1500m Training For Masters European Champs 2010

Comments

• Hi Gobi

I think I'd be wary too!  Sessions like that run at 800m pace always seem harder on the body because of the power required to get going on each rep.  How are you spending the recoveries?  In some ways, although aerobically harder, it seems less stressful mechanically if you run the recoveries rather than slow jog them.  Tough session - good luck!

I'm interested in what sort of warm-up you do before sessions like that.

• Of course that would mean slower reps than 800m which may defeat the point of the session.

Thinking about it, for me that session would be brutal / impossible at 800m pace and seems more like a late season peaking session, but with too many sets with too little rest between sets for a late season workout.  Is someone peaking for indoors?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - indeed 800 peaking but as an early season session it gives you a good guide to how far the journey is. Hitting 800 pace should be easy enough for at least half of each set :¬)

Doing this session at 400 pace is far far worse !!!!

Recoveries are static.

Warm up looks like this

Easy 4 laps
    Then drills
    knees/heels/lunges/skips/run throughs

• I did a similar session earlier this year.  It was 2 * (4 * 200m) @ 800m pace with 20 second standing recovery with 10 minutes between sets.  The first set total time for the reps was almost spot on for my 800m time at that point.  For the final rep of the second set I had to take 40 seconds and couldn't maintain the pace even with the longer recovery.

I had a really short season, having resumed running training in february, so I'd be interested to see if my struggles in this session were due to me being obviously undertrained or maybe my physiology.

Report back!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    For sure :¬)

Had a nice 10.5 miler this morning as well :¬)
  • Training for the 800m/1500m club athlete by Harry Wilson

December week 4 & January weeks 1 & 2
    Sunday am 10 miles easy
    Sunday pm 8 x 100m relaxed stride; 100m walk between each run
    Monday 6 miles steady
    Tuesday 6 x 1000/1200m circuit - 30 secs recovery
    Wednesday 8 miles steady
    Thursday 6 miles steady
    Friday rest
    Saturday am 10 fast but relaxed strides over 200m, jog 200m between each
    Saturday pm 6 miles fastish
  • January weeks 3 & 4, February week 1
    Sunday am 10 miles easy
    Sunday pm 10 x 150m relaxed stride; walk back slowly between each one
    Monday 6 miles steady
    Tuesday 6 x 1000/1200m circuit - 60 secs recovery
    Wednesday 8 miles steady
    Thursday 6 miles - (4.5 miles steady. 0.5 miles easy, 1 mile fast)
    Friday rest
    Saturday am two sets of 5 x 200m; jog for 100m between each then 400m jog between sets
    Saturday pm 6 miles steady
  • Gobi - that's nice warm-up for you then!

Bazza - thanks for that.  It's basically Ovett-lite! 

From what I've read before Wilson seems to be a fan of a considerable aerobic base (24 weeks) with just enough faster work to stay ticking over.  The 6 * 1000 / 1200 seems to be more of a LT than VO2 max workout - and I believe he didn't specify a pace for these sessions.  He doesn't seem to emphasise the long run at all, which is a little surprising considering the rest of his apparent philosophy.

• cheers - these sessions are from The Runner's Guide published in 1994. Just thought I'd post it up to add a little variety.

I think Wilson was more concerned about overall mileage rather than individual runs - though most coaches would probably have middle distance guys doing maybe 12 or 13miles on a Sunday in the winter. Perhaps the difference here is that he was writing for 'good' club athletes and suggested that the weekend was a good time to take advantage of the potential for training twice a day.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Evening - so with a target of being inside my 800 pace and at worst 1500 this turned out to be a hard session but mainly because I was way inside pace.

PBs from 2008 are 2.20 and 4.40 although a 600metres 2 months before injury suggested 2.14 was possible so decided that no worse than a 35 was to be the plan

Recoveries of 60 seconds and 3 mins between sets

Warm up in the rain went well but I still went off a little cautious

35 33 31 33 = 2.12

32 33 32 32 = 2.09

32 33 32 32 = 2.09

Have come home feeling tired but happy that my raw speed is better than expected and if I lose some weight I should be able to string some longer reps together.

