Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

SRM - I couldn't face a flat one either, I found miles 17-22 awful too, found it much better once I reached Waunfawr, I found it was something to aim for to keep me going.

See you there next yearimage. Need to up the training now if I'm going to aim for 3:30.....

Stret 09 - must have seen you at the finish!

• T Rex - It was a case of two runs for me the first half i really enjoyed it and was on time for my 4:30 but then after about mile 16 i started to struggle.  I think it was manily due to being injuyed earlier in the month and not running any further then 10 miles in October when really i should of been running my longest. Suffered from cramp and my injury returned after mile 16 and then I actually enjoyed the hill at Waunfawr espically all the ponds at the top image as i did not feel guilty for walking.    Finsihed in 5hrs 8secs (so I suppose I will have to come back in the future to get under 5.

I felt more sorry for my children who were waiting at the finish in the hail and rain.

• Right then, time for the report from a still beaming SS. Starting line was just ½ mile from my house so walked up with my running partner, Hugh. Heavens opened as we walked by the Spar so decided to have a little jog to warm up. Got to the starting line about 15 mins from start of race and met up with a few familiar faces, I didn’t recognize any forumites at the start line up. Weather got better and the sun finally got out minutes before the start, ideal. Can’t remember if I heard a hooter or gun but we were off, I was my mate’s pacemaker, although he had ran it twice before he had only trained around 40 miles for this one. I tried to stick to T Rex’s suggested splits to try and get under the 5 hour mark so he suggested 12 mins mile for mile 1-5. Mile 1 flew by and it was 9:14, waaaay too fast for my liking although it felt very comfortable but I was determined not to go too fast. Mile 2 was a bit slower at 9:54 but I knew I had the pass to negotiate and would lose time on there, mile 3, 11:09, the climbing starts steadily and we are still chatting away and enjoying the atmosphere. I physically stopped at the 1st water station and made sure I drank the whole cup, Mile 4, 12:27, still going steady even at the steepest part of the pass, ran the whole way to the top, again at the top, stopped to drink more water, then off down to Penygwryd, 5 mile, 11:49, I was now 5 minutes ahead of T Rex’s splits and I wasn’t even puffing, good sign, 6-13 mile, he suggested 10 min miling , 6 mile, half way down the track on the new route, 9:21, loved this road as I am used to running on this kind of terrain on the mountains and in the quarry, mile 7, 9:37, down on the old road, still going well, my mate said he loved the pacing, 8 mile, after the little hill which took us back onto the main road, 10:01, that’s more like it, another feeding station, stopped, guzzled some water and also took a gel, 9 mile, 11:18, pace dropping on the flat part but still within the splits, 10 mile, 10:49 steady but long drag to Beddgelert, mile 11, 11:12 still chatting away and also singing, mile 12, 10:31, still plugging away, mile 13, Beddgelert, 11:00, still going under 5 hour pace, another water station, more water and isotonic this time.

• Part 2

Mile 14 and 15 were a slog out of Beddgelert which was never ending, 12:31 and 12:55, mile 16, 11:05 picking up again, Rhyd Ddu water station and energy bars, yummy, my friend was cramping a bit by now but was still plugging away, mile 17, 10:44, still going pretty decent and I was feeling good, mile 18, 10:45, still going well but my friend was cramping on every little bit of hill. I had to stop and cut my nail on this mile as it was digging into my little toe, so took a while, mile 19, 11:29, feeding station, took water and cereal bar. Still feeling surprisingly good but my friend was flagging, I carried on, trying to drag him with me to Waunfawr at least, mile 20, 11:23, can sense the finishing line and the mile markers were coming thick and fast, took another gel ready for the climb, water station, took on some more water, mile 21, 11:45, felt like going here but felt a little sorry for my friend so decided to stay and drag him to Waun at least, got the the bridge in Waun and was told to go, so off went, feeding station, more water, mile 22, 12:23, the climb out of Waun had begun, but I was still feeling strong and was running, keeping momentum, wife was there with the kids cheering me on, goose pimples or what, I was picking off runner after runner, it felt good, mile 23 15:33 still running, never thought I would still be running at this stage, more water and off I went again, more runners picked off, and fair play, there were some nice comments from a few runners because I was still running as most, or maybe all of them were walking by now, mile 24 soon came, 14:21, the end is near but the weather was closing in, big hail storm here, got to the gate, another cup of water, was offered tea but, no, I wanted to go, mile 25, 11:43 really slippery on this part, was pickng off more runners, felt really comfortable coming down this part as I like this kind of terrain, through the gate and down towards the road, still passing runners, got to the road and felt like I was really shifting, mile 26 was soon upon me, 9:02, high street here I come and I felt as if I was sprinting for the finishing line, 0.2, 1:30, wow, felt a bit emotional but ecstatic as well. Will be doing this one again next year for sure.

