Treadmill just stops while running

Hi,

My Proform 650v treadmill works for a couple of miles before suddenly stopping.

It's not slipping, and I can hear the motor 'trying'. When I lift my weight off it starts again, but if I get back on it'll stop.

If I press the stop button then the start button, it's all fine for a little while (up to 1/2 mile) before happening again. The belt is properly centered and tensioned.

I have just replaced the running board, but the new one is properly lubricated. I used the stuff from decklube.co.uk

Any ideas? I'll be lost without my treader over the winter!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• errrm - get in touch with the suppliers????

or run outside
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    The one I use in the gym sometimes stops when my belly whacks against the big red 'Stop' button.
  • The treadmill is out of warranty, and I'm looking to repair it myself if I can.

And I don't have the belly problem image But I might if I can't fix the thing!
  • I had a similar problem with mine, although it is not the same make and model as your one. Mine turned out to be a problem with the tension between the walking belt and board. It should give you some information in the owners manual about making adjustments to it and further tests to see whether the tension problem is caused by lack of loob or because the belt is worn.?? image
  • Thanks Diggle.

I have been through the process of tensioning the belt. I went from it being ridiculously loose, turning 1/4 turn until it no longer slipped. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like a slip when it "goes".

Perhaps it is a worn belt though? Maybe there's a bit on it that's like sandpaper and when I step on it it stops the motor dead in it's tracks. The belt is about 2.5 years old and it's had a lot of use.
  • I had a similar problem with my treadmill where it starts and then suddenly stops.
    The problem with my one was the motor create a surge to the circuitboard and then it
    goes mad. Had to get an engineer out and both circuitboard and motor had to be replaced.

Sorry to say if its out of warranty, its going to be costly.
    Treadmill engineers will roughly cost £200 for a callout to look at it.
    Then there parts which the engineer will have to order and they won`t be cheap either.
    Then the engineer will return to fit the parts which could mean another charge for the
    engineer to visit.

Check with the manufacturer because certain parts have different warranty. Some are one year,
    some such as the motor can be longer. You could repair it yourself but you need to know
    what you doing.

• RL - the treadmill may be out of warranty but the supplier maybe able to suggest a solution that you can handle yourself......
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Richard Levy wrote (see)
    The treadmill is out of warranty....

Are you sure?

Consumer goods in the EU have a 2 year warranty minimum, 6 years in the UK. The burden of proof changes at 6 months though so you have to be able to show that there is a manufacturing defect.

• It's 2.5 years old.

Unfortunately, proving there is a manufacturing defect will be virtually impossible. It's been working fine for 2.49 years.

• Just bin the dreadie and get yourself out on the road!