Football & VLM

Comments

• Hey BB!

I might well be the same as you with my garmin! Anyway, thanks for all your support throughout this process - I will keep popping into here !! And not just when the Jacks win!

• I think there could be a lot of leapfroging from now until the end of the season!image
  • Boro fan here. Still haven't forgiven Cardiff for beating us in the 1/4 final a couple of years ago when our name was on the Cup. No excuses, we were just horrible on the day ***wipes away tears*** Need Mr Strachan to start doing his thing quickly otherwise we will be too far back. Couldn't take it if we stayed doen and the skunks went straight back up.......... 
  • Hi Ian, the win against you in the quarter final was one of our best performances for years, i had mixed feelings myself, delighted we were going to Wembley but gutted it was on the same day as the Paris marathon which i had already booked & trained for.Hard decision do i cancel Paris & lose most of my money (£600) or do i follow my beloved club to possibly once in a lifetime experience? The thought of not witnessing something i have only dreampt about was too much & Wembley it was!image We won & was back up there 6 weeks later! So i ran Paris this year to make up for the dissapointment, so everything worked out o.k. We've got you soon at your place soon so let's hope Strachan takes his time ! All the best.

Blooooooebiiiiiirds!

• Yep, you deserved to win alright. Wish you had won the final as well.

What is Paris like? As I haven't managed to get in London via any channel (ballot, charity ballot and Super 6) I am torn between Paris and Edinburgh in the spring.

• Hi Ian,  i entered Paris in 2006 after another dissapointment of not getting into FLM , booked a eurostar /hotel deal, which did'nt cost much more than what i pay for London hotel & travel & got to be honest i thought the whole event was even better than London.The start  has got to be one of the best anywhere & with the roads being so wide you get into your stride straight away. It tends to be a bit more of a runners race with less fancy dress but the course is a lot better than London. If you're looking for a similiar kind of event to London you won't be dissapointed, all in all the best race i've ever run.I was thinking of entering Edinburgh if i did'nt get in to VLM but was put off by reports  of no water at some drink stations because of a theft the night before, also a lot saying it was a drab course.All the best .
  • Oh dear, I've literally just entered Edinburgh! D'oh!

Might consider doing both though or is that just being stupid....?

• All the best with Edinburgh, i would do it myself but it's quite a journey from Cardiff. Don't know if it's any help but i've just had a e-mail from travelodge saying they've got a £9.00 a room sale on through the spring , if i remember right i think they have about 3 hotels in Edinburgh.
  • Nearly a new weekend of footie!!! Jacks are heading up to Tyneside (could 11 game unbeaten streak be at risk??? I think it could - but we might just pull off an upset too!)

What're your teams up to??

• We've got Ipswich at home sunday who have'nt won away all season ( until this sunday that is). I fancy you'll get something at Newcastle, wer'nt that impressed with them at CCS. How's the running going & anything lined up?
  • Running's going well ... Cotswold 10k on Sunday coming up ... hoping to break the hour for the first time - haven't seen the course - gradients might be the deciding factor??
  • All the best on sunday & let's hope the weather is a bit better!
  • Good luck BB - hope it goes well. The Boro have got Peterboro away. Bottom of the league, new manager...I can see it now, another embarrassing defeat
  • There seems to be a muchness with most teams in this league & they're all capable of beating each other. The most negative team we've played against so far are Newcastle & yet they seem to scrape a lot of odd goal wins.
  • Hiya bb and ian and others!!

Less said about the Swans up at Tyneside the better, although we did win the shots at goal and possession statistics! Got done for by 3 headers.

Actually just saw the Cardiff score and don't know which is worse really! There's always next week, eh?

And now the Boro result at the bottom club too! Maybe we can all cry into our beer together!

THe Cotswold 10k ended at 1 hr 34 secs (not the time I wanted - but the hills did make the difference!) It wasn't Snowdon, but 1 steeper hill (for a km), 1 longer (1.3km) drag (and a shorter one - 500 metres?) took some time off (although the downhill bits obviously helped a bit to make up difference).

Pleased overall with the run though - probably my best one so far - though have run a little quicker on the flat at Swansea in Sept (but only 28 secs quicker).

• Well done today BB. Not good results this weekend  & it shows there's a thin line between top & bottom in this division. As for Cardiff  we were awful, we're in freefall & changes are needed soon or we could be looking at the teams below us. Bye for now.

