What do you like about Autumn running?

2»

Comments

• hi Katy, can I suggest you get a rainproof jacket designed for running?  They have lots of cunning vents etc to stop you over-heating but will also keep you dry and they're cut to be a good but nut snug fit.  They also keep you warm too, I was advised to buy one and use it over one base-layer last Autumn, when I'd just started out and didn't want to buy loads of kit.

With regard to the cold, once you get going, you don't feel cold anymore! It's one of those mind of matter things you have to get through when you're just starting out.  Ignore the cold, focus on something else and within about 15 minutes or so, you'll be toasty warm and wishing you weren't wearing gloves, hat, long sleeved top, jacket etc etc. 

Also, just remember, if you stop running for 5 - 6 months, all your efforts so far will go to waste, you'll loose all the fitness you've gained.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭
    Yes, ANTB, You are right that I don't want to stop all the rainy season or I'll never run. I am doubtful about the comfort of even 'high-tec' jackets, though. But your suggetion seems good.
  • I love running in the rain and jumping puddles as well. 

• love it, love it, love it.  To start with I don't conk out due to the heat, but  don't yet need a jacket and a hat and gloves.  I can also indulge in childish kicking of huge leaf piles as I run through them and the smell of freshly turned earth in the newly ploughed fields is just oh so excellent image
  • JWrun wrote (see)
    i regularly have to stop to appreciate the view and remind myself that no matter what sh1t comes your way, life is for living image bliddy love autumn.

I couldn't agree more image One of my favourite LSR routes takes me up a hill which overlooks the entire town and the surrounding countryside. I stopped at the highest point this morning, next to a field of cows who were all staring at me, and I just stood and scanned the whole view, taking it all in.

I love misty autumn mornings - the quiet and stillness, the crunchy leaves, the crispy cool air. Autumn, and also spring, are my favourite seasons for running image

• This is my first year of running and I have laboured in the heat; now it's Autumn it takes a bit more organising cos I don't want to go out on my own in the dark, but I so love the drizzly air which means I can breathe, and the early morning mist and the colours of the leaves and the earthy smell...I am loving it xxx
  • autumn mornings are the best. I have real difficulty with breathing in summer too. Only problem I have with Autumn is selecting the right gear.
  • Love it, the colder eveings means no hoody wearing monsters offering there usual encouragement of "get them knees up" as there all vegging in front of the TV.

Have to agree with the Hoose though, either too many clothes or not enough - i never get it right

• i particularly love running through fallen leaves only to find it's hidden dogs sh!t and it's now all over my shoes
  • I have run home from work  in a thunderstorm as i didn't dare cycle and although i was wearing dri-fit clothes, my socks and knickers were cotton. By about halfway home my knickers were halfway down my thighs and were held up by my shorts and my feet were drenched.

Since then I've run in a thunderstorm during a half marathon. I could feel the rain lashing at my contact lenses.

• The best bit is the earthy smells and autumnal colours
  • Love the colours in the trees and the cool/mild temperatures - hate it when the leaves get mushy on th ground and the local council does not clear them.