Benefits of using Udo's oil?

Comments

• good point there Wicks but to back up TB - the costs of conducting clinical trials is mega and way off the scales for small companies like he works for. think millions to start with and go up from there - a top 10 pharma company may spend upwards of £100million bringing a single drug to market (and even then it may not make it after a high spend) and a lot of that cost will be down to clinical studies starting in animals and then progressing to human trials as they have to pass all sorts of safety and benefit conditions before being allowed to be sold.

• Great thread. The Food Programme on Radio 4 dealt with these issues last week. Serious professor-type said that the body's ability to change n3 into EPA/DHA was so inefficient that you can't rely on vegetable sources (which I do as a vegan) you had to have fish oil. Any comment please Tony?
  • You didn't understand?  Cool!  That's one all.

Science Nerds 1 - 1 Tax Bores

FB - Agreed.  Silly money, but encouraged by the Gov't, so they get to recoup a significant proportion of it (even before it becomes profit).  Small companies can't compete, but we try to bring a bit of sunshine where we can!  image

• ok Im not a chemist, Dr, Physicist, snake oil salesman, pharmaceutical lobbyist or in fact a very good runner

Ive read the thread and understood 20% coz Im tired and too lazy to think

is this stuff

1. Good for me
    2. going to harm
    3. worth the large amount of money
    4. going to make me a better runner
    5. going to make me a better lover

Yes or no or maybe is good enough taimage

• Hah, actually one of the reasons I was googling forums!!

Suffice to say we're fuming about it - I've never heard such a biased interview on Radio in my life. To have 1 person who was defending the position to be interviewed earlier, then have 3 people from the same lobby group attack something for over 10 minutes, crazy...

The guy who seems to be spear heading things, Michael Crawford, is a real supporter of fish oils - to the point where in '89 he wrote about "the aquatic ape" - a poor idea at best that tried to explain some human evolution with fish stocks. Widely discredited, it seems he is still grinding the same axe. Confusingly he also contradicts himself in other stuff that he has contributed to by commenting on the need for ALA.

As a vegan you would quite simply be screwed if you did not convert ALA to EPA/DHA - that is an irrefutable fact. When looking at the conversion rates, in experiments where the 3 : 6 ratio was slanted more to 6 than it should of been, men convert 5-10% to EPA, 2-5% to DHA and women roughly double that.

There is a negative feedback mechanism in place that stops the conversion if DHA is present. Why on earth would the body have a negative feedback system to stop conversion if DHA was the ultimate use for n3's, and their sole raison d'etre?

There is going to be a portion of the population who cannot convert ALA to its long chain derivatives, law of averages, some people just don't have great enzymes. Typically they exhibit skin complaints and other issues as a hint for this. Only they HAVE to have preformed EPA/DHA in their diet, but it's something like 2% of the population, so not a worry for the majority.

DW - lol, I avoid knowing much about taxes, they anger me too much...

• Well, while you're here TB, I'd like to hear more about that business of NSAIDS blocking recovery. I take aspirin on the advice of a cardiologist...
  • mike - aspirin despite being an NSAID which blocks cyclooxygenase also has an inhibitory effect on platelet aggregation. cardiologists recommend it in small doses to reduce the chances of blood clots as a) it's cheap, b) well tolerated and c) widely available. I doubt that the doses you are taking would have any discernible effect on your muscle recovery.......
  • What's the recommendation for? As above with the recovery aspect
  • I'm a type II diabetic, hence at significantly higher risk of stroke. Two different consultants both said to me "all middle aged male type II diabetics should be on low dose aspirin".
    I take 150mg three times a week.
  • Many thanks for your answer Tony. In that case, I can stop looking at the highly priced algae-derived oil which is the one plant source which has high levels of EPA and DHA.

I've been vegan for 15 years so if I wasn't converting properly to EPA and DHA, I should know by now.

• @ Mike - what is your diet like, are you keeping to low carb, nice & complex?

@ Eva - yes, you certainly would by now!