Keep on runnig,

Blooooooebiiiiirds!

• Did anyone watch the Kettering Leeds game this afternoon?  It was a typical cup tie but quite enjoyable for the neutral.  At least we are still in the competition, and it would be fantastic to get to OT in the next round - havent been there for years.

BB - when I first moved down to London my flatmate was a Jack and I went to quite a few Swansea games - they were struggling then in league 2 (as is now) but good to see them back up there.

Ian - what do you think of the appointment of Strachan and the sacking of Southgate - seemed a shame to get rid of him after they stuck by him at first.  I'm not convinced of Strachan but we'll see how he gets on.

And running - I did a 6 miler this morning braving the rain - I am starting my training plan for the VLM now to give me 3 weeks in reserve if I get injured.

• Jury is still out on Strachan, Mike. I think Southgate had just run his course and, importantly, had lost the fans so I suppose his time was up. Should have gone at the end of last season to be honest.

January window will be key. IF Strachan brings a few new faces in and we start winning then all OK. Looks like WBA and the skunks are running away with it though. Boro, Cardiff and Swansea in the playoffs???

Thought the Kettering-Leeds match was really good to be honest. Very honest game. Nice to see.

• Hi Ian, i still think  virtually any team can reach the play offs including Ipswich.I'd swap you Strachan for Dave Jones!
  • I still hope we can go on a bit of a run and climb the table. The advantage you have is that you seem to have goals all over the place so always have a chance........
  • Christmas will be important for momentum as usual!!

Funnily enough Mike, I started out supporting your team as a 6 yr old in 1972 ... like a lot of people my age - Harvey/ Reaney/ Hunter/ Charlton/ Cherry/ Bremner/ Lorimer/ Gray/ Giles/ Clarke/ Jones - can't remember who was left back before Trevor Cherry though!!! - mental blank!!

Swansea was my second team for years, till they started freefalling down the old Division 2. We were watching them against Crystal Palace (and the Swans were poor that year - just after their flirtation with the top of the old Div 1!!) ... and through effort and a bit of luck found themselves one up with 15 mins or something to go. The substitution had been made and Colin Irwin wrecked his knee (again I think) and it was probably the last game he played. Anyway he stayed on the pitch (despite just hobbling around) and his spirt typified the team that day, they dug really deep and hung in there and won a new die-hard fan!! 26 or so years later they're still my team!

Of all our teams, I guess it's only really Leeds who are pretty much completely on course for promotion this year??? The rest of us can still dream having seen signs of hope so far??

• Ian Thomson 4 wrote (see)
    Terry Cooper BB?
    Doh!! Thanks Ian! That's probably the real reason I was drummed out of the LUFC fan club ... not remembering stuff like that!
  • Hey BB ... weird times with your team (and ours with referees!!!)

Went down to the Liberty yesterday and outrageous decision by ref to send off our Right back - for a supposed elbow ... their guy fell into him ...sent off on 17 mins and spoiled the whole game ... 

Boro seem to have had a better Christmas??

• Hi BB, how's the training going? Went up to Peterborough yesterday & could'nt believe what happened, totally collapsed second half & got what we deserved. The swans would be right up there if only they could find the back of the net more often. Still, it's going to be an interesting few months ahead with everyone capable of beating each other. All the best.
  • Weird how a team can be so good in one half and then collapse in the second ... it's a roller-coaster ride with your guys ... simple solution is to have a welsh team withour defence and your attack, though part of the reason we let in so few is our midfielders dominate posession, though we haven't got enough breaking forward who can actually get the ball in the net (though obviously even harder when you've only got 10 men for most of the game ...)

Training's been a bit spotty ... week off with stomach bug then snow ... getting back into it is harder, though maybe cos I've been forced onto other, hillier routes ... my usual route is still packed with ice ...

Did a pretty fast (for me) 10.45k the other day (fastest 10 k I've done, though I walked up a particularly steep hill for 400m towards the end and then bombed down the equally steep (and longer) other side of the hill - so not too sure what that told me - other than I've got to get some of my condition back again!!. How's your training going?

• I start training for VLM next week. Mainly treadmill in the winter months (except weekends) i bought it 2 years ago & to be honest it's been a godsend in the winter months, it at least guarantees keeping a schedule.
  • hi all

Leeds fan joining the thread - I did 3h33 last year but im not in great shape at the moment and Im finding the training a real pain this time around image

if only simon grayson was organising my training!