Sleaford Half-Marathon

Comments

• hi one man

and welcome to the gang image

• Well thank you Angie!

ran a slow 1.51 brass monkey yesterday and planning to do a couple of more halfs including this one in prep for VLM in late April
  • i dream of 1.51 image

my pb is 2.02 and that was on a flat course

i didnt get in VLM so im doing edinburgh and lochness

other halfs im doing are east retford, white horse, sheffield, cirencester park and also doing kilomathon in march

• Scooter, dont worry bout the hill mate, no where near as bad as the hill in Humber Half, nor is it as bad as the bridge itself on the return bit. Youll see the hill earlier as you run down it not long after the start. I think the hardest bit is the long drag from bout mile 7 i think, it goes on for bout 3 miles but then its all downhill till you get to the short climb and then its flat as you hit the airfield again. M e and a few mates will be there, its a fab race, we love it. I'll be doing the same as last year and just using it as a training run as ive a big half the following week. I'll start at the back and try to work my way forward gradually. The sleaford lot are excellent at organising its well worth the trip.

• hello,many years ago used to be a bit of a runner!county champion,south west of England champion!that was 1971, was 13yrs old.had a few come backs.since, the years roll on!  so here  I am 50yrs old,and thinking what might have been,so here I am 51  12 mouths into my comeback mode moved here to Brixham,Devon last july, .very  hilly!  heels have'nt touched the ground in the last six months!!!! so thought id have a go at my first half marathon!!and yours sounded so lovely and ive got relations in the arear !, look forward to seeing you all there on the day,paul x

• Although I'm just doing the funrun I'll try, like last year, to be at the top of the last short but sharp hill to cheer everyone on.  Once you're up the hill you're into the last mile and it's nearly all over :0)
  • i'll try and look out for you cheering fiona image

although by then my mind is all over the place and thinking get me to the end imageimage

• This is my 4th of 5th event organised by Sleaford Striders.Its very interesting route and don't get put off with hills.Its only a deep with Mud ?
  • are there likely to be entries on the day allowed. Tempted but not sure how long it takes to get to Sleaford from Sheff. It`s either this or Newton`s Fraction . . .

• hi all

got my number today, im 16 which will probably be my position from the back imageimage

looking forward to getting back into the racing mode been a few months since my last one

see you all there

• Still waiting for my number, running Liversage Half this sunday so hopefully will be ok for the Sleaford.
  • Egyptian Toe,

There is entries allowed on day. Sheffield is just over the hour. Cranwell is 15 mins from A1 following the A17.

• Hi Guys,

All numbers are out, just hit the 460 mark which is great and looks like the best half we ve ever had. We are still taking entries on day up to 650.

Titch

• Just got my number over the weekend, looking forward to a different race. I am using this one as a training run for London, which will be my 6th marathon. Edinburgh marathon was a great experience for anybody doing that one.

I've also entered Ashby 20, and Humber half which I remember well due to the lack of hill training and Nottingham marathon later in the year. In November I'm down for Hellrunner with some class participants so really looking forward to a hard slog through the mud with that one.

I'm currently training to be a Sports Therapist so fitting it all in is tricky but to be honest loving the running as a way of coping.  Was trying to find out a little more about the Sleaford route, will aim for a sub 2 again but whatever not sure what to expect with this one.

Good luck guys.

Jane

• Hi all,

got my number the other day.  Shocked me that it was only a number and nothing else but hey ho! 

Panicking now that I've not done as much training as I should have done with the bad weather and a cold on top but will see what is going on next week!    The runs that I've managed to do I've had problems with feeling in my right foot, not too sure if that is just the cold or trainers too tight?  Hopefully will be okay on the day.

cheers

plodders 

• i'll see you there plodders

i know what you mean with the weather the insentive to get out the door is hard to find but i managed a 10miler ok last weekend but have got up this morning to total white out again hope it aint like this next week.

see you there

angie xx

hope your foot is ok

• FINGERCROSS NO SNOW
  • Hi Plodders,

Was intrigued to read you were expecting something else apart from number and directions. ????

• I presume this race isn't time chip thingy? Quite nice if not then it takes the pressure off slightly.

Jane

• I have just seen there is a bottle of wine for the last one across the finish...I might be in the running for this!  My first half marathon so I have no idea what to expect...apart from aching legsimage
  • hi lynne

i'll fight you for the bottle of wineimage

if you've trained ok your legs will be fine, i usually get a bit of achyness but by the afternoon im back to normal and buzzing on the thought of what i have achieved, this will be my 14th half some ive done non stop and others ive just had to powerwalk a little, and i never care where i come in the race to me its all how you feel on the day and hoping for a PB if it comes but im happy with getting round and getting my prize image

look out for me sunday i'll be the one with red spikey hair and wearing a north derbyshire vestimage

• still no number arrived yet even though i entered about 3 weeks ago - anyone in same boat?
  • Hi All

I'm new to all this. Training for VLM. This is my 1st Half. How early do we need to arrive? I'm travelling from Bedford.

Good luck to all.

PLease cheer me on & chuck water on me to cool me down.image

• Jane if you got your number already get there bout an hour before and get your bearings etc. Youll be fine but not really later than that cos the car park fills up quickly. You wont need much cooling down at the weekend, its probably gonna rain which will make the viking way interesting. Dont go off too quick at the start and just enjoy it........ but make sure your hydrated.  Good luck with the mara training.

• oneman. All numbers have now been sent. Drop me an e mail with your real name and we will sort it out.

Jane. You will be in good company. lots of people use this as their first half in the biuld up to Lomdon. marshalls and fellow runners will all cheer you on. Take advantage of the free massage at the end

• Thanks Angie

At least I'm guaranteed a PB - this being my first half !! image

• I've seen the weather for Sunday - put it like this it's going to be wet if it's correct. Thinking I may have to wear a running cap which is a first for a race for me but I can't stand the sweat in the eyes when it rains so painful.

I'm bringing a couple of running clients all of us are going onto run London, it's my first Sleaford half but have been warned about the muddly bit and the hill which isn't supposed to be as bad as Humber, well not so long.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the unknown and as I'm running Hellrunner in November which sounds frightening this should be a breeze.

Good luck everybody

Jane

• The hills not bad Jane, you run down it not long after the start. Its just in a bad place if your tired towards the finish.

Guessing we might need "bog snorkelling" gear for the off roady bit guys.