Anyone else have a problem with the word "race"

2»

Comments

• I was so glad when I saw this thread, because I thought it was only me that suffered pre-race nerves! As someone who has come to running later in life, I really love it and the buzz it gives me. But I could never understand why I got so nervous before a race, even though I know I'll never win anything, but now I know I'm in good company.

I especially agree with whoever said to look on races as one of your training runs, just with lots of other people. That's how I looked on the Reading Half-mara earlier this year and it helped me cope with my nerves.

Thankyou everyone and enjoy your races/runs/events.

• I.ve been racing now for 34 Years and the nerves still show every Sunday Morning when I have a race. Struggle to get Breakfast down, visits to the Loo and the worry you have the wrong shoes! Guess Im not going to change now!image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    The fitter I am the less nervous I am before racing. For me racing, and racing well, is the point of all those hours of training. If your well prepared you should have a good idea of what you are capable of - then its just down to execution.

Having said all that there's always that element of uncertainty that sets the adrenaline flowing and there's nothing to beat that feeling you get when the plan comes together and your heading for a blinder....mind you that only happens about half a dozen times in your running career.
  • That's a good point.  If you're reasonably experienced at race pacing and you know your fitness is good, there aren't many sports that are as straightforward as running for just getting out there and doing it.  Hence my point about one-on-one competition, especially combat stuff like judo. Scary as hell!  I also feel for athletes in more technical disciplines where, no matter how much training you do, one cock-up can ruin everything.  I can't watch gymnasts on a beam these days.  Too much to bear!  image
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Phil - track racing can be quite scary as it has elements of that one-on-one thing you describe. Also its performed, unlike road racing, in full continuous view of the spectators. That way you get to parade your short comings in front of team mates and loved onesimage
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Races or "events" never used to be a problem but the more I do the more I'm starting to have a problem with them.

I used to do the odd local Race for Life but now I'm getting into running I'm doing more and more races.

The thing is I don't do them at all for the competitive edge because I know I don't have a hells hope of winning them, I just go out to enjoy them and at the moment using them to build up my distance for VLM, so there is no nerves aspect.

I do about 3-4 runs during the week which I enjoy and they keep me fit enough for the race but whatever the distance of the race (whether it be actually shorter then my training runs or the same difference) I really struggle with energy.  I've started wondering whether it is the time of the race. I normally run first thing in the morning so maybe I'm using up too much energy just being awake for a few hours before it starts! I'm also finding that I can't get into the zone during a race. During my run, it's just me and I know the route so I zone out and block any pain or tiredness but with there be loads of people around me I can't get away with it.

And the loo thing is becoming an issue too. I never need to go on training runs but I go before I leave for the race and then end up needing to go once there. Being a woman it's a lot harder then for a guy just to nip behind a tree mid-race!