Post run eating?

2»

Comments

• I like almond butter with fig jam on brown toast. (My brother told me about this combination and I have it when I go and stay with him. Unfortunately he lives in the US and it is much easier to these ingredients over there.)

Tastes nice, high in fibre and good fats. 

• I have Bran Flakes and tea and a couple of slices of toast and marmalade. Then I need to go to the loo 300 times. Then, just before I set off on my long run,  I go to the loo another twice. There is nothing more awful than realising you need the loo a few miles in to a half marathon.

Are there runners' enema kits available? I don't know how I will be ready for my full Marathon in May next year at 9 in the morning without one. I will have to have brekky about 5 in the morning.

Sorry to talk about bowels, albeit in sketchy terms.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Agnes, cutting down on the fibre content just a little can make a world of difference.  I used to eat bran flakes, now porridge.  I used to have toilet issues 'on the run' and now I don't.  It could be a simple matter of avoiding the bran flakes and see how you get on. Definitely try out some alternatives before the marathon.
  • Thanks, PhilPub. I now realise why I should not have put my full name at the top of this. My bowels are out there for all to see now.
  • ... and your last name's appropriate Agnes. image
  • Agnes Brown - Don't worry talking about bowls, its a very important subject.  image  

Maybe you should start a new Thread about it.image

Branflakes make me fart.  So best eatten at night......  Poo!........  Branflakes and coffee!!!  Deadly.

• I've had what I call a 'Paula Radcliffe' moment during a 10km.  I just pulled off the trail squatted behind a tree for a wee and then went back on to the trail.  I've learned not to be embarrassed about bowels because it's my habit to want to 'go' at around 7.40am which is when I'm on my morning run.  So, if I've not been able to encourage one prior to me leaving the house I find a tree on my trail route. 

I mean a fox or dog or badger could have left it there.

Wolfie, you know how to romance a girl !  My leathal 4 are: baked beans, bananas, eggs and cabbage.  Light the blue touch paper and stand well back !  I'm in self imposed social quarantine when I know I've eaten those foods in one day !   

• Hooray. I thought I was the only runner with loo issues.

As for you, Parklife, my two reactions to your comment are as follows:

Badooom ching.

and

If my surname was Sh*te, that comment would work, but I think Brown is just too tenuous.

• Yeah, you're right Agnes, my attempts at jokes are sh*t. image

• Agnes, to go back to your post, maybe nerves are affecting your bowels, or as Phil suggests a lot of fibre in the morning.

As I mentioned on another post, it can help to soak porridge oats overnight before cooking them the next day, as this makes them more easily-digestible.

You mentioned enemas as well.  A water enema brings hydration into the body too, so might be an idea.

• Now I feel bad about being rude about your joke, but I am also wondering if you are joking about the enema. I certainly was when I mentioned it.

I will eat only slops on Sunday morning and see what happens.

Thank you all for your advice on this vile topic.

• Don't feel bad - it was rubbish and the pun after even worse. imageimage

I knew you were prob joking about the enema but they are good for hydration and might be a last resort solution but you'd probably have to do them a fair few hours before the race.  I'm on a course at the moment and we've recently had an enema workshop - theory, not practical image, that's why I added those comments about it. 

• I am writing now from a heavily disguised new name.

Is your course on colonic irrigation? Lucky fellow. Now I am going to try adding fatuous faces to my message.imageimageimageimageimage Gosh, that's fun.

• Hi Agnes - I like your new winter range.

I'm not a fellow BTW and the course is natural nutrition.