Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• when r the entrys open for nx year cant wait.i watched last years and said then i would do this years i must have been one of the 1st to enter.how quick the year went and this forum well all i can say a big thx we got a year to talk about next one.brill when i enterd i wanted sub4 then had a couple of good runs so then hoped 3.30 but 3.08 and 33rd well happy well done everyone keep posting thx paul
  • Well done everyone.

I decided last night it was going to be a DNS. image

With a bad foot, and around 7hrs of driving on Thursday I was feeling f*cked, for want of another word.

Maybe it'll be 2011 for me.

• Well done, Powell, that's an amazing time image

A perfect time to link next year's thread, I feel image

• What a brilliant day image - for once, everything came together and I managed to knock ten minutes off last year's time and finished feeling good (despite cramping up on the run in to finish!).   Too cold to stop watch at end, but think it was around 4 hours 36 mins - will wait for official results to see!

Pretty interesting conditions out there though - particularly the thunder and lightening, and hail on the top of Waenfawr.   So cold, I couldn't feel my hands or legs, but warmed up pretty quickly on downhill stretch and managed to overtake quite a few people - a great feeling image.

Loved the new course - bit tricky on the bit after Pen-y-Pass, but I love off road running, so suited me (though will be interesting to see what others think!).

Didn't get to meet anyone unfortunately, but look forward to reading all the reports on here.

• Well done everyone.......image

The finish in the main street in Llanberris was great, loads of support.

Waunfawr was a challenge, managed to run all the way up - but only just, wanted to walk at one point. Nearly slipped and fell over three times on the way down the other side.

2:51 for me.image

Garmin clocked race at 26.61 miles. 

Mile 1: 5:41 Mile 2: 5:36 Mile 3: 6:30 Mile 4: 5:42 Mile 5: 7:37 Mile 6: 5:21 Mile 7: 5:23 Mile 8: 5:38 Mile 9: 6:01 Mile 10: 6:05 Mile 11: 6:05 Mile 12: 6:12 Mile 13: 6:13 Mile 14: 6:53 Mile 15: 7:16 Mile 16: 6:45 Mile 17: 6:08 Mile 18: 6:04 Mile 19: 6:26 Mile 20: 6:26 Mile 21: 6:18 Mile 22: 6:24 Mile 23: 7:53 Mile 24: 9:08 Mile 25: 7:17 Mile 26: 6:28 Last bit 0.61: 3:33 

Snowdon Results

• Well done, FF! image

Does anyone know if Chrissi is ok?

• ff brill first race i done which my garmin showed 26.20.smack on
  • Not sure what happened with the mileage, I noticed it went wrong fairly early on.

Anyone else use a Garmin?

• FF, Yes, I used a Garmin 205 and got 26.2 as well
  • FF, well done on your run BTW

There are some photos from today appearing on Alastair Tye's website on this link.

• FF yeah my garmin was out within the first few miles (Garmin 405) really noticed it early on. Not sure why it's usually fairly close.

Fantastic to see nearly everyones response to the race positive.

In my opinion the new course is a big improvement. No waiting for buses! no getting trapped by traffic down Nant Gwynant and a finish on the High street (no detour back out of town)

All in all a fantastic day and as I said before the weather is all part of the challenge, nice sunny weather would be boring!!! better to boast about surviving hail etc!!!

• Wouldn't like to be Nicola Q and Andrea B in the morning, They can run but they can also drink. Lost them on the way home!!
    SS
  • Hard day but loved the experience.

I entered the race back in 2002 but due to weather on the hill it was cancelled.

So had another crack at last. Wow brill run but was it hard, the last bit nearly killed me . Got to 22mile in 3.09 but that hill and the last 4mile finished me. I hit the hail, rain and lightening and plodded on. At this stage i couldnt feel my fingers due the cold and my legs felt  like they werent there.

The last couple of metres with all the support from the locals and spectators was fantastic especially because they were just as soaked as us runners. Well Done to you all.

My finishing time was 4.13 which is fab.. for me. Hope to see you all 2011

•  A big thanks to the massage girls in the village hall. 