@ goldbeetle - erm, are you posting here, I've had a couple of emails to say you've added a post, but I can't see them...  I might of clicked ignore member whilst swapping between tabs, can I undo that..? image

• mike - as someone with a higher risk of stroke than normal, aspirin is commonly recommended due to it's clot reducing capacity. that dose you're on is quite low so is unlikely to give you any side effects. my mum was on it after she had 2 minor strokes

there was a suggestion a couple of years ago that ALL men over 50 should take small doses of aspirin to reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease (which can also be caused by blood clots) but I think it was felt to be overkill (sic)

similarly there is now a suggestion that us over 50s should take a daily statin to control our cholesterol levels

if I took every suggestion to heart I'd be flaming rattling with pills!!
  • TB - yes - you can unignore - go into your profile and then My forum
  • n3s will cater for both of those issues - if you call high cholesterol an issue in the first place..!!

HATE statins, miss the point a lot IMO.

• No, not very low carb... what with all this running and cycling and stuff, I feel I need my carbs...

I just wondered what was behind your statement about NSAIDs  being proven to block muscle recovery?

= = = = =

My diet for today:
    Breakfast: 2 rashers bacon, baked beans, on buttered toast (but would usually have eggs)
    Snack: 1 apple
    Lunch: canteen: roast pork, cabbabge, sweetcorn, a very few chips (honest), apple crumble+custard
    Afternoon: casein powder "pudding" plus salad of beans, brocolli, red cabbage, peppers plus apple,satsuma
    Dinner: dont know yet, might be fried bean curd and brown rice and mushrooms.
    Oily fish about three times a week.

Beer is often  a feature as well. image

• That's on a day with 22 miles cycling and 4 mile run.
  • TB - yes the statin suggestion does miss the point somewhat but for the couch potato with a poor diet and no exercise it could make a difference and reduce the spend the NHS has on heart disease caused by high cholesterol levels.....and yes I know that cholesterol on it's own rarely does this but if you can reduce one element in a multi-factorial picture then it would help a fair bit

next - cigarettes...........image
  • (Feel free to express yourself freely about statins. There is no risk of me discontinuing a prescription medicine simply on the remarks of someone I don't know on the internet. )

Edit: the above was to TB
  • mike - can I make a suggestion on your diet?? too much food overall without questioning the balance

for reference - and bear in mind I'm over 16 stone - my diet today

breakfast: piece of buttered toast (spelt bread), banana
    lunch: homemade tomato soup, buttered brown roll
    evening: a thick beany veg stew of some sort after a turbo session

there will also be a beer and some wine - drinks today have been one mug tea, 2mugs coffee, another tea later
  • Mike - diet isn't perfect, but certainly not shocking. 3 : 6 ratio is going to be ballpark 1 : 15 (too many foods I don't have on my calc, and not enough time) - this isn't ideal, certainly not for a diabetic for longevity.

Cholesterol per se has never actual been shown to be a direct cause of heart issues, so stopping it's release via statins is bad IMO. Mostly the issue is with oxidation - oxidised LDL is the sticky problem here. Reducing total cholesterol typically has limited impact on total oxidised - i.e. the ratio doesn't drop. So what's the point when high cholesterol is typically a good thing for living a long life. Hey ho! Best theory I've come across was by Pauling, idea being that duringice ages, etc, where anti-oxidants in diet were scarce, it was better to plaque up your arteries to prolong life and have offspring then it was for them to rupture from poor collagen levels.

Sorting the cigarettes, and the oxidative stress the force on you, is a far better option as you say. For most sedentary people simply having more veg (/some fruit) and reducing refined carbs is best bet for sorting ticker.

How do you cope on that diet FB - erm, is you're BF% as your name dictates..? In which case I understand!

• FB - that's NOTHING - are you not starving all the time?

(10 1/2 stone female here)
  • With statins, while you believe they make no sense, the clinical data disagree.  Eg when they are given to those in at risk groups they siginificantly reduce the chances of having a heart attack.  So clearly they do some good. 

