Ultra Race 40

Comments

• head torches and the train are best option for sure! Be crazy to do it any other way. London midland line is one of busiest in country so trains are ten a penny... Or u just turn round and run straight back to northampton image
    Thats an impressive list of races matt!
  • Thanks Stuart. Although to be honest i'm taking them all pretty easy with the exception of the 100 miler which I will be treating as a race. The others are just time on my feet and clocking up the miles. Agree with the head torch. Very unlikely that i'll finish in day light.
  • Hellen

I've checked out the train times and they are pretty regular although we will need to change in MK. It's only £14.10. I'll go for that option.

Is anyone else catching the train back?

• matt - i'm taking a similar approach with this. this will be slow and steady for me! if i can maintain a 11-12min/m pace then I will be happy... so tempted esp on canal path just to blast along!
  • That pace would be ideal for me. If we meet at the start we might be able to keep each other in check. The first twenty miles are going to be tough to try and hold back whilst our legs are still fresh.

• Hi Matt, just taken a quick look on here and note you haven't received our email updates... what is your email address or (email Jen at jen@rorycoleman.co.uk) and she will make sure you receive all future updates.

Apologies mate,

Rorz.

Rory Coleman™

International & Celebrity Performance Coach

998 Marathons, 244 ULTRA-marathons, 9 Guinness World Records, 14 Marathon des Sables & 23 Years' Alcohol Free

My 1,000th Marathon will be at The Robin Hood Marathon on 24th September 2017

• yep thats always the temptation! Pacing it right from the very start is key (just like anyother race). Well as there are not so many on the start list finding each other should be quite straight forward (he says)

david bush - u gonna join us too?
  • Matt & Stuart, count me in ! 11-12 mpm is about where I have been on my 30-35 milers.
  • wow thats too fast for us david! mpm - miles per minute!!??  image or is that minute per mile image

game on...

• Would really quite like to do both days of this; at the mo I'm just confusing myself with transport and accomodation. Normally I drive everywhere..hmmm need to consider logistics haha

• i think the logistics are that u run 45m in one direction and then turn around a run back! image

Looking forward to this one! I bet we get a foot of snow the morning before image
  • Haha yeeeaah, I think I have that one figured out image

I'm just mega disorganised etc; about getting to places; staying at places. I did the Brecon 45 t'other week & what a fun journey that was - I got lost, with sat nav & also pulled over by the police & breathalised...still, it all came togeather. Well, I think I shall be entering this anyway image

• was brecon fun? Good hill training! I wanted to do that one but filled up fast.
  • Brecon was really fun image although the weather did turn quite bad later on & some of the path ways had turned into mini-rivers...but I would definitely recommend it; I will be back image
  • Bit quiet on here.  Was hoping for a decent B2B run this weekend but couldnt run yesterday, was too slippy, turned back after less then half a mile

Is anyone stopping overnight on friday who wants to share a room

There is a special rate of £65 for two including breaky and which can be cancelled up to the day before.

Alternatively you can get a room for one with no breaky and have to pay now for £42, this needs to be booked by the end of the year and is the rate you get if you book on the website.

• I'm driving down in the morning now. Then catching the train back to Northampton after the race. My training isn't going great at the minute.

I scheduled myself for a 25 miler yesterday but managed 15 after nearly breaking my neck on the ice. I'll do 25 miles next weekend and then a 30 miler the following one as my last long run before I taper.

I'm convinced we're going to get a foot of snow the night before the race. Or a heavy frost to make that churned up mud rock hard. This is going to be an interesting race.

• Matt, you did better than me.  I had originally wanted to do 15/20 this weekend.

Got a cold on Thursday so wasnt sure what I would do.  Did 12.5 sat, could have done 15 but it got dark, I dont mind dark but there was a lot of black ice around so didnt want to risk it.  Set off yesterday for my 20 miler but it was horrid out so turned around.

Next weekend I am doing the sunrise to sunset challenge, hoping to do in the 30s, will then try 15/20 or even 20/20 the following weekend and another B2B the weekend after.  was only planning on a short taper but I have no idea really!!

• 3rd of Jan will be last long run before I taper and it can't come soon enough. I'm fed up of this weather. Are you doing both days? I'm not pushing it too much for this and am getting by with the bare minimum of training. I've hardly done any back to back running. Of any distance anyway.

I'll just be happy to get through this one without too much discomfort. It's all about time on my feet for meso speed isn't really important. Aiming for around 10-12 min miles.

• How's everyones training going? Mine has been shocking the last couple of weeks. Managed a 25 miler this morning to get me back on track. 30 miler on Sunday then the taper. Just hope the weather holds.
  • this one is looking more and more unlikely as the days past... i've been off for 2 weeks since I aggravated an ankle strain. will start running again this week but since this is only 3 weeks or so away it might be too much too soon. my base is good and fitness wise I could probably finish it slowly but the risk of further aggravating my ankle is too great.

anybody know if refunds are given?
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭

can anyone clarify as the thread says ultrarace 40 but the entry ultrarace 45

i am tempted and would like to do a forty miler but 45 miles is just too much

• I'm thinking about this one too but it will depend on if I can get a 20/26 (Stansted Stagger) B2B in this weekend.  I'm praying that we don't get snow back again, otherwise the running will be scuppered.  however, if i do manage to get a B2B in and it goes ok, i'll send off my entry for this.  I emailed Rory Coleman yesterday as I wasn't sure if the canal bank would be lit. he confirmed that it wouldn't so I'll do my runs this weekend wearing a headtorch (i haven't had the chance to use one yet).

It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but how far is the train station from the start (and finish?)

• Stuart,

I'm not exactly on top form and will be taking it easy. I have a few niggles here and there.

Mordo,

It's 45 miles.Originally it was 40 but to keep it all off road they added an extra 5. There's plenty of people running this one that didn't want to 45 miles so you wont be alone if you entered.

Aud,

Hope it goes well for you at the weekend. If you do enter are you doing both days? If your not able to do the back to back this weekend you could always enter the one day.  From what I can gather the train station is walking distance from the start. I'm coming from Leicester if you need a lift to the start. I'm only doing the Saturday though. Then catching the train back from Tring station which is also walking distance (apparently).

• Hello Aud, are you MM on fetch?!!! thought you wernt going to do this, I hope you do!!

I am not sure if it starts from the hotel or the station as in running fitness it says train station!!  I think the hotel is about a mile from the train station, I am planning on stopping friday night at the hotel, not quite booked it!!

After this horrid weather I started getting worried again.  If it is really hard underfoot I do not have a problem stopping at the penultimate checkpoint and doing about 36 miles ( I was told there are CP s every 9 miles)

• thanks Matt I'm only thinking of the Saturday too.  Still looking at trains and times to suit.  Seems as though the forecasted snow might not appear down here (probably spoken too soon image ) which will hopefully mean the B2B runs will go ahead this weekend.
  • hi Hellen, yes it's me imageimage

i haven't entered this yet as am waiting to see how the two long runs go this weekend. i'd like to complete the whole thing but will have to go by how energy sapping the terrain is on the day.

• I thought you couldn't do it due to daughter issues, are they sorted now?

You mean u would fo both days?
  • sorry, crossed wires Hellen.  I want to do the whole distance on the Saturday!!!!

When I first heard about this I didn't realise it was a 2 day event and my childcare problem is on the sunday.  however, imagine my delight when i discovered that i could do the saturday!!! 

• ahh right, it all makes sense now!

Go on, enter, worse case scenario is that you have to stop at an earlier checkpoint and is that really that bad?

• Aud,

What sort of pace would you be looking to run at?