Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Hi Chrissi

Sorry you didn't Finnish, that hail was horrible it got me at the end don't think I would have been able to run much further after that I was so cold I was dithering in my car!!

Look forward to speaking to you on here.image 

Tattooed runner image

• Options
    A good bunch of rejects Frodoimage
  • Options

Wow, where do I start? There are some amazing times mentioned here. What a brilliant race made even better by the new route, brilliant organisation, brilliant support from volunteers and spectators, brilliant runners, brilliant lightning, big hail and big blast down into Llanberis and a 4:15 finish for me (same as last year, but I was expecting 4:30, so well pleased). After a shower (warm this time, not cold and full of hail) came a relaxing free massage, a chill-out and a couple of dinners in Pete's Eats, then a night of merriment and KARAOKE in the Padarn Lake Hotel lounge bar. What a full day of entertainment. Camaraderie rules.

Thanks to T Rex for sticking it out for the duration and not deserting the Karaoke lounge. It wouldn't have been the same without you, Mr Rex. Something tells me you might even have enjoyed it a little - you even joined us for a massed forumites' finale of Queen's "We Are The Champions" (at nicola's suggestion?), though I did note that you were not in possession of a microphone. image I hope you made it safely up the hill to your (intact) tent.

Bring on next year. I can't wait.

• Options
    Sorry Chrissi, my post took a long time to write and I hadn't seen yours. I'm really sorry you didn't finish. Please come back next year for another go. Thunder is quite rare on that event, honestly. You might have a blast in 2011. image
  • Options

Ha ha Brit nick ....i had forgotten about the rendition of "we are the champions" until i was reminded this morning imageimageimage  Although i cant take the merit....twas Andrea B's idea.....i dont do karaoke....that is unless i have just pb'd in a marathon image

Chrissi...sorry to hear you got a DNF.....maybe you will feel differently in a few days......image

• Options
    Well done everybody that managed to finish + bad luck to those who were DNF like myself. Unfortunately I started with a niggle + broke down in depressing style after only half a mile. Aren't things like this supposed to be character building?
  • Options

Well done everyone fantastic times and reports. Sorry you didnt manage to finish Chrissi. I feel quite proud to have done after an extremely difficult year only managed 4.40 but I was happy with that. Loved the new course, same lovely weather in spite of a little bit of sunshine. Well done JB fantastic time and BN and everyone else. A lovely day out especially when youre in front of the fire with the a glass of cider.

Probably see you all next year!

• Options

Home safe and sound!  300  mile journey in 4.5 hours (well done Mr DM)  But bu&&er me I'm in pain!!  Stopped at the service station and think I left nail marks on either side of the toilet cubicle lowering myself onto the pan...I must remember to pamper my quads in future, I forgot how much I used them!!

There are some fabulous times on here...I'm dead impressed.  I can't imagine how you sub 3 - 3.30 hr people do it..you must be super human. 

It was lovely running with Mr Rex, TR38 and Panad (Great time by the way hun!) for the first 10 miles or so and was lovely to catch up with Britnik on that there nasty hill at the end.....and watch him disappear into the distance!  4.17 for me which is 7 minutes faster than last year.  More than happy with that in view of my injury and lack of training.  It was so nice to finally put faces and proper names to the other forumites I met at Padarn Lake Hotel. SS, Carrot Top, Nicola, Andrea and the JD....wasn't sure who the others were.

(((Chrissie and HW))) that must suck big style .... but I'm sure you'll be back with Frodo next year.... you can't beat that run down into Llanberis, its worth it just for that.

