Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Fffran,

Got within 20 Metres of you when we were all bunching up at the beginning for the first 3 miles but not near enough to say hello. Still waiting for my chip time but I was around 4:30. Manged to go without stopping for a walk but I was 8 minutes slower for the final 1/4 and I had to push for the sub 4:30 - Would have been easy if it was not for the loo stop at 20 mile but happy to finish without a walk and still have enough to push at the end.

• 4:30:06 - Must control that bladder of mine -Have to get some of that stuff for old gits to stop em peeing!!!image
  • Oh so sorry not to have met you Jim! Well done on your time. Sounds like your race went to plan- cant avoid call of nature!
    In pub and vowing not to have another as I can't stand the thought of a hangover tomorrow.
  • Please forgive me for being smug- but just looked at chip time (2 seconds quicker - it all counts) and my splits were almost identical so taking into account my poorly mile I sprinted( I use the word figuratively) the last 2. I also came 47th in my category( means I'm old) Everyone in my gang is fast asleep -exhausted following the race around Dublin, and although I'm shattered, am still buzzing. May be due to the champagne cocktails ! Am I going to regret this tomorrow?
    PS have come up with idea of packing a marmite sandwich and/ or cashews for next marathon- what do you think?
  • Congrats all. I ve been celebrating too much,. I'll report tomorrow. 

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    I'm such a lightweight - 2 pints of Guiness and that was me done - tasted great though! Hope no one is suffering too much today!! What's everyones plans for next race/races?? I'm thinking of a spring marathon but don't know where yet - might have left it too late.
  • No hangover and ravenous- result!!!
  • Back in the office today after a delayed flight back to London last night, though I was so tired I didn't really mind.

Really enjoyed the race, though it was a bit hillier than I remembered.  I got a PB of 3:44 - knocking 8 minutes of my previous PB at last years.  Think I managed to keep a fairly sustained pace once I got going, although there were a few points in the first mile where I had to stop dead because of bunching at corners.  Other than that flawless organisation IMO.  Good expo, great goodie bag - although it was wasted on me who doesnt eat chocolate - still my OH enjoyed 2 packs of jaffa cakes, cereal bars and swiss chocolate! 

I followed last years plan of spicy food the night before (a great Thai place called SABA), wearing odd shoes, drinking sports drinks I had never used before, running on empty, wearing an IPOD and not switching it on and entirely relying on the crowd to fuel me with sweets!  Worked a treat though image

We had a great anniversary weekend too, kilmainham gaol, temple bar, trinity, book of kells - culture packed, the marathonw as the perfect end.  My OH didn't get his sub: 3 but he got a 3:07 which is still 20 minutes better than his PB, I think he realises it was a bit over ambitious.

Anyway it'll be Ultra marathons for me now until Spring.  Thinking about Hamburg, we checked it out at the expo - in total 40m of elevation, so quick and looks beautiful - plus entries are only just open.

Looked out for anyone that looked like their photos!  Was looking for a welsh top but couldnt see you Fran.

Enjoy all the recovering and everyones deserved smugness, a bit of a success for everyone - no??

Cant wait for next year!

Katie x

• Hi all,

Back home now.  Well done ffRAN, great pb - not sure about marmite sandwiches, if they work for you then great but personally - yuk!!

Well done Jim and Tangle.  That's a massive jump in time Jeremy, great stuff.

Congrats on your pb Katie, glad you had a good weekend and good luck with your ultras.

Milos, sorry, I don't think I spotted you, but I was in my own little world towards the end.  I was in a red and black Man Tri Club vest if you spotted me.

Next up for me is the Newcastle Town Moor marathon next month. 

• Ffran,

I was talking to a lady prior to the start who comes over for the Dublin Marathon every year and loves it. She was  in the London Marathon this year and said she was really dissapointed and it does not compare to Dublin. Anyway you will have to try it to find out for yourself.

Jim

• Ffran re: marmite sandwiches, will they not get a bit squashed?  And would you not then get very dehydrated?  Nuts sounds more reasonable, at the ultras a lot of runners use trail mix.  Boiled potatoes (with some salt) are also pretty easy to digest and eat on the go.

