Early morning running

Comments

• It is actually very easy - all you need is a Springer Spaniel who wakes you at 5.30am each morning without fail, a cup of tea and some cornflakes each - he prefers his tea mixed with his cornflakes and off you go - it gets me out by 5.50, an hour later I'm back home in time to wake the rest of the house and have more tea and the best bit of all - a long shower.

• I also much prefer to run in the mornings. A year ago I found it really difficult to get up at 6 to run, but I've found that once you get used to it, it's completely addictive.

The main plus points:

-- It's a wonderful time to be out there. The world is empty; just me and my thoughts.

-- Loads of wildlife to see

-- It means I don't spend the day anxious about having to run in the evening

-- Once I get home from work, particularly when it's cold and dark, I hate the thought of stripping off and going out there again. After work I want to relax.

-- Best of all, after a morning run and a hot shower and a good breakfast, I feel totally energised for the day ahead, and much more alert. For some reason, when I run in the evening I feel really tired afterwards. But in the morning, it's exactly the opposite.

I'm surprised to hear that many people have something to eat before running. I can't do that. Just a mouthful of water or juice, nothing else. But I make up for it once I get back.

Once you get into the routine, you'll never look back.

Andy
  • I run in the morning, basiclly because i can only run for about 20 mins at the moment im a newbie and just quite smoking. It hurts me to run 20 mins, although after 1 week i am finding it easyer each time. Anyway i wake up and do the basic streches, crunches, sit-ups, push-ups, more streches then walk 10 mins to my local park and run around that for 20 mins then walk back ( cant run back yet, lol.) then i do the same streches again to loosen my muscles i find if i dont do them after the run in the morning ill be stiff and aching.
  • ah

grew up with an English Springer

it probably says it 100 times already but am too headachey to read the thread - but do warm up slowly and accept that your earl runs will probably be a bit slower than evening ones cos it is hard to get your muscles started - even for me and I often am up at 5
  • flr - well said. My weekday runs (out the door by 5:30 latest) are always a bit "creaky", but my Sunday run (out the door by 8:00 latest).
  • I just find it easier to run after I've got the kids to school on my days off. I tried a time limited run today (the hour before the children need picking up from school) - was going great guns until right calf muscle did a flip - really embarassing 15min mile home perhaps I shouldn't run at all
  • Hi jill. I'm very new to all this and i'm in my 2nd week of the run/walk programme. I get out of bed at 5.15 have a coffee and a fag (not very healthy i know, but thats my next target, to give up the fags) and go out just after six. There are a lot less people on the road and I feel that I don't have to worry about what other people think(thats a biggie for me). I have some water and nothing to eat, maybe not the best thing but it works for me. I think that the important thing is to suit yourself. Run for you and what suits you!!!!
  • I want to start running in the mornings;but i just can't drag myself out of bed!I tried the other morning-but when I saw my puffy eyes and felt my none energetic legs-I crawled back into bed.Planned to run that evening but it was torrential snow and I failed there too.It makes sense if the weather in the morning is OK to make use of this fact-as you could be met with bad weather later.
    BTW I have heard Ginseng is meant to wake you up in the morning.Can you get Ginseng tea?If so where?Is it legal?
  • Bambi.... Just try it once. I'm not saying it's easy getting up early (I have an argument with myself every time) but when you've got up, been out and done you're bit you feel fantastic!!! sets you up for the day. Drag yourself out of bed just once and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1ENJOY
  • Bambi - As TF says just give it a go and see what you think. I fall out of bed at about 4:45 and am out of the door by 5:30 (have to have a coffee and a pee before I go out!), and just take it gently. I think you can get ginseng tea from places like Holland & Barratt (sp?) wheather or not it wakes you up, tho - I really don't know (caffeine addict, me!) Good luck and let us know how you get on!
  • After being a confirmed afternoon runner, I realised I preferred going out at about 10am instead, but wouldn't contemplate anything earlier than that.

However, since beginning marathon training, the only way I can fit it all in, along with work, family and life in general, is to run to work at silly O'clock in time to be showered, changed and ready to go by 7am.

