Amsterdam Mary & Half 17th Oct 2010

Comments

• It looks like I'm doing the marathon in Amsterdam since the Abingdon organisers 'lost' my entry!!!

Anyone know how far this one is? Is it about the same as one of those Race For Lifes? image

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • parkrunfan

Half:

• Mr Tiggers
    • Mr Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • Curly45

7.5K:

Supporters:

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Okay so hotels...last time I went to Amsterdam I stayed in the radisson  blu - its lush but tres expensive...I want to stay around that area though - any ideas?

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Everyone back to H's?
  • Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi. I did it last year and got a PB, 3.06, deffo doing it again this year, great race with massive PB potential as it's flat as a pancake. Had no probs with drinks (it was in cups, but not bovved by that) or any of the other organisational stuff. Will be signing up later today, this thread has reminded me to do so.

Oh,and you can have a top night out in 'Dam afters as well, who'd want anything moreimage? Great place. Me & Girlfriend thinking of going to Bruge on the Monday, and advice on the  train journey there (i.e. how to book, and any deals) would be massively appreciated.

Cheers.

NM - sunny Edinburgh,image

• Hey People, How are we? Just getting back into things. A nice 11 miler last weekend felt good, but today am floored with a cold image Oh well...

In answer to Curly if you wanted something fancy then Hotel Estherea, Sofitel, NH City Centre, The Toren, The Ambassade are all semi close. I'm guessing from your comments you wanted something a bit more reasonable. What were you thinking?

As for entry they usual leave it open until it fills up, which is typically quite late. I wouldn't leave it too late though... you never know. Where do you live Boosh?

We'll have to organise some 'social activities' nearer the time image
  • Oh and Neil.. you can book Brugges via http://www.nshispeed.nl/ You'll probably just have to specify country, and you will have to change. That said the trains are super easy here and (usually image) on time...
  • Does that make sense? What I mean is it won't find Brugge until you specify 'Belgie'. It automatically searched Netherlands. You can also get tickets on the day, but nice to book before..
  • Hi Guys
    Signed up yesterday. Did New York in November and I have only done a bit of running since. Starting to get a little belly so it's time to focus and get training for a marathon...funny how that keeps the weight off!
    I will read back and catch up on the thread.

Cheers
  • Hi H, thanks for the info! Hmmm, I need to get my arse into gear then, with regards to my training. BTW, I'm south of the river.......in Delft! image
  • Nice.. still haven't made it there!
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Well that was nice - I've just done a very pleasant 9miler round a very quite airport here in Stockholm. I did about a mile out of the airport complex to a lake with a running trail round it, three laps of the lake and back to the airport.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    H. wrote (see)
    Hey People, How are we? Just getting back into things. A nice 11 miler last weekend felt good, but today am floored with a cold image Oh well... In answer to Curly if you wanted something fancy then Hotel Estherea, Sofitel, NH City Centre, The Toren, The Ambassade are all semi close. I'm guessing from your comments you wanted something a bit more reasonable. What were you thinking? As for entry they usual leave it open until it fills up, which is typically quite late. I wouldn't leave it too late though... you never know. Where do you live Boosh? We'll have to organise some 'social activities' nearer the time image
    Hi H! Thanks for the reply - think NH is full for the days I wanted (want to stay onto Monday you see)...I was really looking for another hotel on the same road as the Radisson if there is one...if not I'll book a refundable room there and see if anything else comes up a bit closer to the day image
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Glad you found somewhere to run Higs image
  • Booked my £2.00 flights today for £65, just need a hotel now. (4 star minimum for Mrs. D.)  
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Good deal on the flights Digger image

Found a lovely hotel which is now booked - Misc eatdrinksleep - it only has 6 rooms - should be lovely!!! 

• Hello!

I'm seriously thinking of doing Amsterdam this year. Does anyone know when entries typically close? I need a couple more weeks of thinking just to make sure but I don't want to miss out if it fills up v. early.

Cheers image

• Looks nice Curly, never seen that one before image

Hey Little Nemo, typically they close entries when they fill up.  This tends to be late on.  I've entered in sept before with no issue, so a couple more weeks shouldn't make any difference.  That said, don't think too long and hard.  You might realise what nutcases we are for doing this crazy distance running thing and talk yourself out of it! 

• Cheers, H! Just looking at hotels, flight etc. to see how much it might cost. Haven't made my last two marathons due to illness so I'm hoping it will be third time lucky...
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Well even if you are ill you still get a nice weekend in the Dam image
  • I did 6 miles this morning and another 6 planned for the morning. I have to try and get some miles in as I have 3 days in central London in a hotel with no gym. Not to keen on running on the streets and miles from a park.
    I am just ticking over at the moment and my actual training plan does not start until 21st June.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

If you're central london then parks are everywhere David!

The streets here are perfectly safe btw - its not roaming gangs of youngsters you know (mostly silly tourists being ignorant but hey ho what can you do image). 

Whereabouts are you - I can probs recommend somewhere - the thames path is always a good back-up too. 

• The only thing thats scary about running in London is that you might bump into Curly! image
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Not tonight - been out, under togs eating donuts now image
  • I'm in! image

I expect to be stricken down by some ailment or another shortly... image

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Ran to the Baltic Sea and back yesterday
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Yeah Nemo image

Sounds like a nice run Higs! 

• Higs..... good you found your way around the airport! Did you get to run on a runway? How far is the Baltic sea from where you are?image

H..   good run, can't believe you now have a cold!image Have you heard from Plum?

Welcome all new peeps, looks like there is quite a few of us now!

Little Nemo...  ailments are better now than in October. image Will still keep fingers crossed for you though!

• Are you stuck somewhere because of the volcano, Higs? I've never seen the Baltic Sea! Does it have ice?

Think I'll start my training in earnest in mid June so that gives me a few weeks to build my running back up to a sensible level. I'll be giving the Hal Higdon Intermediate another go. What training are the rest of you planning?

177 days to go!

• I did the intermediate one on this site last year and got a pb, the Hal Higdon looks a bit more of a challenge.  Running Sheffield half this w/e as my LSR but won't start training proper till next month.

Any other plans I can check out?