The support again was overwhelming from the locals and one bloke who I saw about 4 times on the course and again at the finish receive a big DM hug and kiss for being so fab!!!  I think next year I'm gonna focus on another marathon/ultra....but I'll be back image

• Options

Well, it's just taken me half an hour to read all the messages on here from the last week-dongles are not good in Waunfawr. Fantastic stories, times and description folks-well done everyone-wear your t shirts with pride!For me, I felt the hell of two marathons in the previous month play havoc with my legs, I'd got up feeling queasy but put it down to nerves however I still felt crap at the top of Pen Y Pass..DNF played in my mind. I gave myself a very stern talking to and got a gripimage...I however knew maybe I had pushed my luck. So, at that, I trotted down to the new turn off and had a bit of fun..it was like Race the Train only slightly drier. By Beddgelert, my doubts were returning however a quick glance at Garmin put me at 1 hr 50 at 13 mile mark so I was a little buoyed by this.

On we went..then disaster..now I wont go into detail..but this was not just a case of Runners Trots..this was full blown trouble so I had to sprint down a country track and ..well t'was not pleasant. Now I knew all was not well..so another talking to DNF or push on. By now, I couldnt feel my hands so had to ditch gloves at 21 mile mark-then TRex-you came into my mind and somehow you pushed me onimage. So, did I go sub 4 hours?You bet your life I did!!! 3hrs 53 minutes and 55 secondsimageimage. Puked up shortly after hence 'no show' at pub which I am gutted about, but didnt think it fair to pass on any lurgies to you all. It sounded an ace night too as I didnt get to speak to anyone at start cos all numbers covered with jackets.. anyone entered next year yet?? My credit card is on standby!! Hope to hear more reports soon

Brer x

• Options

Only just found this thread but it sums up the race perfectly, in a word it's awesome!

Such good fun, lots of quirky challenges to keep you going, brilliant support, quality drink/feed stops and a really friendly field... A big thankyou to everyone who makes it happen, you do yourselves proud!

I'm still in raptures about the whole race, I loved it! It will take a long time for the buzz of the two downhill sections to disipate, it was brilliant to be able to take the brakes off and go for it...  My first time out here but will be back, next year can't come soon enough!image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chrissi- so sorry for you- but your tale shows real guts and determinationimage

As for the rest, wow so many fantastic results and also a great post event party!image

A disappointing day for me yesterday and was finding it hard to muster energy/enthusiasm by mile 8- seriously considering DNFing by mile 14 when i was run/walking. Stuck it out for the longest 12m ever though. Knew it was a bad sign when i found myself breathing hard after climbing the hotel stairs before the race- lol!. To top it all, I woke up this morning with full-blwn man-flu facing a 4hour driveimage. Sitting here now with no voice and streaming noseimage

Still onwards and upwards. Think I'll be back for next year's outingimage

• Options

Bionic Border Terrier: I think that was me who gave you the words of encouragement and you returned the favour when you re-passed me a mile or two later. Your words of motivation were that at the pace we were going we could beat 3:30. I was not as close as you but at 3:35:15 I was over 7 minutes faster than 2007 and that time may be sufficient to get me into Boston 2012.

Maybe the yellow and black vest wasn't bright enough or and I'll look to enlarging the footprint on my back next time!

• Options

Jeez TRex, just looked at my mile splits and I know it was downhill but can't believe you made me do 7.27 on mile 6!!!! lol!

• Options

Very Tough luck Chrissi. So how did the last finisher take nearly 7 and a half hours when you were on target for  a much better time?

Although I really enjoyed this year and the camaraderie of this thread, I will not be running Snod 2011. There are not many marathons left in my legs so I'll try a new one, or two next year. May come along to support and help though because we all needed that wonderful encoragement yesterday.

• Options
    EllieJEllieJ ✭✭✭
    Just watching it on S4C now - oh my god, hailstones! Well done to you all.
  • Options
    The narathon is on S4c now. If not in area google S4c and go to clic
  • Options

Wow-just watched it on S4C...fantastico..although did have to hide behind a cushion at the thought a camera had witnessed my 'Paula Ratcliffe' momentimage

Chrissi-just read your report again..I thought I was suffering matey, c'mon girl-next year you will do it.