Bonkers, but all I seem to need is a banana and a pint of water and off I go. (it doesn't help that when I leave the front door, i've got a 1/4 mile of steep climb to begin with).
  • I am a) not a natural morning runner, and b) a converted one!

My alarm goes off at 5.30am, I find that I have to get out of bed at 5.40 before going back to sleep (but giving myself enough time to open my eyes properly and enjoy the warmth of bed - masochistic, I know) and then get up and out as soon as possible. No time for tea, cereal, nada!

My muscles are definitely a bit stiff and asleep, so I make sure I do a five minute brisk walk first to get into gear a bit - this seems to make all the difference for me.

Having said all that, I love it - it's fresh, clear, traffic-free and I feel great for the rest of the day! Not to mention the gloating capabilities ...
  • I'm a convert too. The alarm goes off 6.10, I'm out of the house for 6.30 and I get back around 7.30, quick shower, off to work. I usually have some tea & toast around 9.30.

I never thought I would enjoy getting up early, but I feel soooooo good afterwards, and I feel that I can cope with a really busy day in work.

Mind you, I am in bed then by 10.15 pm and sleeping by 10.16!!

Sian
  • j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    Love it. No better time to run than first thing. Just so fresh and energising going at that time. Up at 6am this morning, out of the house by half-past and run for an hour or and hour ten minutes before coming back to a lovely shower and some cereal.

sets me up wonderfully for the day - not sure if i'll be the same when the winter comes though......
  • I know what you mean j0n3sy - I'm a bit worried about keeping going in the winter ... I'll just have to convince myself thoroughly during the summer that it's great!
  • It's just as good in the winter, honest!
  • I've found that a gentle stretching session (20-30 min) before going to bed in the evening has cured me of that early morning 'tight legs' feel.

Not sure how it works though - unless it's just 'cos I take the time to stretch 5-6 evening a week :)
  • Shambler, I'll believe you when I can get myself out of bed in the winter!!!

Thanks for the advice Pirahna, I'll give it a shot!
  • NN - you'll be fine because you'll have made early morning running a habit by then and once you've done the first really dark one, really cold one, really cold and wet one, really snowy one, really windy one, nothing will stop you! The only time I don't winter early morning shamble is when it's icy and my least fave is when it's really windy - it just such hard work!!
  • Well, I made it out this morning when it was wet and beginning to get a bit darker - I must admit though, I love running in the rain!! Also managed 25mins non-stop, so feeling pretty good today.
  • j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    i went out running in the rain last week. it was absolutley pouring down and i was drenched to the bone - wetter than i've ever been in my life. But i had rocky on the MP3 player, it was 7am and i was poundin down a cycle-track. absolutely LOVED it :-)
  • I'm a convert too. Was up this morning at 5:15, quick pee and swig of water then off out the door.

Did 5 miles of hill training before coming back and having a double sized breakfast, showered, then cycled to work (which does hurt after training!).

AND it was dark, wet and windy this morning, But I know my evening is now free to do what I like.

Find that I'm so used to it now, I don't have to eat before leaving the house - I just make sure I eat well the night before.

Baby bunnies and deer (yes really!) make it all worthwhile.
  • I get the bunnies too - I think they don't believe anyone could be out, so the hunch down and pretend their not there instead of running away! Daft things. Cute though!
  • but you can't drink alcohol at night if your going to get up and run in the morning :(
  • That is very true, but I try to drink on either Friday or Saturday night so I don't find it too much of a problem. It doesn't help when friends sabotage efforts though!!
  • I have recently built up my running to a standard where I feel I can now run moderately!

For me I MUST train before work as I am currently working in an Office and struggle with excess energy if I have not done something prior to coming to work.

I set the alarm for 5.40 and am out by 6 it's better because you see no-one!

As with anything having targets means I am more likely to get up!

Breakfast is porridge with banana (Big bowl)

Always makes me think of the story of Goldilocks and the three bears for some reason!

Switching to 2 Weetabix this week trying to lose weight!!!

• Just to add I have brought some "SKINS" they really help me and I definetely think they help with speed sessions.

I personally wouldn't do anymore than jogging and maybe pick up the pace at the end as I have been injured before and it's not nice!