Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Well the wheels fell off at about 8 miles but managed to finish in 4.41. No the fastest time but hey ho.

Hope your all recovering!!
  • Nice link Boxer - are you on commission from S4C (or FE) for every time you are shown on it (I lost count!)? I seem to recall saying to you that when running with one of the top ladies in the race you get picked up by the TV cameras - spotted myself just the once this year - passing the 1st lady at the bottom of the Llanberis Pass. Also spotted stone_monkey before the start and Dave Owen a few times (including a mention - famous relative!?)

Have enjoyed following the thread and contributing latterly (a prolific racer I am not) - as a result I'm hoping to meet up with TR38, who (despite his description) I didn't get to meet on Saturday, for a run along the Colwyn Bay prom sometime - also arch stanton - hope to meet up for a run up/down the Conwy Valley sometime (send me a message - I'm considering joining your club!)

• I'm not ashamed...I cried like a baby....I was so pleased it was finished.....but in retrospect, I bloody loved it and the hail just made me giggle!!! Well done everyone!!!
  • Thanks everyone

your right Frodo i'm still to raw from it to make any decsion about next year - think am going to go on my hols tonight image enjoy the sunshine and good food and wine then re-evaluate when i gat home and start running again (though i have sneaked some kit into the suitcase).  The hills didn't phase me it was the cold and that blurry storm that did me in. 

Get well soon Brer and JD (saw you on the telly)

Well done Mr Ben

Strag - must admit to being most peed off when i saw the 6 hour plus and 7 hour finish times when the minibus man told me i wouldn't get a time if i carried on but i guess i looked pretty grim at that point and he was only thinking of my health and safety.  Don't think i would of got warmer just colder - i was still shivering at 10 o'clock when i went to bed!!

See you all on the 2011 thread in a couple of weeksimage

• Well done everyone on finishing what certainly lived up to the toughest marathon on the calendar!

A real eye opener after the flat London 2010 marathon (my 1st marathon). Snowdon only being my 2nd marathon i thought i had it in the bag at 17 miles until cramp started in the right calf - got through to 19 miles before it really kicked in and by this time it was in both calves! Desperate to finish i managed to walk up the last big hil until a life saving spectator offered a calf massage - what a gent- thank you! The pain was something else but may have just got e through.

Hobbled on for another mile until a large puddle caused another major cramping session which took what felt like a lifetime just to straighten the muscle. Arrived at the major downhill section and suddenly found i could run the steep bits - yippee!!

Boy was i happy to see the finish straight with my wife,4 year old  & 2 yaer old boy cheering me over the line - suddenly it was all worth it! Even managed to stay under 4 hours at 3:53 something so the target is set for next year!

A big thank you to all the organisers and volunteers whom made it possible.Fantastic set up and a real credit to the event.

Definitely back next year - has anyone got advise on where to stay? I live in Reading and stayed with a friend in Telford who was also running.Travelled down on the morning of the race but getting up at 5.30am for a 10.30am start isn't great preparation me thinks.

• Jamie, try Caer Menai B&B in Caernarfon. £60ish per night. I've stayed there the last three years. Only 20 mins from Llanberis. This year I had the room with the bath - and have booked it again for 2011. Details at http://www.caermenai.co.uk/home.htm
  • Thanks Eric i'll look this one up.

Does anyone know which weekend thre race is next year?

• Jamie, there were a bunch of us staying at Ben's Bunkhouse ... about halfway between Llanberis and Nant Peris, and £15 pppn. Basic, but heated, clean and tidy. No bath but lovely hot showers afterwards. I stayed with my husband, 7 yr old and 10 yr old http://www.bensbunkhouse.co.uk/
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Don't know if I dare show my face on here image.

At least I got one thing right - the weather  forecast!  We can safely say the SNOD weather did not disappoint.  For those who finished early - you missed something special out there.

• Hairy Thistle .....how did you get on?? ....was good to see you briefly before the race ...image

T-Rex ......Good to see you ......the hangover has just about subsided now !!!!!!  Was good to meet you all and enjoy the merriment of the Padarn image

• Jamie.