JD-gutted for you after all that training..bet you were still quick thoughimage

DM, sorry to have missed you again..couldn't face anything last night except a bucketimage

I see Frodo has kindly opened the 2011 thread..many more adventures ahead. Where is my mentor Trex? No doubt he is still running over the mountains somewhere. Get back man, you've a list to startimageimageimage

• Options
    Strag RouteMaster wrote (see)

Bionic Border Terrier: I think that was me who gave you the words of encouragement and you returned the favour when you re-passed me a mile or two later. Your words of motivation were that at the pace we were going we could beat 3:30. I was not as close as you but at 3:35:15 I was over 7 minutes faster than 2007 and that time may be sufficient to get me into Boston 2012.

Maybe the yellow and black vest wasn't bright enough or and I'll look to enlarging the footprint on my back next time!

It was me, thanks very much for your kind words and the offer of a gel, i was in some discomfort before we chatted and as soon as you left the pain went and i was a different man. I owe you.

• Options
    What was your time JD? you left us on a bit of a cliffhanger!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Arch- sorry- 3:36.40image

BBT and Strag- must have been with you guys at some point too.... the footprint rings a bell.....

• Options

JD - small world isn't it! We probably even passed a few words to each other. I do remember seeing a TROTS shirt near me.

The coverage on S4C was excellent, even if you can't speak Welsh, and I like their use of the upbeat soundtrack.

• Options
    Just watch coverage on s4c couldn't see me but my wife was on it in Bethgelet!!!image
  • Options
    Does anyone know when it becomes avalible to watch online? Also was it marathon photos taking the pictures yesterday? cheers
  • Options

Hi all.

First of all, Chrissi, I'm really sad to hear the news of your race, I was hoping to bump into you at the back of the field, a fellow plodder. 

As I said in a previous post my first and last marathon as I've now achieved what I set out to do 2 1/2 years ago, an ambition of nearly 30 years, doing a marathon. I've been through glandular fever shin splints over that 2 1/2 years and I set off at 14st 6lb and am now 12st 6lb. 

As for me, 5hr and 11min which I think makes me one of the slowest and definitely the slowest on this thread, but do I care - no - as I ran ALL the way. At the top of the hill at 24 miles things got bad with the weather and the hail stone hurt. I remember running through a puddle that went up nearly to my knees. I really, really struggled with the last two miles and was quite desperate in the end. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two at the finish due to the pure emotion of fulfilling my ambition..and raising over £300 for children's hospices.

Did the first 13 miles in 2hr 20min  and the second 13 miles 2hr 50min which tells it's own story. One 20 mile run and two 15 mile long runs are not enough preparation.

A massive thanks for all the support on this thread you're all stars, and fast ones at that.

I can do under 4hr 30min if I put in more long run preparation......uuummmm.

• Options
    Mr Ben / Chrissi and all the others that have posted their stories on this forum. I think that you all have amazing and inspiring stories to tell. Mr Ben, I've got to tell you - I honestly don't think, in fact I'm sure, I couldn't run for 4:30 hours, especially in those conditions on such demanding terrain. To raise £300 for children's hospices is totally b****y fantastic - people like you are the real heroes, us enthusiastic club members just do it for selfish reasons!
  • Options

FF- I know I am a novice runner but as my club mate and I stood there watching people finish past the 4:30-5 hour mark we both said how much that must take, a true example of human guts and determination.

I wanted a special marathon as my first and Eryri didn't disappoint, I will be back but maybe not next year.

• Options

Mr Ben  First off I echo FF you are one of the real insperations on here, well done mate. I will admit to sheding a few tears on finnishing my self.

Keep running and keep inspiring your family most be very proud of youimage

• Options

Saw a few of you of the tv coverage.....JD at least three times ....carrot top aswell flying along !!!!!  Was excellent coverage and bought back the whole race vividly!!!!

I have to say i think anyone that stands on the start line of Snowdonia marathon is an inspiration....Fast, slower or just somewhere in the middle it is still an amazing feat and it is all of us that make the race what it is.....a truly tough, gruelling challenge.  One and all deserve a huge pat on the back.image