Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of entering in for this one. When it says undulating, is it majorly undulating? I don't mind, I just wanted to be ready.

Cheers
  • Oh, and I just thought - I will probably be driving there from East London so if anyone needs a lift then do let me know.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Kingdora - its not too bad, but then its my PB course, smashed my PB twice on this course, and in my opinion is the best mara in the country, there are no hard hill on route but a few ups and downs....

So want to be there, but seeing as I only had a hernia Op on Thursday it put paid to all my mara aspirations this spring.

But may may a nice return next year..

• Hello,

Is anyone going for a sub 3? 

• hello - im new on here and was hoping for some advice.

i ran at stratford yesterday as my first marathon. all my training seemed to go fine but i really strugled from 18 and had to stop at 21. i was so upset not to finish. i am thinking about entering here as everyone is saying what a nice race it is. do you think it is a good idea as it is only 2 weeks away?

thanks everyone...

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    maelca - how do your legs feel today? I have done marathons 2 weeks apart, most will a sports massage in between them but last year my massage man was sick so I did London and then Halstead without a sports massage.
  • hi tracey - they are achey but nothing to terrible. i just keep thinking if only i could i have walked just 5 miles i would have done it. i live really near stratford so it was really good with family there etc. im just looking for accomodation in halstead. do you think i should give it a go? 
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    maelca - Well I have done it and I am a slow runner. Here is a great cross over point that your family can watch you from and the is a near by pub too for them. I did VLM last year in 5:31 and Halstead in 5:23. I suffered from the heat in both of them. I ran Halstead with the lovely Plodding Hippo, she did shout at me to keep running thou. If you are not injuried I would give it ago. I bet you are way faster than me thou.
  • thank you very much for your advice. i was  ( optomisitically) aiming for a 5h marathon so i'm with you on the speed front. it seems that finishing the thing would have ben a better objective!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    maelca - why did you not finish yesterday?
  • i began to feel quite dehydrated from about 17 miles but whenever i drank (i carry a bottle) i felt sick. there was a big down hill at about 18 and i jared my back somehow so i had a pain everytime my left foot went down. i stopped to try and stretch it out but just at the 21 marker it was all too much and i landed in a heap. it wasnt much fun but the marshalls were lovely. i think the heat effected quite a few people by looking at the posts on that forum.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

maelca - had you practice with you fueling on your long runs? I felt sick last year at London marathon and was sick after the race and felt dizzy and ended up in first aid. At Halstead felt sick again and throw up in the car coming home. I cannot mix gels with energy drinks, so at Brighton I had 8 gels and just water, thou I did burp a few times, so for too much information.

If you do Halstead it will only be water and juice, so you will have to think about taking your own drinks with you. If you get there early you can leave them at the drinks stations or with a friend or my husband at the cross over points.

• thank you thats really nice of you. i have a high 5 carbohydrate drink with me 500ml upto 12 miles then another 500ml after that. i had used gels a few times and find them a bit difficult on my tummy. i took one at 14 miles. maybe i shouldn;t have mixed energy drink and gels? so many questions. i wasn't mentally prepared not to finish which was naive i think that was by biggest downfall.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    maelca - be aware my hubby like taking photos of all the runners.
  • o dear! - thanks for your help here image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Let me know if you are going to do it.

• It is quite sad for me as i am having to travel alone, my wife normally suffers the 4 hours that i take getting round, but is on a hen weekend, and my other supporters (family) are away.

If you see a shy lonely man on his own that would be me, it would be great to meet a few of you,

• Halstead normally set an area aside for forum bods to meet up - even if they don't it won't be hard to arrange something.

My club is doing a water station so let us know your number and I'll get them to shout at you image

• Thank you, i have run with several members now over the last 4 marathons, but i rarely get to meet everyone that i should. I will confirm when i know
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Alan - I will be wearing a Dagenham 88 Runners vest.
  • Aw, this race sounds lovely. I think I'm definitely going to take part. is anyone else here looking for 4hr - 4:15?
  • RFJ - Thanks for that description, has helped a lot.
    I just hope my asthma doesn't play up for this marathon - I want to enjoy it.
    I hope you are recovering well from the op RFJ, I'll let you off for not entering it this year! image

• Alan, Ill be travelling alone too so you wont be the only one.
  • Just returned to this forum after a while. I've been busy running marathons!  I waddled round The Cotswolds. Now there's a hilly run. Halstead is as flat as a pancake by comparison.  Then there was Brighton. Halstead has never been as hot as that! I have the Great Limerick Marathon this Sunday then I can turn my attention to Halstead.  I can feel the warm weather coming. Don't worry all you guys who are new to this event or even new to a marathon. The good folks of Halstead will look after you whatever the weather and you will be so wrapped up in the emotion of it all you'll hardly notice the undulations.
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Woah, this thread is getting busy.

Kingdora - if that lift offer is still going I'd like to take you up on it otherwise I'll be trying to negotiate my way from the nearest station. I'm north London but can almost certainly find my way east. 

Halstead is genuinely undulating rather than a hilly course described as '"undulating' "so none of the uphills are too long or too hilly but they are definitely there.I'll be trying for 3:45 (or under image)but I don't perform well in heat.

maelca -  it may be you are mixing the wrong things for your stomach, mine does play up sometimes and I tend not to go for the carb drinks so much anymore. Either way this is a well organised and supported marathon so you could just go with the aim of  finishing while you've still got all that training in you. I've only done this the once but last year they provided wet sponges as well as drinks on route to keep you cool.

• Kingdora - I, too, suffer from Asthma, so I was worried about the "undulations". The first hill at the start is pretty steep, but not too long. I'll probably have to walk that one. As for the other ups-and-downs, I've never tried 26 miles "with hills" before. Nevertheless, I am hoping (optimistically) to go for 4:15.

I wear a white vest, with black and green stripe at the sides and a hare on the front - Ryston Runners.

It would be good to meet up if possible, with others from this thread.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Hello Peter.

Don't need you ask you what number you will be getting do I image

• No Tracey. Unless they change the rules, I'll have number one. But I guess that number could be up for grabs soon. Halstead 16 coming up but after that................?  I'm almost at the stage where I'll be using a calendar rather than a stopwatch! Oh that I  could turn the clock back!

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - You will be there in 2011 and 2012 image