Amsterdam Mary & Half 17th Oct 2010

Comments

• Welcome Pete. I am doing thefull and it will be my one and only.....So  will be a PB for me ! LOL

Have done a few halfs..

Hope everyone are well

• Happy Monday everyone, sunny but cold here today...  image  Better than rain I guess.

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Happy Monday TB. Happy Monday everyone else.

I had a grumbling ankle all weekend so didn't get out for a long one but have just been out for a very pleasant 4 at lunchtime. Started off across frozen fields and gradually climbed up to the saddle of Kerridge (last bit's not gradual image), then along the saddle with views like this: http://happy-valley.org.uk/kerridge%20pan.htm before steaming back down the road with the ipod cranked up to 11.

• 221 days to go.....

Fabulous run Higs........ makes the pain of the hills worthwhile! image

Hope the ankle is good today.

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Another good one this morning - 3miles out of Macc along nice quiet roads, 3 miles back along the canal.

Anyone else running today?

• Afternoon...

I did 7 yesterday, up hills, coastal footpath and through the woods, it was perfect running weather! Not sure whether to have a rest day today,I ought to, but wether is fab again and the outdoors is beckoning......  hmmmmm...

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Call it a recovery run?

A nice gentle plod through the countryside on a lovely day can't do any harm.

• You persauded me! LOL

I would of felt guilty later if I hadn't gone out, so just had a lazy 3 miler admiring the views and sun!

• Hey people, glad to see you're all doing well.  Things are still not so great here.  Groin strain was getting better, did a couple of runs which were uncomfortable but ok.  Now my ankle's knackered and we've been holed up in a hospital in the south of the netherlands with the boyfriends father having critical surgery.  I really need to get my act together or come october I'll be good for nothing but cooking pre race pasta and handing out the drinks flasks...
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭

H - you'll be back up to speed before you know it.

Mountain biking for me today. 9 tomorrow.

• Sorry to hear that H. Hope the surgery went well.

Injuries do always seem to come in twos and threes, or they do for me. image Hope you start to heal soon, at least you have plenty of time to go yet. 

Higs, I was thinking of 9 tomorrow, but will see hoe tired I feel as have had two carp nights sleep, plus its Mothers day so maybe that means someone else can do 9 for me??? image

Enjoy yours!

• You wouldn't believe!!?  Stomach bug too all of last week.  Anyway the immodiums are kicking in so I've just signed up for a half in May.  Lord knows that has to be it for ailments now. How were the respective 9's?
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭

My 9 was hard work. Didn't really expect otherwise though.

I did a quick (for me) 4 and a half on Thursday. Then on Friday I rode to work and back on my fixed wheel road bike which was a bit of a shock to the knees as it's the first time I've has that one out this year. Plan for the weekend was MTB today, rest tomorrow and 9 again on Monday. However my back brake failed no the ride today so I cut the ride short - reckon I did about 1/2 distance but only about 1/3 of the hills. So.... I may skip my rest day tomorrow and get the 9 in the bag.

Next week is complicated as Mrs Higs is away all week (in Amsterdam) so I'll just snatch bit of running at work when I can. Then the week after that we're away skiing.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks...my running club are planning on a trip to do Amsterdam for these events...if our chairman ever gets on and books it image

Presume the races are ultra flat being Holland!

Not sure whether the half is the best option or the shorter race, can't remember if it's an 8k or a 12k?

Have done a few football tournaments in Amsterdam before, with a 3am start and then playing at 10am on the same day, but not sure how it'd transfer to running in another country...

Football is easier as it's intense in small bursts, rather than the constant but prolonged experience of running.

• Hi folks

not been on here for a while. Tbh -it does not look likely for me. My chest has not been good (COPD) and runs are being missed. I have coasters too. Not saying it is totally out but is not promising.

• Morning Peeps

Hoose, sorry to hear that, you could always come out in a supprt capacity.... image

Stevie, welcome. The biggest gradient is the up and over on a canal bridge!! image

H, you really seem to be having  carp time at the moment.... sending healing vibes....

