Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

Now there's an idea Jelly Bean. Why don't the spectators gather outside the pub and, if it's a half decent day, they could have a barbecue and a few crates of ale. I know it wouldn't be everyone's choice of "water station" but a few of us , I'm sure, wouldn't say no to a few sips of beer. Halstead to become England's answer to the Medoc Marathon? 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - would drink ale make you run faster image
  • Options
    Tracey - It couldn't make me go any slower!  I ran the Maas Marathon a few years ago - Meuse if you prefer French to Flemish. That starts at Vise in Belgium, goes up one bank of the river, over the border into Holland, round Maastricht and down the other river bank back to the start point. In addition to water you can have a small glass of Belgian beer every 5 Km. You can have your number stamped to confirm that you have imbibed each time you have a drink.  I managed to hold out till the 40Km mark before succumbing to a small tipple. Belgian beer is not not to be taken lightly.  A mate of similar ability to myself, who shall remain nameless, had his number obliterated by stamps when he came over the line- 20 minutes before me!!! So I do wonder whether beer's stimulating effect can sometimes outweigh its harmfulness to the runner. I haven't yet put it to the test. But one of these days........................!
  • Options
    Guess its Adnams up there?
    Now, if it was Harveys.....
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - I could put some thing instead of water in my camelbak image
  • Options

Anyone else still waiting for their number?image

• Options

Theresa Punch

James has probably hidden your number for fear you'll finish quicker than him. Has he got his number?

• Options

Alas Pete his been away on business all week so I can't blame him.  No he's not received his number either.

See if it comes today/tomorrow if not will be contacting the Race Director.

• Options

Has anyone who ran Brighton done Halstead in the past?  If so, how would you compare the courses in terms of hills?

thanks

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    adrain - I did Halstead last year.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    It is more undulating than Brighton, but not too bad. It is a lovely race throught country lanes, some of them single track lanes.
  • Options

Thanks Tracey.

So would you say tougher, easier or about the same....?   ( I know these things are personal, just trying to get a feel for it).

The things I've read have suggested it undulates more but not quite as severely therefore may be a little easier than Brighton.

Brighton was my first marathon for 8 years (& only 4th ever) but am considering Halstead since I'm more or less trained anyway....

cheers

• Options
    Got my number: 441 image
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Brighton is easier than Halstead.
  • Options

OK have our numbers - I enter us both and they address it to him image.  One of the small things in life that really pee me off.

Despite that I'm really looking forward to this even though haven't really train for it, so should be an interesting and painful day.

My aim is to finish before Mr Burns for a change image  its sooooo not going to happen.

Right now to email the numbers man and let him know we have the numbers.

Have a good taper weekend all.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Just looked at the data from my Garmin and there a 1000 more feet of climbing at Halstead.
  • Options
    Tracey G - pls shut up image  Oh well at least I've done this twice before so know what I'm letting myself in for. Shame its not bank hols next Monday,
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Tired Legs - I am feel like I am coming down with a cold. Did a terrible time at Serpentine 5k today.
  • Options
    Tracey G wrote (see)
    Just looked at the data from my Garmin and there a 1000 more feet of climbing at Halstead.
    Interesting.  Not much then, just 300M or so & arguably in more manageable chunks.    I found Brighton very tough & the profile of Halstead looks a bit easier to me;   that being said I'm utterly useless up hills so I may be just as bad at Halstead (or worse) than I was at Brighton.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

adrian - I did better at Halstead last year than I did at FLM.  I think we did crap at Brighton because we were not use the heat after a coldest winter for a long time.

• Options
    adrian felladrian fell ✭✭✭

Personally I found the hills at Brighton really tough whilst the heat never bothered me.

However (!) I don't normally drink much whilst running - for example my longest (23m) training run for Brighton I didn't drink at all.  But during the Brighton marathon itself I drank 10 full bottles of water & 1 bottle of Gatorade - so probably fair to say I was dehydrating.....

I really want to run Halstead but not if it's hot.  Maybe I'll spend the next 7 days rain-dancing....

• Options

Adrian - Be carefully drinking lots of water during a race you can end up washing the salts out of your system and end up with cramp and all sorts of problems. You need to keep your Electrolyte leaves up so use a drink, tablets or gels with these in. Personally I use Elete just a squirt on your tongue and then drink some water as I can't handle sports drinks on the run. Made the mistake of drinking some Powerade at Brighton and ended up with stomach cramps.

As for hills 300m over 26.2 miles should be fine as long as it isn't 300m in one climbimage Did the Steyning Stinger Marathon in March now that has some hills, clocked it at just over 1000m climb.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    adrian - there is a little down hill at the start and then a good hill climb not steep but goes on for a bit to get you on the the figure of eight.  What you will like to here is that the last couple of mile are down hill. There will be more shade at Halstead than at Brighton thou.
  • Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

according to this the weather doesn't look like it will be too hot just got to hope the forcast doesn't change!

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Halstead-UKXX1744

• Options

Everyone at works seems to have had some horrid lurgy which so far I've managed not to catch, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Just be careful at the start Adrian as Tracey says it goes down, but turn that first corner and it goes up, not for long but up all the same.

• Options
    Weather def looking better than I had hoped. Thanks people for the information on what to expect on the course. I have butterflies just thinking about it nowimage
  • Options

hi everyone, just would like to know if the organisation provide some gel station,it s my first marathon and don t know much . I m back after injury (ankle) in berkamstead half marathon where i manage to finish in 1h40 ( it was my first on ) .I didnt traine the last 2 mouth because of injury so not to much expectation for my first marathon in halstead . I will just try to finish if my ankel is OK.     Good luck to all of you.

• Options

Nope they provide water and orange - you can if you get there early arrange for your own gels to be at a water station.  Its all in your race pack or on the web.

Good luck you'll still be infront of me as my 1/2 is nowhere near that fast.

• Options

hope the weather is better for next Sunday,  just had one of the worst 12 mile runs I’ve ever had water proof jacket defiantly not water proof and some Clio driving Pratt hit me with a tidal wave of water from a puddle image not a happy bunny

• Options

See I'm reading all this thead & am sooo tempted to give Halstead a try - but, did London & suffered from bad cramps at 30k and am wondering whether it's too soon to do another marathon?  The 'undulations' dont sound too bad, and it's nice & local for me, but I'm really undecided!!  Oh, and I would like a better time than London unfortunately, finished in 4.40 but had wanted nearer 4.30 before the cramps started.  Have had loads of rest, and the legs recovered far quicker than previous marathons so am really tempted ... will need to make a decision soon!

Any advice would be really appreciated image