3.08 and 35th for me ,took 4 minutes off last year's time. i thought the new route was much better than the old one, especially the run in at the finish. Be back next year and hopefully sub 3 hours

• Any thoughts re whether runners thought the new course was quicker than the old one. Personally I don't think there is much in it although I do like the idea of reaching Waunfawr having done an extra mile or so and that once you get to the top is straight down to the finish (rather than horrible little loop!) - I thought the finishing straight was much better, although I was cramping up big time. Support there, and all the way around, was brilliant.

I think I've got to back to Waunfawr this morning to find my legs!

• I used a Garmin 405cx, was absolutely spot on with the mile markers.
  • Hope the day went well for everyone.

I had a slight pain to my right thigh as i reach the top of the pass and the pain got worse as i passed the half way stage. At mile 20 some fella came and talked to me, he must of been a miracle healer, after a while talking to him the pain went. I flew the last 6 miles and managed 3hrs 31min (sorry jason i lied i though i'd done 3hr 30min).

I am happy but i could have done better. Sub 3hrs 10min next year.

• Just checked my Garmin 305 - spot on 26.2miles, with some interesting split times - very pleased with mile 5 (7m29s) time up the Pass where I felt great after a steady start - less so with mile 22 (8m13s - legs giving up the ghost/cramping up & haernia flaring up), mile 23 (11m26s) and mile 24 (10m6s).

As Arnie said "I'll be back" for what I (and many others) believe to be the best marathon in the UK!!

• Morning all,
    What a day. I was smiling all the way round, good suport, good company, plenty of drinks and food, weather wasn't too bad compared to previous years but I got pelted by hail at the top between 24 and 25. I managed to run the whole of the course which surprised me.
    My splits were,
    1 mile - 9:14 a little too quick for me but it was difficult not to.
    2 mile - 9:54
    3 mile - 11:09
    4 mile - 12:27
    5 mile - 11:49
    6 mile - 9:21
    7 mile - 9:37
    8 mile - 10:01
    9 mile - 11:18
    10 mile - 10:49
    11 mile - 11:12
    12 mile - 10:31
    13 mile - 11:00
    14 mile - 12:31
    15 mile - 12:55
    16 mile - 11:05
    17 mile - 10:44
    18 mile - 10:45
    19 mile - 11:29 stopped to cut my toenails image
    20 mile - 11:23
    21 mile - 11:45
    22 mile - 12:23
    23 mile - 15:33
    24 mile - 14:21
    25 mile - 11:43
    26 mile - 9:02
    Finish - 1:30

Had a cracking time in the Padarn Lake last night with T Rex, Jason d, Brit Nick, Andrea B and Hubby, Nicola Q and Hubby, Carrott Top, Dina Mo it was nice to meet you all. I am a bit achey this morning but at least I was able to get out of bed!!
    SS
  • JB - imagine what time you could do on a flat course !. image

Talking of which, the new Chester mara route for 2011 looks more interesting, going around the local lanes & finishing in Chester, rather than the out & back on the cycle way -  but I guess it's too close to SNOD now they've moved it to early Oct. image

• Great job SS (better than supporting eh!), and well done SD on a 10 min improvement. Good going BBT (brackla harriers obviously having a good influence), and some eye watering times from the front of pack gang.

Sounds like a good night in the pub as well.
  • Wow what a race. Well done to everyone that took part. I have to admit it is the best race I have taken part in. You cannot beat that feeling coming down from Pen Y Pas and waunfawr. Incredible. Weather was crazy, great support and plenty of energy snacks alogn the way to keep us going.

I had missed 5 weeks training due to injury so wasn't sure about racing this but so glad I did. Finished in 4:04 so really pleased.

Absolutely buzzing today!

;)

PS thanks to the guy that encouraged me to keep running when my calves were cramping. Difficult but managed to keep going. Good luck in NY mate.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭

SS how on earth did you lose the girls in llanberis?? it's not a big enough place to get lost in!

hope they're ok....

I ache this morning, but not too bad, as long as i keep moving image

Big thank you again to TRex, TR38 and DinaMo, not sure I'd've been able to get that time on my own!

