Sub-39 at the Stubbington 10k

Welcome one and all.

Having managed my goal of sub-40 minutes at Eastleigh... I want to do sub-39 at Stubbington in January...

I hope some of my old regulars will be joining me.

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Well done Squall, Best of luck with your new venture
  • I'll give sub-38 a go then...

Stubbington is on the South Coast, near Portsmouth.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

how's your pb since we last spoke Squall?

I'm down to 37:18 on some non flat courses..so must be upto a sub 37 on flat course.

Finally got a garmin and have realised i've slightly over estimated some of my routes, probably 4-5miles a week less tghan the 50+ I was claiming...so not too much...but from here on in...10% accuracy!

What additions are you making to the training then? or just looking for consistency to bring it down, which it will definitely do to a point...a point I haven't reached yet I hope!

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Hey Paul/Squall! Well done again on yesterday mate. It was crazy how you, Scott and myself somehow managed to bump into each other at the start considering how many people were there!

Sub-39? Now that's a challenge but a good one to work for! After yesterday, I am more confident than ever that I will get sub-40 at some point soon. My time at the 10k mark in yesterday's Great South Run was 41"18 and felt pretty comfortable by that point and was pleased as this is close to my 10k pb! image

I may have to take in some proper training advice from the forum/Runners World training guides, and of others, etc in order to achieve a sub-40 as well as motivation from this thread and others! It's funny, with playing roller-hockey as a team sport, you can hide within a team performance overall if you don't play well....but there is no hiding place in running if you don't do the training! I want the challenge of getting a PB/sub-40 by the time of the Stubbington 10k mind....so I say, bring it on! image

• I was on course for about 1:06:20 at GSR.... the 25-30mph winds along the final 2 mile stretch did me in completely. I'm not making excuses, but I genuinely believe I had the fitness to go sub-67 on sunday and it just didn't happen.

I think my problem has been in not doing enough long runs and not enough lengthier tempo runs (40-50 minutes). I have speed on its own... and I have endurance on it's own... but it's my fast endurance that's a bit lacking... that's why 10 miles always gets me. I would certainly like to get 300-340 miles in before Christmas... and I think I need to commit to a weekly long run of 8-12 miles without fail. I only did one proper long run in the run-up to GSR.

Any suggestions on weekly sessions etc, joker?
  • I did a 8 x 1000m at 5k pace a week or two ago... that kinda thing?

I think threshold sessions will definitely help.
  • What are your feelings on rest days as well?
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

To be fair Jokerman, there wasn't any part of the course on Sunday where the wind was behind us largely because of the built up nature of the surroundings for much of the course. The seafront at the end was the only place where the wind had any sort of impact. I know that I slowed down at a rate of about 20 seconds per km close to the end. I am pretty sure everyone would have been effected in a similar sort of way.

Club night tonight. Hoping to do some speed work.

• I might bin the rest days in future... and just do easy running instead.
  • I know the long runs should be easy, but i still run them at an uncomfortable pace, imho i cant see the point in running 12 miles easy when i can run 12 miles a bit harder, it will then improve your speed endurance over time, im no expert, i know, but its worked for me along with the club runs where i will always latch onto the quick guys and stay with them a bit longer each week.

Ive got down to 37.01 for 10k, with the above, and speed sessions of course. Using quicker club runners as your pace setters now and again varies the training and will give you as it did me a bit of  competition with yourself.

• What weekly mileage are you doing?
  • its around 25 give or take a couple of miles, the last half marathon at the end of september i was around 35, with the long run around 12 miles.

Well done on your pb aswell, but dont rest there you will go quicker, its taken a year to find 3 mins for me but ive enjoyed every minute of it, when you set another pb you will want to beat that, and the goal posts will keep moving, because thats the fun of of it, competing with yourself.

• I could do with more long runs... for sure.
  • Hey folks, mind if I gatecrash this thread?! Looks like there's some great advice (and motivation) going here!

I went sub 40 for the first time last December (39:04) but haven't done another 10K since. After a summer of fell racing and then some focused training for a 10mile trail race a few weeks ago where I ran 66mins I was getting myself all geared up for a crack at sub 38 at the same 10K again in December.

Until that is about 10days ago when I tripped at the end of a long run, I guess my legs were just tired and I didn't see a tree root under the leaves but the long and the short of it is that I was initially told at the hospital that I'd broken my big toe and that I'd be out for 6-8weeks! Thankfully though when I went to Orthopaedics the next day they told me it wasn't broken and that I'd be able to run again much sooner...phew! Well I've been cross training this week and hope to ease myself back into running again by the weekend, fingers crossed. Which would mean I'll hopefully get 5 weeks or so good training in before the 10K, so not sure whether sub 38 will be possible or not but I'm going to give it a good try!

