First dark run of the season

2»

Comments

• Winter running is the best; the temp and the light is better. But I'm not fond of the dark as I run off road and like to take in my surroundings. I would like to try it though with my head-torch.

Any outdoor run is however preferable to a dreadmill run, with the exception of ice.

• Running in the dark adds a different dimension.

Its seems like I'm running faster,   Does anyone else find that?

The only problem is, you can't see the dog shit.

• This mornings run was the 1st frosty run in the dark of the autumn, Not a crispy fresh frost, just enough to make you think it was cold. image
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I am a morning runner and thanks to the clocks going back I'm running in daylight again (albeit probably not for much longer). Its so much harder to get up in the mornings when it's pitch black. The dark does make running feel more lonely and longer. It usually also means cold & wet! Mind you I'd rather do it then run on the dreadmill.

Wish they would move VLM to Sept/Oct time then we could train in the nicer spring/summer! But then I suppose there would still be races that we would have to train for in the winter!

Jokerman, if you don't like reading people moan then why read the thread?! We all will continue to run but sometimes it's nice to chat to other runners to celebrate the ups and moan about the downs.

• Choose a route which is lit and you will get the Christmas feeling soon enough as you pass houses with their Christmas trees and windows lit up !
  • I enjoy the dark - head torch on, dark wooded trail runs over the footpaths of Surrey. Did a couple of hours on Monday night. Fantastic. Guess how many people I saw on my run - none. Well almost, a couple on the way out of town and a couple on the way back in.

Oh and one more. A smoker sitting outside a country pub, he seemed quite surprised to see me running past.

Yes it is dark but I prefer that to drizzle. I quite like short runs in a complete downpour but LSR udring drizzle is worse than the dark.

Use the dark, the satisfaction of going regardless is much better - anyone can run on a nice summers evening.

• I like running in the dark I have to say, but prefer it to be saying 23:00 on my watch, not 17:00! I went on an early morning run in the spring, and it was absolutely lovely but i've just not managed since. I leave for work at 6:30 or earlier, and I cannot seem to drag myself out of bed at 5:30 to go for a run first! Need to HTFU and JFDI....oh god, just thinking I really will because of all this effing tri training I've got to fit in, arggggg.

Okay, my new mantra..."I love running in the morning, in the dark. I do, really I do "
  • I'd forgot how more boring it is to run in the dark image

When its bright I usually start of in Glasgow Green and do a few laps before heading either east or west, but when its dark its too poorly lit to leave the Green so I end up just doing lap after lap after lap...it get tiresome. I tend to try and use my mornings and days off to run outside and go to the gym more at night for speedwork on the treadmill.

Can't wait for March...

• Jeez there are some miserable feckers on here.
    What's with all this I need the light to keep me motivated shite

This morning it was fan bloody tastic, cold, foggy and quiet. Shame I can't actually run (calf) but I was still out there enjoying the morning,doing exercise and stretching.

• image  are they for those that are afraid of the dark D2D?
  • I kinda like dark running after havin done by first of this year last night. I look a right muppet in my flouros and lights - got some right funny looks from normally dressed people when running through the lit town en-route. Dark roads make me run faster, probs out of fear of being run over by the crazy north London drivers still on M25 mode. Nice to read others have the same probs.

• Gazmanmeister wrote (see)
    image  are they for those that are afraid of the dark D2D?
    I reckon they are more for those who live in rural areas (i.e. me) where there is no street lighting, and who don't want to risk turning an ankle over on one of the many, many pot holes!
  • Starting the winter series of Bat Runs on Thursday - a bunch of us running off-road for perhaps 75 minutes with head torches and then back to the pub for a beer or several.... great!