I have stayed at the Premier Inn in Bangor for the last 3 years. £65 per night for a family room (not per person) spottless clean  . Great breakfast in the morning (continental or full english, and kids eat free) . 9 miles from llanbers, which takes about 15 minutes in the car .

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That confirms it, panad.  That was you overtaking me on the grassy descent looking like a seasoned fellrunner.  Sorry I couldn't have helped more.

Hard to put what my lack of performance was down to.  I'm going to get an immense ribbing for this, especially from one particular party who will have already scanned the results ...

I'll post my expected (hypothetical) splits along with grim truth later on.  It's not so much they were wrong proportionately - I still stand by them - but that for every mile I was 15-20s too slow.  It was good to run with panad, Dina Mo, and TR38 for the first 12 miles.  TR I must have lost you in the Beddgelert traffic - I looked behind after the W/S and could no longer see you. I'm really glad you are so positive about your experience.

Miles 13 - 21 I was using Nicola Q as a pace maker myself!!  (I nominate you as the sub:4 pacer next year, or you might have 3:40-ish plans of your own!)  You were always just that tantalising 100-200m too far ahead for me to catch.  And you motored up the hill.

I don't know if it's this asthma business, or that stomach ulcer for which I am still on medication. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Anyway the post-race entertainment was great fun, even if we couldn't find anywhere else to go for the 2400 - 0100 slot. (It wasn't for want of trying!)

Don't know where the time went but it was 0135 by the time I got back to the field in Nant Peris where I had pitched my tent in the wind and rain Fiday evening.  And guess what?

• Please dont tell me you got in the wrong tent image

Here are my sub 4 splits i think there was one odd one at the end of mile 18 where i stopped at a water station for a little longer than i would have liked

8:33 8:45 9:36 10:16 9:35 7:52 8:00 8:15 8:53 8:35 8:50 8:44 8:30 9:45 9:56 8:46 8:16 8:39 9:17 8:21 8:21 9:23 12:43 11:21 9:08 7:18 1:25
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It was still there!

How was your pop-up tent when you got back to your site, carrot top?  And what was going up that hill like??  Did you go straight up or do a zig-zag route which makes it easier?

After a lie-in Sunday morning image, I had a great day out in the hills and covered Elidir Fawr (3031'), Y Garn (3107') and Glyder Fawr (3284').  The summits were in the cloud but slightly lower the mountain panorama was spectacular and the sunshine warm. 

Got into difficulties in failing light and increasing mist descending from Glyder Fawr on the supposed path to Pen-y-pass.  It was mostly a non-path and I was soon on very difficult ground with bogs and steep, wet rock.  Took a tumble into a bog at one point.  Why does this sort of thing happen to me even on an innocuous walk in the Glyders?

Was home safely before 2200 in a record drive home in 3:30.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    nicola - you stopped for a mid-race emotional reunion with somebody - I really thought I was going to catch you there. 
  • Great splits nicola fantastic timeimage

T-rex I new going into it my leg wasn't 100% no excuses my own fault for doing some hard runs the month before race. I had a great time and I am looking forward to next year. I learnt alot of lesson's one I started training for it to early I new I had peak about 6weeks before so next time i will start training at wright time!!image

• I stayed at the Royal Victoria hotel in Llanberis...minutes away from the registration....and you get free parking there too. Can get special offers..single room £30, twin/double £60 incl. breakfast.

http://www.legacy-hotels.co.uk/legacy-royalvictoria/home.asp

• This was my 16th consecutive Snowdon and fourth different course with the same number 108.

Due to work commitments this year which took up vertually every weekend of the summer the only run longer than eleven miles was the Lake Vurnwy Half Marathon and then i assisted a friend by pacing him around his first half in a very slow 1hr 54min.

That day i continued round for a further 5.5miles to atleast attempt one long run in my training.

Thankfully Iorwerth Roberts was not in the best shape for a good time having had an injury throughout the year so i helped him around the course for the second year in succession.

Without realising it the three other runners who had also competed in every Snowdon Marathon have now fallen by the wayside and Iorwerth wearing number 28 is the only runner to have entered and completed every race since it started.