You would be encouraged to change to a healthy diet get excercise etc as well. But I would by no means stop taking statins and replace with EFAs or any other supplement where the evidence is no where near as strong as to the benficial effects.

As for asprin and muscle recovery the doses used to prevent strokes are in the range of 50-100mg per day.   Studies looking at muscle recovery typically havent seen any effects until your getting towards 5-10 times this amount.  So your taking a low dose  proven to have beneficial effects and very few detremental effects.

• my BF% is in the 20's - well last time I had it properly measured anyway - but given I also have a high muscle/bone mass of an ex rugby player (prop) it's not too bad. I find I feel OK with not a huge amount of food during the day but I do tend to eat rather a lot for my evening meal!! I've stayed around my current weight (105kg at the mo) for the last few years so it's a balance of calories in and out given exercise levels - which are lower than normal at the mo due to injury and a chest infection last week so I'm not eating as much as say when I'm in full Ironman training...when I am permanently ravenous!

TB - I'm with TO on the statins - the clinical evidence is pretty overwhelming in them helping to reduce CHD and as I said cholesterol is only one part of the CHD equation - but reduce one part and you reduce overall risk. reduce 2 or 3 and the risks plummet enormously.

if people won't reduce their dietary cholesterol, then reducing it through stopping the process of them making it is a good step

• Statins reduce cholesterol cholesterol formation to work - question is, why is the cholesterol being formed an issue? It's been in our bodys for a long ass time, and is an important molecule that in the past has only ever done us good (studies into cholesterol level vs longevity point at people with above average cholesterol having a longer life, underlines it's role in defense). Rather than just hitting it with a hammer, we should be eliciting and solving the actual problem, which statins will not do.

I'll have to have a look at some newer figure (do you have any?) on actual mortality reduction, as the odds on you being the one who lived because of them was never a great figure. From what you're saying this may have changed, as I said, not a topic I've ad chance to read up on in a good while.

• BTW I do agree that they can be shown to be of benefit (seemingly more so nowadays), I just question the logic of the approach.

• "why is the cholesterol being formed an issue?"

TB - as a biochemist you know the answer!

it's not an issue per se. we all need cholesterol to live so we manufacture it. the problem we have in modern life is that we also take way too much in through diet. you know all this.

so if you want to reduce cholesterol levels to reduce CHD incidence you have 2 options - reduce the dietary intake or reduce the manufacture. the latter is what statins do - ergo you stop the body making it so the only source now comes through diet.

as I said earlier if you can't control what people eat - and just look at all the porkers out there - then the sledgehammer statin approach helps these people to control their cholesterol and reduce CHD.

I think we're both agreeing that the fundamental problem is incorrect diet and how you solve this. if you could control what people eat then it's not a problem - as you can't, statins offer an easy solution to the problem. it's curing the symptoms, not the cause. it's not ideal but for a small cost the if it reduces the burden on the NHS then it has to have some value

sure - curing the cause of high cholesterol is the way forward but that's a bigger problem to solve I would suggest

• FB - I'm astonished you can live on so little food (and so little protein).  But if you can, I'm sure it's beneficial to your health.
  • "the problem we have in modern life is that we also take way too much in through diet. you know all this."

Link between dietary cholesterol intake & cholesterol = not there. This has been shown pretty clearly.

Link between fat lazy people's dodgy cholesterol & CVD = lack of activity & refined carbs (+ sats / omega 6) & other lifestyle "choices"

Yep, we are agreeing that diet/education is best option, always will be. I'm just cynical about people who will happily be told to pop a pill, but not empower themselves to do anything else.I suppose it does make sense to try and save us some money with them - just been looking at it would appear a 30% reduction in mortality is possible, with~ 2 years extra living. Not bad.

(pushes keyboard away before starting on "quantity of life" vs "quality of life" speech..!!!) image

Yes not a huge deal of protein in there - which is typically fine IMO if nothing is shouting at you to increase it