Although i appreciate the marmite thing.  When I finished I was almost sickened by the sight of yet more sweet stuff in the finishers bag so I took it all out and left it there!  Hope it went to a good home.  I practically wept with joy as I wolfed down boiled eggs and vegemite on toast at a cafe near my hotel - perfect post race nutrition IMO!!

• Oh and you know you can buy marmite flavoured cashews???!
  • Congrats to everyone!

I finished in 4:42 (first marathon) and ran all the way so really chuffed! Loved Dublin too, a great weekend all round!

• WD finishers.

3.28.22 here.  Much preferred Dublin to London - conditions perfect to boot.

Had 10 pts of guinness after finishing and with a 5am wake up to return back to london i wasnt feeling the best this morning.  2 pints at lunch time have helped ease the pain!

• Such brilliant times. Each and everyone of you, well done
    How great was that run?
    Jim- Im doing London next Apr for the 3rd time and it is wonderful, the atmosphere is just more of party. I know the good runners race it but everyone else seems to just fun run.
    Do you know what- I feel so fresh today - NO aches at all, I feel I may be tempted to take my mate's spare bib for Snowdon this Saturday. Stupid or what?
    Will discuss with husband when I get home.
    Could try out the marmite cashews, Katie
  • Videos are on the website now at the side of your results at http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php
  • K.P. you most likely have seen my brother who is very likely to be the only Ipswich town supporter in the man tri club.

We finished the run with a chip time of 4:29:40 not bad only 20 seconds away from target but at least was the quicker side of the target.

• 4.28.31 for me had a great couple of day's in the Melpas hotel lots of Smithwicks and for me its much more fun than London.

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Romford slim I think one day I may match your time but the 10 pints of Guinness no way! Seems the condititions were just great as everyone achieved their goals or better. I think we everyone deserves a pat on the back and a huge well done.
  • those videos are brilliant

i finished on 3 57 (3 59 on official clock)

quite a few of us around that time.

my hotel was in 24 1/2 miles, so went back, had some food, showered, changed etc and went down offering my support to all passing proudly showing my medal

awesome event, left hotel at 8 45 for the 9 00 start. cant do that at London!
  • I still can't walk downstairs cos my legs are so sore!
    Thought the atmosphere was great, I met some lovely runners on the course and around the city. My heros are the guys who did the 3.45 pacing group, it was so helpful having them there, I think I would've really flagged without them. As it was my first (and maybe last) marathon I wasn't sure what to expect, so not being blue lighted off the course was major bonus.
    Got a sub 3.45 (just)
  • Velloo - that's an amazing time for a first marathon. Well done you are a star! You can't not do more with this talent.
    Jimmy M. You weren't at the Grand Canal, were you. That was at 24/25 too. If so, we were the rowdy group of 4 - my sister + 2 daughters were with me. I'd recommend that one for position too. It was a pleasant walk to the RDS and a short walk to and from the start and finish. Lovely view of Landsdowne Rd also!
  • Hi everyone.

This is my first post here even though I have read some of these messages in the build-up to Dublin.

Finished Dublin in 03:33:45. It was my first marathon. I was so impressed by all of the support the whole way around that really kept me going. Found it ok until 23 miles and then the last 3 miles or so felt like they were going to last forever. Just missed out on sub 3:30 but I'm not disappointed at all, I did the best I could. Well done to everyone here and I hope your legs aren't as sore as mine. Any stairs are absolute agony.

Edinburgh will be next for me I think!
  • Well done Thomas - brilliant first time!
  • ffran, yep that was the one!

I didn't notice many people there, my girlfriend is a dubliner so was constantly picking me up taking me to places (being a good catholic girl she had to stay at her parents house at night!)

I will probably stay there next year, it wasnt very expensive either.
    the avviva is the weirdest looking sports ground i have seen

• By the way though the Medal was good and the LS Top
  • Hey Jimmy, snap on the 3:57!

You must have finished close to me then. I was the guy in the red top and white compression socks to match the colour of my  face ! Trying not to puke over everybody.

• did you have the welsh flag around you?
  • No mate, I'm Irish,  I seen that guy he was just ahead of me.
  • Something really strange happened, there was a guy with the same full name as me running. It is not a very common name. He finished one place ahead of me, a matter of seconds. How freaky eh!?