Post race party at the Pad went down really well, Jason d must have had a cask of Brains to himself, Andrea B and Nicola Q drank all the wine!! image T Rex, Carrott Top, Brit Nick also there and in good form and Dina mo for a short while along with a few clubmates of Jasons’. Karaoke animal that is Andrea B got me to sing a duet with her, Don’t go breaking my Heart, the race didn’t but the song did, what fun, and she eventually got us all up to sing We are the Champions, which in my mind, we all were on the day.

Right, as for next year, would it be unreasonable for me to set a target of 4:30 or under??

SS
  • Briliant race report SS, feeling quite emotional here reliving it all.....i think we had fairly similar runs to be honest! 

Never mind unreasonable, I reckon you can do 4.30 without a problem!!image Living where you live (image <- closest thing to a jealous smiley i could find) you could run most of the course every weekend!!!!!!!

• Thanks Andrea,
    I know, it is a fantastic place to live, so many different training routes. Don't know if I'd enjoy a flat marathon after htat!!
    SS
  • Folks, looks like some of the photos are starting to appear on http://www.marathonfoto.com. It says that they are still identifying photos from the race, but mine are up, so worth a look image
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭

yay!  my legs have returned image

went for a v v slow 5 mile plod to celebrate yesterday, hoping for another similar plod tomorrow and then again at the weekend.

think it may take a bit longer for my 11 yr old daughter to recover from her embarassment at mam stripping to her undies on llanberis high street (at far end away from all the people/tv camera i should add! image) - it was cold and wet, no point putting warm dry clothes over soaking wet running kit so off it came

• Hey Panad-can relate to stripping off-off came everything when next to car-stark bollock naked and didnt care a damn as I had to get into warm gear..arrest me officer, I is a defenceless marathonerimage

C'mon, when do entries open..credit card still at the ready!!!!!

• panadpanad ✭✭✭

HL - looked at website earlier and they're saying entries open jan 1st for next year image

• Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Just noticed that - I guess the race date will be 29th?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Love the report, S Snail.  Glad my splits worked for you even if they didn't for me!

Yes, roll on the 29th.  We'll order the snow now, shall we?

• Cracking report SS image
  • Congratulations to everyone who took part this year image.

I didn't think anything would top the Snowdon fell race that I ran earlier this year, but if anything this was even more satisfying. Can't wait for next year!

• cheers for the heads up about Llandudno '10' i've entered, just flat mara for me next year i want to do a bit of PB chasing before i get too old image (but not at gloucester). stret my mara performances have been a bit disappointing this year, and your improving fast so we might be closer than you think.
  • Many congratulations also to everybody - this was my first marathon and whilst I had a tough time with the dreaded stomach cramps I am definitely doing it next year! Wonderful organisation and the support going round was fantastic given how there are very small pockets of people living around the course which actually made it more overwhelming that they took the time to support us.

I ran 5 hours 24 mins and I'm most proud of that as I had to stop to deal with the stomach issue a couple of times.

What a great bunch of people to run with! Many thanks to Chuck and co for their wonderful support in getting us all to the cut off in time when we were all really hurting at that point.  The last hill involved a lot of swearing.

I am now preparing for the Beacons Ultra in 2 weeks time image but am having a good active recovery week with the promise from my wonderful trainer of some back to back long runs next week (mind you after what we went through on Saturday it seems much less daunting now).

I can't wait for next years race as I simply want to better my time and this time enjoy the scenery a bit more as its my favourite place in the UK. 

Em image

• I might see you at Llandudno ct as I have never done a 10miler (nor a 1/2M for that matter) before and it is not as if I've got too far to go? (everyone I've spoken to re running in Llandudno always raved about the "old" 10mile race - route has, I understand, changed - should be even quicker by all accounts?). The only thing going against me doing the race is I'm doing London and I'm not sure I'll be able to get away with doing 2 races in 2 months!?

Getting too old ct? I see from the Snowdonia results that almost 1/2 of the 1st 30male finishers were 40+!!

