Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth - Just do it. You get a nice medal as well image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

BTW - I did FLM and Halstead last year and this year Brighton and am doing Halstead.

• Thanks Tracey - haven't told hubby yet, but he's off so can have the kiddies!  Would have been more decided if they'd been 3 weeks apart, but I can always pull out after 13m I guess if it's too much??  Any other advice?!
  • I did London too Elizabeth, if your legs feel 80% recovered today, they'll be 100% by next Sunday!
    London is pretty flat, I find i take more of a pounding on that course, Halstead is undulating so you use your leg muscles differently up and down the undulations.

Go on..... get your entry in, you'll be fine!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth - I was faster at Halstead than London. I am very tempted to do Brighton and London next year. So if you do this race you can let me know how your legs feel. This is a lovely friendly race. You will be able to find me as I will have my name on my number and be wearing a Dagenham 88 Runners vest.
  • Thanks everyone, seems a really friendly race already - & we haven't even lined up yet!  Stet, I feel the legs took a real pounding in London mainly through shifting left & right to get around people.  I think that's why the cramps came on when I've never had that in 3 years of running.  Like I say, recovered pretty well & have done a 2, a 4 & a 3m since.  Am agreeing with you guys & will hopefully just do it, even if it's no pb it's still an achievement, and I do like a good medal!
  • Elizabeth- I got bad cramp at Abingdon last year so during long training runs and doing London itself I've been using compression socks. No trouble with cramp since!
    Definately reccomend them.

P.s, Halstead's medal is always one to treasure!
  • Just got back from 10 days in the US on biz and my number was waiting for me! #160. Rushed out for a run this morning in the wind and rain. Coooold.

Little opportunity to run when I was away so I've been on the longest taper ever. Might improve my time image

Anyone interested in a forum meet before hand this year, to put some faces to names?

• Blueski35 - there's an area out front of race HQ for runners world/fetch people to meet up, it's got a big sign above it, I still managed to miss it last time I ran though!
    See you there!
  • I am getting quite excited about this now

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Passes Hippo a gin to calm her down a bit.
  • its a bit early for gin, even for me

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

boing

BOING!

• Hey guys i know a few of my club are doing this on sunday i am doing the half at frinton/walton so good luck to all of you hope you all make good times and enjoy it x
  • I did London in 4.05.48 - my last long training run of 23 miles I did in 3.17 so I should have been on course for sub 4 hours in London but crowd congestion and the biggest blood blister I've ever seen in my life meant I was just outside.  I lanced my blister, lost my little toe nail and haven't run at all since London but Halstead is calling me - those 5 minutes are really playing on my mind....  Is it too soon?  And what running should I do this week in the lead up to Halstead assuming my toe feels ok (it complained when I put my trainers on on Sunday morning but another week should see it ok).  Anyone?
  • Id not do much at all this week wee curly

have you done 2 marathons in 3 weeks before?

how do you feel generally?

• No, London was my first marathon ever.  I feel fine, the stiffness in my legs went off towards the end of last week.  I've been eating and sleeping plenty but, as I say, I haven't actually run since London so I don't know how my legs and toe will feel until I have a go.  Was advised by someone at my running club to just do short runs of up to 5 miles 2 or 3 times this week, no speed or tempo, if I was going to do Halstead.  Generally I'm very fit and my mileage went up to 54 miles about 2 weeks before London.
  • WCD - your last long run was last Sunday, you are very well trained to do Halstead, use this week as a taper week, same as before London.
    I bet you go sub 4 here too.
  • Thanks Stet, that's what I'd be hoping for.  Seems ridiculous to be mildly disappointed with my London time since it was my first marathon but that 5 minutes just keeps nagging me.......
  • WCD - I know that feeling!
    A goal time is a goal time and we keep chasing it untill we get it!
    Then the finish time we want is faster!!

That's good running. I just wanted to finish the first 26.2 I entered!
    (that was Halstead too)!
  • Really looking forward to this and to hopefully meeting some you image.

• I'd say the course was like a rollercoaster, Flynn could give a better mile by mile breakdown on Halstead, where are you Flynn?!
    I much prefer this type of undulating run than the flatness of London.
    There are two (hills) I remember, one at about 3 miles and one about 16 (someone correct me if I've got that wrong) but they are over and done before you have time to think about them.
    It's such a lovely course, running on country lanes, through villages, fantastic marshals, great supporters. You can even put your own prefered brand of sports drink out at the water stations!

Can't wait for Sunday!
  • Thanks Stet.  Maybe see you there - I've got to talk my husband into letting me do it first!
  • Hellooo,

Anyone interested in a practically brand new pair of black Adidas running shorts (male, medium size)?They're cut in at the sides and I think they're just a bit too semi-pro for my style of running. image  Will just put them on e-bay if need be.  Felt self conscious when my wife was a bit lost for words! Have now bought a less flash pair and am now ready for Sunday!

Good luck everyone.

• Im up for this, I ran the Shakespeare Marathon last weekend and found it realy tough in the heat.

There are a few of my club mates running this so i thought it would be great to come along and give it a go

• this probably sounds odd coming from me, but WCD, if you raced london then you might find another marathon so soon is surprisingl;y tiring

you MIGHT do a better time, but be prepared to alter plans on the day and adjust time expectations

I know lots of us do weekly marathons, but it did take me a while to get used  to it

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hippo - you did get me a faster time than London last year.  Hubby is moan the weather is not going to be warm enough to support me.
  • we dont like warm
  • Hello you two image

I might be forced to come to support.

xx

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Snaps - I thought you was going to run it then. I got all excited, but supporting is good, we like supporters.