Needed an ambulance last night..

Comments

• Jokerman wrote (see)

Surely the 999 operator doesn't take the decision by themself if they have a concern. Don't they refer it to their supervisor?

Why would they assume somone is taking the piss, at the risk of someone dying? It must be a sacking offence.

Sounds very odd to me.

a 999 operator makes no decisions at all,  they put the emergency call through to the designated Emergency Service and it is them that triage the call ....  I cannot speak for the Amb Service but each call my lot take from the BT Operator (who you speak to when you dial 999) is dealt with on its own merit and when in doubt they get a response ...
  • I've had an ambulance called for me - work weren't too impresssed when I collapsed on the floor of the corridor. Apparently I went into shock, so they called an ambulance. No flashing lights, but a trip to A&E in the back of an ambulance followed.

PloddingOn wrote (see)

Still went in the ambulance though  

Most EMBARRASING thing on the ENTIRE planet!!!  image

Yup! Although being carried out of the building on the chair-bed thing tops it by a head - had quite an audience to see me off...

Gastroentiritis apparently. Haven't had a tesco chinese meal since...

• We've had to call out an ambulance 3 times in the middle of the night when my son's had breathing difficulties. Last time they set a PB of about 5 minutes. Can't praise them highly enough
  • I had to get am ambulance 3 months ago when the top of my finger got chopped off by an errant chair in a cafe.  I shouted out 'Could someone call an ambulance please' and it arrived less than 5 minutes later.....they'd been at the top of the road in Starbucks ordering a coffee.  They joked that they didn't get their coffee because they had to come get me, so when they went into the cafe to find out exactly what had happened, they managed to score a box of free cakes!!!!  Jammy buggers!  Needless to say, my pal and I didn't get our coffee either (I actually said " I think we should cancel our order"!!!) and bascially were starving by the time someone fed us in the hospital about 8 hours later! hehehehe

It was fun driving through Edinburgh with the lights on....me in the chair, and the top of my finger in a bowl strapped to the bed! image

• My dad was having serious chest pains and when we phoned the doctor he told us that it would be quicker if we drove ourselves to casualty - I put on the hazard lights and took off at the speed of light - turns out he had acute pericarditis (and has now been sick for 18 years!)

The hospital staff were waiting for us when we arrived at the hospital - the second time it happened the cardiac ambulance came out because of his history - they were there in a matter of minutes (turned out he had peri and myocarditis - this was two weeks after he took early retirement image)

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    Basil Brush Mk II wrote (see)
    Most of the NHS system is good and staffed by sensible people, Jokerman. However there are always some people who just get it plain wrong. This wouldn't be the first time I've heard a story like Giraffe's.
    I've never had one refused, but then again I tend not to call my own when having severe allergic responses! The problem round here is that I tend to need medical attention when the pubs are spilling out and every ambulance in Warrington is busy with binge drinkers (the paramedics words not mine) and therefore they have to source one from further afield. I recall once sitting in majors and realising that I was the only person there who had not brought their condition about themselves. Made me wonder how the A&E staff cope - I know I couldn't do that job.
    I worked New Year's Eve night shift in 2004/5 in A&E. I treated one sober patient all night. I was in a FOUL mood by the time the morning SHO came on.
  • The incident I'm recalling involved being electrocuted. I was extremely distressed and as I have SVT and my heart was all over the place, they were keeping a close eye on me. The whole of majors was chaos. One bloke was walking round with half a bottle sticking out of his skull, screaming that "nobody was f**king touching" him and another girl was vomiting onto the floor. She was 14 and pissed as a fart.

Then there was the asthmatic woman who was mid attack and decided that she'd need a fag soon....image 

The most tragic case was the 15 year old girl in the next bay who had slit her wrists. She'd done it the day before and was planning to do it the next day until she killed herself. God knows what she was going through mentally. She was from Dudley so I have no idea why she was in Warrington but she was in a terrible state.

This was apparently a normal day.image

How do you do it BB?

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

The incident I'm recalling involved being electrocuted. I was extremely distressed and as I have SVT and my heart was all over the place, they were keeping a close eye on me. The whole of majors was chaos. One bloke was walking round with half a bottle sticking out of his skull, screaming that "nobody was f**king touching" him and another girl was vomiting onto the floor. She was 14 and pissed as a fart.