4 of ran and I was as a rule off the back which shows we have all had a good winter.
  • For some reason I thought you were starting a 200 every 60 seconds so a 35 second 200 would mean just a 25 second recovery hence all the nonsense I wrote!  Doh, it makes more sense now.  image

Nice pacing there - it's difficult not to hammer the first one.  Well done mate.  Body okay?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tired and expect my left side to ache a little tomorrow. Easy not to hammer the first one when you are scared of the bend :¬)

That speed with 25/30 second recoveries is a session for later in the season :¬)
  • Moraghan, hopefully then you'll go sub-16 before me, since all my 5,000m will be regular season (Southern League Div 2).  With London Marathon followed closely by a summer holiday, I'd guess my first one wouldn't be till June.  Maybe we can look out for an open meeting for a head-to-head.  image

Gobi - you might have inspired me to have a go at the club 800m next year!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    PP - I do my best :¬)

Unlike you guys I will settle for just getting myself back in the 16s for 5km on a regular basis.
  • Phil - looking at my schedule of races I will probably only run one in mid-march.  I ran 35:00 in a 10k today, but I slow down considerably between 5 and 10k.  I have an outside shot at sub 16.

I've done 3 races this season, two 5 milers and a 10k.  To be honest I've nearly had my fill of titting around in long distance races!  It's hard to explain but for me a 10k involves going off not very fast, being very comfortable at half way and then gradually / interminably having the energy leech out of me - despite even pacing.

At distances of over 3k I just don't ever feel as though I've actually raced (although it's incredibly hard work).  It feels like a loud whispering competition.

• Not much running going on this week.  It was a scheduled easy week and I tweaked my hamstring so I decided to make it a mid-base rest week.  Better now though and am feeling very rested.  I ran 35:00 in the 10k race - I really suck at that distance.

M: OFF.
    T: OFF.
    W: 7m easy.
    T: a.m. 2.6m easy.
    p.m.  9.8 inc 10k race.
    F: OFF.
    S: 6.07m easy.
    S:  8.65m easy.

Total: 34.12m

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    11 x 110 metres with walk back recoveries. Effort 90% plus all around 16 seconds.

Solid enough and know I can run a lot harder.

I can't count was supposed to be 12

Speedy lad on the front was knocking out 13s looking very chilled
  • Gobi

10 * 100m is one of my staples but the weather hasn't been cooperating so I've had to diagonals in the park and downhill sprints in the last couple of weeks.  The last time I did 15.63 down to 12.87.  I think the key at this time of the year is to stay relaxed and not hammer.

I've starting doing mine concentrating on a different technical part on each rep and progressively adding an extra focus on each extra one.  e.g. relaxed upper body, then leg drive, ankle extension, bringing heel through.  That way I get faster naturally through technique without putting in a more strained effort on each one.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    At the moment all our emphasis was on relaxed comfortably hard running.

I'm a big fan of balanced effort through the session.

When it is time to go flat out then we do :¬)
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    10 x 440s on snow in Spikes last night

Funny and hard
  • I had the xc spikes on and was doing drills followed by diagonals on the park.  Got some weird looks during the skipping drills.

Quite enjoyable but on the other hand I fear for the track being snow free for my first 1500m pace session next week.  Looks like it may be hills again instead.

It seems our county xc is still going ahead on sunday which is good news but bad.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - with the snow as long as you get the effort right the pace will come when the track clears.

Berkshire Champs were last month, unfortunately I was not fit enough to run well :¬(
  • Yes...it's just lately I've been fancying something a bit faster, I'm overdosed on long stuff!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - I'm not saying don't do the short stuff but just accept that you will not get the exact speed you want :¬)
  • Understood - I was just bleating!

Warm weather, no wind, a track and some race pace 300's are looking particularly enticing as opposed to simulating time and effort in a snowy park.  But you're right, my body won't know the difference.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL - we are thinking about warm weather training next Christmas
  • I' ve been looking at Stellenbosch in South Africa for a few months next year.  Sounds like it has everything you could wish for.  Trails, a track, performance centre, warm weather, hills.  Relatively cheap and near Cape Town.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - South Africa is great for training I have been there many times due to their love of Ultra Distance running.
  • Average week overall.  Felt a bit light on the training, but that was mainly due to the race.

M:  a.m. 2.58 easy
    p.m. 9.44 w / drills, strides and 5 * 600m @ 3k pace with 300 rec.
    T:  a.m. 2.55 easy
    p.m. 8.58 easy
    W:  a.m. 2.89 easy
    p.m. 6.73 w / drills, strides and diagonals.
    T:  a.m. 14.08m easy.
    F:  OFF
    S:  6:04 easy
    S:  a.m. 2.53m easy.
    p.m. 9.5m inc strides and 10k XC race.

Total Mileage:  64.92m.

Came 17th in the County XC - got a horrendous stitch.  An old problem and it cost me dear, although I'd only have come 10th at best.  (17th).

The next block of training will see a bit more distance on the a.m. runs (but not much) and should be some 1500m pace stuff on the track which I may have to swap for hills due to the weather.

Gobi - did you ever train in Stellenbosch?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    No Mate I have spent time in various places but not there.