Comrades Marathon

As a South African who emmigrated here 3 and a half years ago I have decided to do the Comrades next year.

I thought it would be nice to start a thread as I would like to correspond with anyone else who is planning to take part in one of the greatest events.
If you have any advice on travel, training or tips in general they would all be greatley recieved.

many thanks

Comments

• I was thinking about this last night actually, when pondering my looooong term goals. It's not for me yet I don't think, but good luck to you Paul.
  • 56 miles that one isn't it ? I'm in SA during Feb next year so will miss it, as it's in June I believe. Do you know when the 'Two Oceans' marathon is ? And how long it is ?
  • The 2 Oceans is on the 30 March 2002 (Easter Saturday) and is 56K. If you are still in SA give it a go. It is also a huge event with 10 of thousands of supporters and thousands of participants. Must be one of the most scenic Ultra-marathons in the world.
  • GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    I grew up in Hillcrest, which is on the Comrades route, and watched it on a few occasions. At the time I wasn't into running, and didn't realise that it was actually more than a normal marathon.

I had seriously considered running it this year, with a friend from Durban University, but unfortunately work got in the way for both of us. I am now thinking about doing it in 2004, as 2003 is a downhill year. Although downhill sounds easier, everyone I have spoken to says that the uphill years are much less painful, because of the reduced impact on the legs.

If you want a good running reference book, which also contains quite a lot of reference to the Comrades, have a look at "Lore of Running" by Tim Noakes. He is a doctor at UCT, and has run the Comrades. Although it slightly out of date now, it does contain some useful tips.
  • Guy thats interesting to know because as a long term goal I'd quite fancy having a bash at comrades, but had thought downhill would have been easier. Isn't also the case that downhill is 1km shorter at 89km?

I have also heard that theres a pretty strict 11 hour cut off, and sweep up truck for if you're running too slow, so the question is how slow is too slow? Also do you have to carry your food/water as well?
  • GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard that downhill was shorter, although it is possible.

The 11 hour cut off is very strict - a man turns his back on the runners and fires the cut-off gun. Any runner outside that time - even only one second - is not counted as an official finisher. After running for 11 hours I can't imagine much worse.

As I understand it, you are allowed seconds, who can meet you at various points on the course and give you food/water, but you are not allowed mobile seconds - ie following you with a bicycle and handing you food and water as you need them.