I finished in a very slow 5hr 23 which by my standards is very slow indeed having run the race in the past 2hrs 2min faster in a time of 3hrs 21.

In some way i felt a bit guilty in not having the opportunity to train for the race but atleast i turned up unlike 800+ runners who had entered but desided not to attend.

Unless those 800 were injured which i doubt what is the point in entering the race and not turning up because i know fulwell most of them would have put in far more training than i had done.

The last person to finish this year took over seven hours so no matter how under trained you are it is in most runners ability to finish the race in that time.

Even with out any endurance mileage in my legs i was able to walk back to my car at the Royal Victoria Legacy Hotel feeling tired but refreshed. I had completed the distance at such a slow pace that i had not depleted my energy reserves and felt overjoyed like Iorwerth at having completed my 16th consecutive Snowdon Marathon. ( I even ran several miles in the winds of 2002)

As for the new course i think it is the making of the race with the enjoyment of seeing familiar views nearly a mile closer than before.

Half way is now near Gelert Outdoors instead of half way up that terrible two mile slog.

Not having bothered to wear a watch realising that i was lacking any endurance to test my self on my favorite course i was really surprised at how quickly the race went and the old Bryngwynant road was not the nightmare i thought it might be infact i believe somebody had done some rock removal because i had walked down the same road three weeks earlier and some of the bigger stones had been removed.

In one way i feel the course is slightly easier than its predecessor with finishing on the main street but this years weather was incredible.

If it had been windy we would have had RAIN, SLEET,HAIL,SUNSHINE AND EVEN THUNDER AND LIGHTENING which was a first even for Iorwerth who can never remember Thunder and Lightening in the races 28yr history and boy have we had some rough weather over the years.

I sent the organisers a much deserved thank you and thankfully 108 has my name attached to it for 2011.

In all the Snowdon Marathon deserves its reputation as being one of the best marathons in the Uk and even with the new course it still remains one of the toughest in Europe and long may it continue to do so. 

• TRex-have I missed something?? Looked for you but many numbers covered up and I was feeling groggyimage. Boy, you must have had an exciting night camping the night before..it was blowing like a tornado through Waunfawr.

Brer

• Sorry to have missed you Brer...as we started our first marathon out together last year with this one...even if you've clocked up the marathons since you speedster you!!! Well done on the time...thats fab...even if you did have the trots and vomit getting it image (still stand by the immodium). Maybe another time huh! I've been told I have to have next year off Snowdonia as the travelling and accommodation all adds up....but little miss DM has asked if she can stay a little longer next year and take the train up to the summit of Snowdon, so  you never know xxx
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

brer rabbit - I didn't see the likes of you, stephen kavanagh 4, and stret09 because you were all way ahead throughout and achieved your target with minutes to spare (especially stret - well done on that time - I predict you will be down to 3:25-ish after a few more marathons).   I wonder what your marathon time could go down to without d and v, brer?

Mr Ben - a lot better than your original sub-6 though!  Hope you enjoyed your last marathon image.

Hang on a minute - where's Andrea B?  You all right, Andrea?  Oh, what a night ...

• Folks, some more photos up on Alastair's website now, see

http://www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk/snowdonmarathon2010.html

Greg, you're flying mate ! Both feet off the ground !! You should try the Snowdon hill race in July - you get 5 miles of downhill in that one. image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭

TRex  - I thought i might have passed you on the descent into Llanberis but couldn't really believe I'd even got close to catching up with you again after losing sight of you at around mile 19 and didn't dare turn round to try and confirm if it was you or not for fear of going a over t - I almost went several times on the way down as it was! (btw no seasoned fell runner here, in fact only ever gone off road a handful of times, I took the plunge over the summer of aquiring some off road shoes with a look to experimenting, but didn't do too much because of training for SNOD, hoping to get a lot of use out of them this winter though image)

looking forward to sub 4 attempts in 2011 - it was always a long shot this year, fuelled by excitement and tapering madness before the race, my original sub 4:15 proved to be the realistic target on the day image

• Didn't make the sub 4 this time - my knee gave in just before mile 18 and had to rest/limp/walk/run the last 8 miles but was close with a 4:03:39. Up until that point I was flying and still felt quite strong but alas was not meant to be this time. Looking at my splits I figure I've lost about 23-25 mins in those last 8miles.

