Weather is glorious.   I am sure you will be fine for Abingdon, but don't do anything daft!!!

Catch you later

xx

• Options

Fair enough, carry on as normal (before) then image

Edit : shouldn't really say normal, just incase a single word gets totally taken and blown out of all proportion, AGAIN.

• Options

D2D - a friend of mine had the exact experience  you described - turned out to be an ovarian cyst.  Not suggesting for a second that that is what you have - just saying that there could be more to this than a bad case of runners trots.

Any chance of an ultrasound?  Have you got a history of gynae issues?

• Options

You forgot breathlessness, oh and memory loss....or did you ever find that MP3 player? image

Sorry D2D but you are always going to get negative responses when you headline a thread with 'Needed an ambulance last night' which stinks of 'oh poor little old me'. What's wrong with 'Severe stomach pain during/after running' as a thread title.......that's what most normal people might post....and then maybe mention paramedic care within the text.

Personally I would have called NHS Direct as a first port of call, they have trained staff who can decide if emergency care is needed or not