• Aching well here to, what a race I was laughing all the way down back into Llanberis while getting pelted on by hailstones that felt like golf balls and that last stretch to the finish........wasn't sure my legs were going to make itimage

The supported and volunteers where great a masive thanks to Sandra and Dave  from Swansea who drove my wife round the course so she could supported me, twice seeing my Lynda gave me the lift I needed to carry onimage

Once again T-rex, panad, Dinamo great running with you can't wait for next year!!!!image

• Well im home safe and sound with a couple of aching legs......head is surprisingly okimage

What a race.....what more can you say.......the course, the weather, the support and the runners were all brilliant.  After a dire nights sleep i had some serious doubts about how i was going to manage to run 26.2 miles.  Had a quick hello to the sub four group when i caught you all half way up the pass but quickly lost you all at the first water station.  The run down from the top was just brilliant, loved the off road section.  I struggled a little bit coming into Beddgelert and had to stop and strap knee up as IT band was giving me some gip but began to feel really strong in the second half.  Thoroughly enjoyed the long flatish run to Waufawr and i actually dared to believe i would get my sub 4 hour.  Then came the hill ...WOW that was tough but managed to run a fair piece of it though.  The run down from the top was just the business ...thought it was a fitting end to the race.....came flying down ...couldnt believe the legs wanted to do it but they did.....and what a buzz......came over the line in 3hr 57mins 5 secs.  imageimageimage

Met up with loads of you in the Padarn and got very drunk but hey i deserved itimage  Was really good to meet you all and i have nearly managed to let T-rex talk me into attempting an ultra sometime in the futureimage

SS i have know idea how we lost you on the way home ...not exactly like we had far to walkimage

Also wanted to say its been a real blast coming on this forum ........i will really miss it but will be taking a bit of time to reflect before i decide if im doing it next year....what are great bunch of people.

Thank you all 

• Thanks to everyone on this forum ...Very inspiring .. Didnt manage my target time due to blowing up at around 17...more distance training required I think. What a fantastic event, must be the hardest race Ive ever done though.  A great buzz .image

Finished in 3.56 with a few tears on my wifes shoulder, such reliefimage

Great day all round. Be back next  year for more torture probably...Cheers all.

Anyone doing the Lakeland 50 Ultra next July  ? get in touch...see you there

• New course must be a winner, some superb times! Well done all
  • My first ever marathon - what a one to choose.  I am unable to compare but I felt it was very well organised.  Thankyou so much to all the people staffing the drink stations - some looked pretty wet and cold! Thanks to the people who stood in the rain for hours cheering us on.

The course itself was what I expected but what a cheeky climb that is between 22 and 24 miles?!! The downhill was pretty tricky too but what a beautiful sight seeing Llanberis below.  The support at the finish was stunning - so many wet cheering folk lifted the heart for hat last 100metres.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi All and WELL DONE TO EVERYONE reading all your stories has got me blubbing like a baby again. 

Unfortuately i was a DNF got pulled off the course by a man in a minibus at 18 miles and just over 4 hours - they had decided to enforce the cut offs due to the weather and the thunder and lightning that went off right above my head while i was in the middle of nowhere on my own had left me a gibbering wreck and the hail was unbelievable.  The ambulance had already tried to pick me up before the storm hobbling along with legs cramping up from being so cold but i was determined to finish but after the fright and getting told there would be no feed stations/support/finish time if i carried on i went to pieces literally. Ended up in the HQ with a first aider trying to un-blue me while everyone else celebrated image

On the positive side i did run all the way up to Pen y Pass and i loved the new downhill section but after that i had to leave the girl i had been running with (that was gutting but we did meet up in the minibus again) hardly any supporters out for us slow un's not even in Beddgelert and after that i realised how on my own i was which made it alot harder i think.

I don't think i'll try again next year unless i can find a way to improve my speed a hell of a lot so i'm more up with the main pack and within the cut off times.  But i'm glad i had ago, apart from being too slow for the weather to not affect me i coped with the hills and really enjoyed the first part.  I've loved being on this thread and may have to gatecrash the 2011 one anyway image if you'll let me.  Thanks to everyone for your support over the last year i wouldn't of got as far as i did without you all.

Chrissi xx

• (((Aw, honey))) - I'd seen the DNF next to your name on the results and wondered what had happened.

Can I suggest that you don't make any decisions just yet about next year - you're too raw to be reaching sensible conclusions image

At least you made it to the start line, which is more than I did, and a year is a long time to work on hills and those last few miles. 

Come and play on the rejects thread either way image