My 9 became 7, bumped into Sis in law and sproglets while out in the woods. They came back to mine for coffee, seemed rude not to go back too..... I did run back, I refused the lift in the car!!!

Higs, skiing again, good on you. Enjoy the cross training. 

• Also, trying to think of a name for a new ladeez running group if any one has any ideas......  sensible or otherwise!! LOL
  • Thanks for the warm wishes TB, must have worked as I'm back running this week. 5k monday and 8k tuesday which both felt fine, but then the 10k today just wiped me out completely. So much so that I felt the need for sugar and have just purchased some New York Fudge Ice Cream to help with the recovery image

Otherwise am also thinking of Athens Marathon following Ams in Nov.

How's the ankle Higs? Mrs H is here this week or next? If this week she picked a great week to be over. It's been glorious! Who's got the kids?

Stevie G welcome! Yes, the race is pretty much as flat as it can be, bar the tiny hill at 38k (which feels like a mountain image)

HG - There's still time image
  • Pleased to hear that H, long may it continue!

Mmmmmm New York Fudge sounds good.... I like Phish food...... serious calorie overload!

First day od "summertime" today, its drizzly here....!! LOL

Decided to call the running group Running Buddies.

• Hi all, seriously considering this - I read a few comments on the official site about lack of drinks near the end and cups being used - was it all OK last year?   

• Welcome Digger,

H is the best person to ask, she is our resident expert!!  image

• Don't recall any issue with drink problems last year. Think it's cups as oppose to bottles but I didn't have an issue. That said near the end of a marathon I'd drink cat pee from an old shoe if that's what I was given... no class at all image Sign up anyway Digger!

Getting back into the swing of things after my sickness. 10k today felt good.
  • LOL @ Cat pee.......Needs must and all that!

Glad things are improving H, will keep everything crossed for you.

Higs how was the skiing, I mean cross training?

• Didn't need much persuading, signed up today for my yearly marathon.
  • Well done Digger!

Beautiful sunny day here yesterday, today cloudy, but at least no rain! 

Hope everyone is well, injuries at bay etc etc . Just done a ploddy 3 miles, hopefully get out again later!

• Nice one Digger image  No running for me today.  My one day off this week although spent most of the day so far gardening (despite the fact I only have a tiny patio!!)
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Skiing was going fine 'til one of the kids broke her leg image

I don't know how if it did actually work as cross-training - I went out for a random off-road run yesterday and didn't feel good. I seem to be on a plateau and struggling to get faster or go further. Chances of doing the full mara in Amsterdam are currently 49%. I'm not going to bother with all the hassle of an overseas race unless I'm confident of hitting my (sub4) target.

One (slightly strange) positive though is that I'm going to be working in Sweden for something like 5 of the next 6 weeks which I've found before actually helps my running - I run more regularly when I'm over there than when I'm at home. So who knows, maybe it'll be the kick I need?

• Hi all, have just entered the marathon so looking forward to joining in the banter going forward.

A couple of questions for H and other veterans of this race, if I may

When do you have to pick up your running number, what time is the expo open till on the Saturday evening or is it possible to pick it up early on Sunday morning?

Also my 7 yr old is keen to do the 1 mile run, do you need to enter before the day or do they accept entries on the day?

Cheers

Murph 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Just signed up for the half - am off marathons for a while after a recent diaster but think this might swing me back into some distance running (while OH does the full of course) image
  • Oooohhhh, an Amsterdam thread!!!! image

Hi peeps!!! I'm just wondering whether to go for this, as I didn't get a ballot place for VLM this year, and it's tempting as I live in Holland. Problem is, I've just got back into my running again, I'm as slow as a snail, and going to base train for a few months to get my endurance/stamina up. Hmmm, never entered any races, but think i'ts about time I just got my finger out, and entered.

Would be great to meet other forumites!

Anyone know when the deadline for entries is please? Dank je wel! image