8:05 / 8:08 / 8:52 / 9:18 / 9:22 / 7:15 / 6:55 / 7:26 / 7:53 / 7:46 / 8:03 / 7:53 / 8:03 / 9:26 / 9:53 / 8:42 / 8:06 / 8:35 it was midway through this last mile that my knee went and couldn't run properly after that so my  times dropped drasticallyimage

Strag RM, sorry you won't be running next year - was hoping I'd give you a run for your money in 2011image

Sorry you didn't make it Frodo, see you next year thoughimage

• Damn TRex I thought everyone might have forgotten about me!!!! Guess i'll have to come out of hungover hiding to say............

What a race..........most fantastic race I have run, can't imagine living my life without ever doing it again.......was hoping (secretly) for 4.20 but officially sub 4.30........managed it in 4.28.45 and loved loved loved loved it! Cried like a baby at the end but had to curtail it when i realised that NONE of my family were there..........they had expected me a bit later so I was chuffed to pieces to shout them and say "Oi, I've finished you sods!!!!"

What a post-race piss up........although I tend to think most of the alcohol was consumed by myself and Daisy Duke (NQ2 to those who've forgotten her car wrecking episode). Was fantastic to meet everyone.....I would name everyone individually but perhaps can't quite remember the finer details......although I do remember talking a LOT to Carrot Top........slightly concerned that he is still in Llanberis somewhere looking for that elusive post midnight pint????

What a karaoke line up..........We are the Champions in RunnersWorld styleeeeeeeeee

What a luverrrrrrrrrrly .......

...breakfast on sunday in Pete's
    ...cottage we stayed at virtually opposite Pete's
    ...feeling i had on sunday morning that i'd done everything i set out to do!

Sat here wondering what to enter next....was going to be Edinburgh but £45????????????? (I grew up in Scotland and am still seriously tight with money!!!!)

Feel the need to mention.....

...TRex...lovely bloke...respect to you for camping it up in Nant Peris!!!
    ...BritNick ... for singing (although I think some may challenge us on that) karaoke with me
    ...Snowdonia Snail....for running all the way and for having to put up with us as near neighbours!
    ...Hairy Haggis....lovely seeing you at the start and really good to catch up with you in Pete's on sunday morning...Good luck in Florence!!!!
    ...Jason D for supplying me with a seemingly unachievable challenge of a training programme (which damn well worked in the end) (and for today being my work partner in sore legs, walking strangely and being unable to do quad stretches in the office!!!)
    ...Nicola Quinn for being my best friend, talking to me sternly when I wobbled and holding my hand to the start line in Llanberis!
    ...Mr Andrea B for doing what you do best! image

I feel like i've just done an Oscar acceptance speech.........I will now be found on the Snowdonia Marathon 2011 thread..........see you all there¬!!!!!
    (smileys broken here grrrrrrrR)
  • Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Thanks HL - it's a great photo image. Really enjoyed the descent again and was flying - the photographer shouted "Be careful - it's very slippy" but there was no way I was slowing down as I was trying to regain some of the 3 mins I lost with hamstring cramp at mile 24!

I did the fell race in July and loved that descent (1hr 6 up and 35 mins down gave a time of 1 hr 41 mins).

Back for both next year image.

• Oh keep the postings coming folks..just reminds me again of what a fantastic occasion and achievement this race is. I feel I have made many good friends on here even though I havent met any of you except SD of course. 

TRex-I came 8th in my category this year, next year I go into next age category..I would love to come 3rd (I did in Anglesey 7 weeks ago-not overall I hasten to add!) so that will be my target for Snod. However, must not do 3 marathons in 7 weeks next year-not good for an ageing ladyimageimage OOps, not actually looked to see what was 3rd time in next group-maybe ladies just get faster with age!

Seem to be over lurgy bugs but well and truly knackered now as I'm sure we all are. Very hot radox bath tonight. When do the lights get switched off in this room and we vacate to the next??