Options

Dublin Marathon 2010

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options

FFran only popped in to say well done to everyone before, but me being leprechaun, suppose i am easy to miss.

if anyone is thinking about running in the rotterdam marathon, then i would reconmend it.

as its a fast marathon, a nice city but not as nice as dublin.

PS

i ment in my above post

i am now the fastest runner to run a marathon dressed as a leprechaun.

• Options
    what was the temperature at the start? was surprised to see frost when we hit the park,
  • Options

Mr Guinness - your luck obviously rubbed off on us all - thank you for that and brilliant time for anyone let alone a wee leprechaun.

HuntPuntandSki - official temperature = blooming knobbling! (That's a BBC meteorological term)  

• Options
    Sarah & ffRAN, sorry to hear about your blisters & black toenails. Fortunately I've never had problems with those though. I do spend a small fortune on plasters though as I tape all my toes up to stop them rubbing. All your marathon options sound great, ffRAN. I've heard Rotterdam is very fast too. Budapest is a beautiful city, although I've never done the marathon. Berlin is also on my to do list but don't think it'll be next year. I started off doing 2 a year as well, but then I got really addicted!

Jim, I did Barcelona in 2006. It was a good race but a very hot day. A lot of the route was by the sea, and it did take in the Sagrada Familia, Nou Camp and part of Las Ramblas. I was hopeful of some sea breeze but on the day there wasn't any! I'm not sure what time the expo was open at on the Saturday I registered on the Friday evening. I think it was fairly late though as I didn't get there until late afternoon & there were a lot of locals who had obviously just finished work. The expo/start & finish areas were right next to a metro station so it was really easy to get too. I think there was a hotel right next to it as well, but I can't remember what it was called so sorry not much use there. It was a well organised race and had a good atmosphere. Good luck if you go for it.
  • Options

KP - no problems this year at all except my nail varnish came off with my plasters - wanted to go to St John's Ambulance but they didn't have my shade.

• Options

The Barcelona Expo is open till 19.30 and the flight is due in at 17.20 so I should make it and at €50 for a flight from Dublin it sounds too good to miss + I have two apartments on the coast near Perpignan so I could have a couple of days there afterwards and chill out + my wife is interested in this run (not running) as it is in Barcelona and she can do a marathon shopimage.

Just been out for my first run since Dublin (5.5 miles) - No ill affects - I will try to lose a couple of stone now for Dublin next year as I am finding 100Kgs is a lot to drag around 26.2 miles when your only 5'10" and the effects of gravity are stopping me from getting a sub 4 hour run in.

• Options
    Jim - sounds like a plan - forgot about this as a possible Autumn Marathon. 
  • Options

A little late with the review,but this is one of the best organised races I`ve done. I absolutely loved this race and Dublin itself. Great expo and everything was reasonably priced there. Great goody bag at the start and at the finish,haven`t done a race before where you get one at both ends. Stunning course taking in the park, burbs and city centre.

Freezing cold start , colder than the start of the Bradford Half,the weekend before,started to warm up after a mile or two though. Perfect weather window for the race.

Smashed my Edinburgh time earlier in the year,which was my first mara.,beat it by 25 mins with just over 3.15, 50 secs out of auto qualifier for London.Can`t grumble,was only trying to get under 3.30,but was feeling so good at halfway,I started to speed up and managed a quicker second half even with two short toilet stops,one at mile 13 .Towed a bit in the last 2 mile though,started to get twinges of cramp in right leg which were throwing me out of sync.But wasn`t going to stop me now,especially with the crowd cheering everyone on in the last half mile,like the tour de france,they were that close to you.

Many,many thanks to everyone making this thee most memorable race so far,in my 18 month race life.Hopefully be back next year.

• Options
    That's it booked flights to Barcelona for March 5th.  Will  c u in Dublin in October 2011!!!image
  • Options
    Well that's decisive Jim - well done. Just been looking at booking a London hotel - I usually stay with my daughter in Ashford, travel up the night before and stay with a family on blackheath, courtesy of a fund raiser, organised by a local school. May revert to usual plan as a lot of the better, more convenient hotels are booked already. 
  • Options
    I picked up or was given a leaflet at the expo that had a discount code for the photos - specifically the cd but have lost it - anyone else have it?