• Dont get so hung up on mileage, yes it is important but its very possible to improve on minimal amounts.

Just make sure you get the 3 main sessions in during your weekly schedule. Interval (ideally 2 of these) Tempo run and Long run.

You could probably run 40 miles a week with just everything being easy pace, but i reckon its more beneficial to do 30 miles with all these sessions in. You'll certainly feel more knackered out from it, at least if you do them right.

And rest days are important. After my recent Friday night tempo runs, I definitely felt like I needed a rest day on the Saturday. I'd rather feel like this than do 2 easy consecutive days.

Im certain to be a regular on this thread, as im entered in the Stubbington 10k aswell. Not sure what my target is going to be though.

• McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

Squall, I've noticed that your target times are not too different from my own. I have been doing 30ish miles a week over 5 runs with roughly every 3rd week being 25 miles and generally 4 runs. My long runs tend to be between 10-12 miles, nearer 10 lately and 8-9miles in the smaller weeks.

I've been doing this since about April but have been doing at least 4 runs a week for about 2 years and had a period starting about this time last year and for about 4-5 months when I was doing up to 7 runs a week and covering 40+ miles but found I was getting a few more aches which weren't decreasing with time. So I went back to 5 runs.

Since then I've generally felt less achey and so fresher and better motivated but all my times have improved and have more recently started to make sure I'm averaging 1 run a week which invloves some definite hard work in it. That ranges from conquering a particularly tough hill to various low key but hard interval type runs. The rest of the time it's just a case of slow miles.

I find it difficult to look at some of the structured runs on here with all that 1k @ 53 seconds, 0.77miles at 10k pace, 1k at 10 seconds above your goal race pace stuff. I say run as you feel and make sure you do something effort based every week. 

In summary my advice is knock out a regular mileage week by week, month by month, don't be afraid to rest once or twice a week and add in 1 or 2 helpings of hard work.

At the start I said my race target times aren't too far off yours so this may well be the pappest advice ever and in a years time I may still be doing the same times I'm doing now whilst you may well be asking for advice on a sub36 10k.

• No it sounds like reasonable advice to me and everyone has their own experience and style. Most people find that some things work for them and some don't... it's all about finding what training works best for you without getting injured.

Back in February/March I ran a few weeks consistently at 45mpw.... sometimes across as many as 11-12 sessions in a week. That didn't break me down and I think it was what put me in very good shape for my sub-40 at Eastleigh.

I can do speedwork... but I find that incorporating it into a week of 30+ miles tends to leave me a bit drained and a bit sore. The difference was, back in February March I ran all my miles at 8:30 pace and never had any problems.

My highest mileage week ever was the week before Eastleigh Race week...

mon: 4.1 miles am, 6.25 miles pm
    tue: off
    wed: 4 miles am, 4 miles pm
    thu: 5 miles
    fri: 5 miles
    sat: 16 miles
    sun: 6.25 miles

I then had a very light 6 days in the run up to the race...
  • The speedwork is important, maybe using thursday as the speed session having saturday off then doing the long run sunday, which will give 2 rest days.

I have read a few time now, that the miles arn't important its the quality of the sessions you are doing, and that was from someone who did a 34 min 10k .

• Anyone know anythign about achilles tendonitis?
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Something I had this time last year, before having a knee problem up until January. You don't have any problems then do you Paul?

Managed to do some speed work last night.

1 mile warm up followed by 3 hard miles (with a 2 minutes walking inbetween) and one mile warm down. Did these in 6"15, 6"22 and 6"09.

I have roller-hockey training tonight and aim to do a steady 7 miles tomorrow night.

• How many days do you guys have off before a race, out of interest. I have 2, but i think that may be too much.
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Interesting you mention that Tinka, as I did a relaxed 3 mile run on Friday in the lead up to the Great South Run on Sunday...but was debating beforehand whether this was needed or not having also done 4 easy miles on Thursday. My legs felt quite heavy even after this though.

Again, id guess it probably depends on what works for you. I have another 10 mile race this Sunday (more likely than not to enter it). So I may decide to take two rest days off this time. I am still trying to work out myself as to what works best for me there.  

• I still tend to run most days in the week leading up to a race but ease off both in terms of miles and intensity, sometimes just throwing a few strides in to keep the leg turnover up and I always have the day before the race itself off. Hate tapering but it is a must.
  • Hi squall!

I was on your Eastleigh thread. I got my sub 50 that day so might go for 48/49 at Stubbington. Take it you're a fellow HRRL runner?