Then there was the asthmatic woman who was mid attack and decided that she'd need a fag soon....image 

The most tragic case was the 15 year old girl in the next bay who had slit her wrists. She'd done it the day before and was planning to do it the next day until she killed herself. God knows what she was going through mentally. She was from Dudley so I have no idea why she was in Warrington but she was in a terrible state.

This was apparently a normal day.image

How do you do it BB?

I don't any more - I did enjoy A&E but the drunken rubbish really got me down (as did the endless, senseless, no-life-outside-work shift pattern). GP was always going to be my career choice anyway, but we still get some drunken patients even so...

• I must confess I've never seen ANYONE drunk in our surgery. I have a very good friend who is a GP though and some of her housecalls require police back up because the area is so rough where she works she is liable to attack! image
  • LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    she is liable to attack! image
    Or she is liable to be attacked? image
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

electrocuted, LB?? No wonder you have NHSDirect on speed dial1 Perhaps you and corinth should get together and free up an ambulance? image

I needed to admit a patient yesterday - she'd had the usual emergency treatment for asthma but really wasn't responding. The 'GP triage nurse' at the hozzie told me that I could send the patient in if I reeeeelly wanted but she'd sit in a corridor for hours waiting to be seen. Listening to this lady's breating, I somehow doubt it!

• Ha, it's great ringing people to get admissions, isn't it? Phoning WMAS yesterday for my little man, operator running through all the usual protocol questions, name, DOB, surgery phone no, etc etc...then...

"Does the patient's condition represent an immediate threat to life?"(operator evidently expecting the answer "no")

....ummm....

*cast a glance to patient who is grey, gasping and has sats in the 70s*

"It could well do, yes..."

That happily elicited the response required....

• Jokerman wrote (see)
    Are you sure you didn't ask for a fire engine Giraffe?
    I was actually phoning for a pizza....
  • Indeed. They were actually 62 when I arrived...not entirely sure how he was still conscious, although he has very severe COPD so tolerates poor oxygen levels pretty well.
  • My lad hit 51 briefly onceimage

But he sats at 97 when asleep now, which is good.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Yep, sats of 62 would be enough to make someone unwell! My lady was fine sitting quietly but desaturated once she started to move around. Had to fight with an SHO once to get admission for a 4yo with a silent chest...

JB, it sounds as if your little lad is really doing well these days!

• sorry to appear thick what do Sats mean?
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Oxygen saturation - how much oxygen the haemoglobin is carrying.
  • sarah the bookworm wrote (see)
    ooooooh! Hark at her!!!!
  • sarah the bookworm wrote (see)
    ok ta now I can watch Holby in peace image
  • I'm sure I don't have any metal goblins in my blood!

• Have you any gay ones? Homogoblins!!!!

I'll get me coat....

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Winking Giraffe wrote (see)

Have you any gay ones? Homogoblins!!!!

I'll get me coat....

Me likey very much

• Slugsta wrote (see)

electrocuted, LB?? No wonder you have NHSDirect on speed dial1 Perhaps you and corinth should get together and free up an ambulance? image

Corinth can't handle me in cyberspace, never mind real life.....image

I was electrocuted by a newly fitted metal cooker hood that had been inexplicably wired LIVE instead of being earthed. As I was cleaning the hob below, my head came close enough to the hood to get the electricity to jump and complete the circuit as my hand was on the hob. I was blown across the room.

I had just been for a run so I wearing trainers thankfully. God bless rubber shoes! When I got to the hospital I was most bothered about not having any knickers on and being examined in a sweaty sports bra! imageimage I still have a tiny mark on my head from the burn.

I don't recommend it as a fun way to spend a Sunday evening. I recall seeing a ball of blue around my head and an enormous bang. Then I was in the van with the flashing light.....image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Knew there was a good reason why I didn't clean the cooker! image
  • I always leave the spillages to burn away naturally.

My Mum had to call for an ambulance several times when my Dad fell out of bed. She had great help from them and they didn't mind at all.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

My mum has very bad COPD (in hospital now), so used to seeing paramedics along her landing in the middle of the night!  Can't praise them enough for the care they've given her.

Only been in the back of an ambulance once, trod on a football and my ankle decided to snap and point the wrong way! image

• Bloody hell LB.....that is nasty!  Back away from the cooker......