its tw'early, trim types!

Comments

• And some good gigs too, Alan!

Funny - Kevin and I were having a surreal conversation of that sort in the car on the way to school today. It started off when she told me about the experiments they were doing on light and colour at school. As usual, my daughter managed to generate the sort of not-quite-plain-facts questions that teachers seem to find so uncomfortable, and she'd been told to look it up on the Internet. Asking mother and using her precious Internet time to play Pokemon seemed more to Kevin's taste. But at least she was willing to talk to me, which she hasn't been for some time.
  • Am trying to train mine to do the ironing but she is holding out for a new ironing board!!!!!!!!!!
  • get her a press - they're cool!
  • Why do teachers do that - mine invariably ask me too and then play around on the net!!
  • yeah that's why physics is so cool

(sorry Benz and BP but we're not talking wheatstone bridges here)
  • No way - want her to use what I've got, trying to win the war, I mean I know I won't win but still the battle is fun!!
  • Well, speaking as a teacher...

1) The teacher doesn't know the answer

2) Some kids are great at researching for themselves and it's all good experience if they're up to it

3) (and this is probably the most common one for me) I know the answer but going through it in class will fry the brains (and confuse) the less intelligent members of the class, who had previously grasped the concept. Many of the syllabuses/exams don't give credit for the extra intelligence. However, I try to speak to said student on their own, rather than leave it to them though.
  • ...and yeah I know, VC, some of the alternative types try to invoke quantum uncertainty as proof of their mumbo jumbo - but they're just talking b*ll*cks!
  • No it is good FR, but also means I usually have to own up to not knowing either!!!

The eldest usually likes being able to look for stuff on the net when she can motivate herself to stop the games!!
  • I think Kevin's science teacher isn't primarily a physics teacher. She's only in Year 7 and hasn't started doing science subjects separately yet.

I found physics quite difficult to make sense of, apart from the stuff that could be explained my equations or involved things I could SEE happening. The rest I just had to learn to parrot off as if I believed it for exam purposes. In class, I spent a lot of time saying "why?" and "how do we KNOW that this is the best hypothesis?" and other such irritating things.
  • IMO that's the sort of mental attitude that makes for a good scientist Vrap, but sadly the pressure to get exam stats up and the way exams are all too often fact based/jumping through the prescribed hoops - even at A level, means that schools will have to just stick to the basics.

I personally think that that's very sad, and one of the reasons that teaching is peeing me off right now.
  • I find it rather sad that at 6 and 10 my girls have the pressure of exams, they mean so little at that age but it puts so much pressure on them - especially number 1 who likes to achieve, she panics something silly...........is a shame that sometimes the joys of learning and teaching are hijacked by the pressure of statistics
  • VRAP
    Can I ask a favour and pick your brains offline? If so, I will mail you.
  • It's like a vicious circle, we all know that genreally all these bits of paper mean nothing but we put more and more emphasis on it and then before we know we begin to believe that washing up need a whole degree!!

We parents should bite back and start protesting at the inhumanity of it all!!
  • You're welcome to mail me, RRR.

Pingu, I agree! And protest we do, and the government replies by selectively quoting numbers at us. I've got Angelmouse doing KS1 SATS this year, and in February her teacher gave her an old Level 4 paper to try in class with a view, presumably, to being able to use the poor little mite's ability in English to raise the school's KS1 attainment levels for league-table purposes. Angelmouse was unfazed, fortunately - "the teacher gave me a Year 6 paper and the questions were just weird, like 'what is the purpose of the first paragraph'" she said later. I know Kevin is keeping half an eye on the situation and will be horrible if Angelmouse's results are "better" than hers were at the same stage, which they may just be. I could well do without that.
  • Mini Nick said today - we've started doing Arabic at school, you know where you say a number is called C and have to work it out.

We realised she meant Algebra:)
  • i used to get p**d of in chemistry, especially with covalent bonding and the like , no teacher could actually explain why H20 needed 2 hydrogen atoms etc etc . The answer "It just does" doesnt really wash. Now electronics was much more fun "Why can't ou put an electrolytic capicitor backwards across a PSU ? <BANG> Oh I see ! " ;)
  • I liked chemistry - it was so logical and mathematical, and I learned all these great tricks for making funny smells using domestic cleaning fluids and a battery. I was crap at maths as soon as it drifted away from proper numbers into abstract concepts.
  • I found chemistry the same, until we got to dynamic equilibrium - I couldn't understand how - if X was turning to Y as fast as Y was turning to X, you could tell that anything was happening.
  • I can't actually remember anything I learned in school. Or most of the stuff that I did in my masters, mind you, and that only finished last June...
  • That was the sort of thing I had to learn to parrot for the exams, FR.
  • I could have doen chemistry for A level but decided against it. I just parroted it. I was always asking awkward questions too - still do for that matter :-)
  • If people hadn't asked awkward questions through the years, we'd still be living in caves.
  • SaxplayerSaxplayer ✭✭✭
    I always preferred biology as you could see what was going on, or at least cut it open and have a look... As long as it wasn't microbiology anyway.
  • Hated science, didn't mind maths but was more into English and History and the wonders of winding up the History teacher asking how she knew for certain that the Hieroglyphics actually said what they claim they do!!!!!!!
  • I didn't do any biology at school, which was a great advantage at medical school. While classmates were trying to unlearn the half-truths about genetics and suchlike that are taught at school, I was able to get on with the business of absorbing the different set of half-truths that are taught at university. My Higher Grade in Latin seemed so much more useful.
  • So which do you prefer , gestalt or rote learning theory ?
  • SaxplayerSaxplayer ✭✭✭
    ""
    )( S-~

^^^ +=¬¬¬
    **-_

}{
    ][ ~~~~~~~
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Now I know I'm not feeling well...