• JB,10m is a great distance to run, your running hard but in controlled way image, plus its a lactic threshold training run into the bargain, resultimage.  like you, i've never had the pleasure of llandudno 10 as it was before my time, but its legend certainly lives on with all the runners around these parts. The timings perfect for me 6wks after Rotterdam mara, so time to rest and recover and perfect build up to castles relay (if i make the team).  I'd say it'll be a massive sell out but might be a bit close to Chester half and the reborn ultra sandstone trail race (33miles i think) is also about then. they reckon us mortals peak at about 40 for mara's but are still capable of almost matching that time upto 50, but avoiding injury becomes more difficult. i reckon i'm in or at least close to mara PB shape so I want a good stab at it next year.
  • In one of my 'desk cleanup' phases I found the marathon map with all my expected times at various points. I'd put me down as 5:12 and I got 5:11 !!!!!!!

I predict 3:30 next yearimage

Oh, in North Wales on weekend of 21st so thiought I may eneter Conwy half but all sold out. Llanberis to ??? for me.

• Well guys and gals .....its been a real blast knowing you allimage ....and its funny how you feel like you know people without ever having met them.  The support and motivation of this thread have made the training and build up to this marathon so much easier but im afraid to say its now time to jump shipimage..........

but the good bit is i will see you all over on the Snod 2011 threadimage  Providing i dont have some kind of huge hangover on January 1st i will be waiting along with my flexible friend (or not so these days!!) to get my entry in for next years race

see you all soon image

• Snowdon was my first marathon.  What a wonderful place to do such a ridiculous thing.  I've literally had to relearn how to walk over these past few days.  I don't think I'll ever be quite right again!

I've got to say a big thanks to the organisers and marshalls for putting on such an amazing event.  And well done to everyone who had a go.  26.2 miles is long way.  At mile 17 I began to think that marathons weren't for me.  Now I'm looking out for my next one. image

If you're bored, have a read of my stupid running ramblings and race report on my James Goes Running blog thingy at http://jamesgoesrunning.blogspot.com/.

Thanks Snowdon.

• CancelThe Sky - what a fantastic read that was.

I must take issue with the part regarding the last hll at 22 miles though...

"Nearly everyone except the odd nutter was reduced to an uphill shuffle. "

WHo you calling a nutter? image

I was 20 min behind you....this yearimage

Yes I'm off too, maybe to be seen on he 2011 thread.

• yep time to say goodbye, hopefully see you all at snod 2012. although i hope our paths will cross again sooner. 

As always its been a great fun. till next time

CT

• panadpanad ✭✭✭

for those of you, like me, who didn't feature in alistair tye's pix he's realised he forgot to upload some and has know done so....

http://picasaweb.google.com/alastair.tye/SnowdonMarathon32010#

• Panad thanks for that great pics of you, me, t-rex and dino moimage
  • Well done you lot, some great performances. I'm afraid I had to shut out the whole thing in order to get in shape for a different finish line. Well done again - you are the champions.
  • Evening all,
    Thanks everyone for the good wishes on my first marathon.And congratulations to everyone who completed the race.
    I now need convincing that the time I took to complete my first marathon was a decent one. Feel a bit deflated really as the feedback I have had from a few locals have made me doubt myself, I have had a few comments such as " I could have walked faster". It's not in me to bite back and argue with these idiots. My self esteem is quite low anyway and these comments don't help at all. I have raised £500 for a friend of mine who is waiting for a heart transplant by competing in my first marathon, I am biting my tongue, I know I am better than these idiots but it hurts.

SS
  • SS, they are only making themselves feel good about their own inadequacy by belittling you. Ignore them. Those who matter (your nearest and dearest and your fellow SNOD-ers) understand and know what you have achieved, and are mightily impressed.

panad, thanks for the link. I thought Alistair's camera must have been shorted out by the rain when we ran down. I'm there after all! Britnick.

CancelTheSky, brilliant report.

Mr Ben, I ran all the way up that last hill too. image

• Welcome back SZ-how are you?

SS- I cannot believe there are such bitchy people out there..do not let them undermine you-in my experience, no-one cares about the time when you tell them you have done Snowdon marathon, they just gasp in awe!!

• SS, It is a fantastic achievement for anyone regardless of time to complete Snowdonia..Do not listen to negative, ignorant people, they and their narrow minded opinions do not matter.

Well done for making this your first marathon, couldnt find a tougher one!!