Great North Run

2»

Comments

• Aiming for under 2hrs 30, but last couple of weeks of training haven't been too good, ankle injury and now a stomach bug that has laid me out for nearly a week! I haven't ran more than 4 miles at a time in the past 3 weeks - I was doing so well until then.

Guess it's too late to improve now in the last few days, I did it in 1991 & 1992 but am now looking forward to this one very much - although nervous as I'm 10 years older!! Look forward to seeing an "after event" forum too.

For me the last stretch along the sea front is the worst - seems never ending! The crowds are marvellous though.

Good luck to everyone

• Hi Laura thanks for your advice.I did run this a few years ago but gave up running and now back but it is proving hard. I will be down about 40 mins on my best time but I will try.
  • Hi AMG
    Like you I haven't run more than about 4 or 5 miles in the last few weeks. I did a 10 back in Aug in 2hrs but since then its been non existent. Last night I managed 5 but the legs hurt today. As you say its too late to improve now but I will try 10 on Sat again and see how I feel.
  • I know someone else who is on your husband's training schedule, Laura. I run past his house about 2 miles into my regular route. Last week he came out to suggest that I abandon my run and come in to join his daughter's first birthday party. Last night he was just getting out of his car. "I'm doing very well with the carbo-loading," he said, wafting a fish-and-chip-scented bag in my direction. The scary thing is that he has been very fit in the past and will probably beat me. Although he is running with his brother-in-law who once bottled out of a marathon after a few miles and phoned for a taxi.
  • Perhaps the proportion of fast-twitch muscle fibres doled at conception cancels out the fish & chips. Mr L's idea of carbo loading is a full English breakfast with extra sausage, the out for the day with nothing but a handful of porkpies, Scotch eggs and Mars bars to keep him going.

Big news: mini (actually same height as me and bigger feet) and midget LL have entered the Great North Junior run. Hope they're better prepared than their father.

• Hi Trying to Run
    How is the calf injury? Are you able to run. Sorry to hear you may have to pull out. Let me know how you are.
  • Can you still enter the junior run this late, Laura? Kevin is a bit cross about not being able to join in this year and it would be great if she could.
  • How old you need to be for the Junior Run and how far it is?
  • Hi Tryer

I don't think the injury is as bad as first thought. I have decided to do the run. Probably looking at a time over 2 1/2 though. How's your training going? Did you manage to find somewhere to stay?
  • Hi Trying to Run

Glad you are going to manage to do the run. Hope injury stays away. Have decided to let the other half drive me down on the day. He can then take my bag and spend the next 2.1/2 to 3 hrs making his way to the finish. Will decide for definate after this weekends run.
  • Hi Tryer, Trying to Run & others,
    I'm SO glad that i stumbled upon this thread b4 The Run. I'm a beginner who's running for charity (which is the only reason i haven't quit) and the fear is starting to build BIG time! I've been training on my own and have also had a bad few weeks with injuries/flu. Aargh! Now i've hurt my knee so i've been swimming instead. It's looking like a "Great North Walk" at the mo. Feel much better after reading your comments tho, thanks :o)
  • Hi Flora and Tryer

Like you I am continuing as I am running for charity. But all else aside just go out and enjoy the day. I know I will be walking a bit especially the hills. As long as I get round and am not out there over 3hrs I will be happy. You never know, might even bump into you on the way.

Tryer how far are you going to run this weekend. I am going to try 8 miles. That will be the longest run I will have done.

• Hi Flora

Glad to hear you are running. It might be the "Great North Run/Walk" for me but like trying to run as long as I'm not over 3 hrs. Keep up the good work.
  • Hi Trying to Run

I hope to do 10m on Sunday. The same 10 I did back in August and if I can complete it then I will manage the 13.1. I am going to do it as a run/walk as the article I read says try 9 min run (plod) and 1 min walk. At the moment that seems to work ok. So on the day I will either do that or run (plod) to 1 mile then walk a mile and so on. Either way i'll still be out there a long time.
  • MikeyMikey ✭✭✭

AMG.

Not sure about the age limit but I think the distance is 5K

Cheers,

MikeB
  • Hi Tryer

I also read an article about run/walk. This one said run 1m walk for 1 min. I think that's what I am going to do. You never know we might end up next to one another. Even though I'm not really ready, I looking foward to it.

See you there.
  • This is quite do-able, and I think faster tha 17 minute miles!!
  • I read the run/walk article, very interesting. I've done that after recovering from a stomach bug and found it very good to get back into it again. Think I might try that too.
  • Oops just re-read my last note I meant run 1 mile and walk 1 min not 1 mile as I typed but I think I will opt for the run 9 min and walk 1 min
  • Re the Junior Great North, I think it's under 17's, the distance is 4 K not 5.
    It may be just too late now Vrap, I entered them on-line on Wed after being told 5 pm was the deadline but maybe if you gave them a ring they'd take more entries if they're not oversubscribed.

Good luck all.
  • Hi Trying to Run, How did the weekend run go? Did you manage 8miles? I only managed 7 as the ham string was a bit sore and I didn't want to make it worse before Sunday but felt good otherwise and raring to go. I accept i'll be a slow joe but its taking part that counts and as long as the sweep up bus doesn't catch me i'll be fine.
  • Hi Tryer

I also only did 7 miles, I felt I could have done another mile but decided not to. I felt quite good and recovered quickly but have had sore calfs for two days. Was going to go for a short run tonight but decided against it, its not going to make much difference now. Like you as long as the sweep bus does not catch me I'll get there. Good luck on Sunday.