Corporate pants

Can I have a whinge?

Can I just say what a load of pants is talked in the corporate world. At the moment its all very touchy feely, talking "words" about the need to recognise that people need balance in their lives, need to spend more time with their families, need not to have a heart attack at work......

.........and then.....

Got to work 'smarter'.
Got to downsize.
Got to delayer.

Read - get rid of a load of people and work the nuts off the ones that you are retaining.

I'm a boss, so a lot of the pure rubbish I can avoid - but nobody is expendable these days - people tell me I am the most diplomatic person they have ever met but its REALLY hard trying to be considerate when someone is being an ar5e and you know you just want to tell that person to go stuff and THEY know you want to tell them to go stuff but you can't do it.

What really bugs everyone else?

Rant over - I'm looking forward to my run tonight!

Comments

• Martin

you're dead right. I work in IT and its full of buzz words and jargon a la :-

'lets take this off line here and talk about it later'
    'we need to refocus' = we messed up first time and need to have another go
    'we're undergoing a restructuring exercise' = who can we make redundant
    'we must fully utilise our resources' = make sure we flog our workforce to death
    'take some new ideas to market' = get people to buy stuff from us
    'this is a great opportunity' = I'm giving you something really nasty to do that everyone else has successfully avoided.
    'we're all stakeholders in the success of this project' = if it goes wrong we all carry the can, if it goes right it was all down to me

On my last project the phrase work smarter was uttered at least once or twice a day by the management when what they meant was we've got to cram more than 24 hours in the day!

Don't even get me started on company 'values'. Sheesh....
  • Ugh, this reminds me of when I used to work in the pseudo-corporate (not-for-profit) world. Same bullshit language, but lower pay.

Anyway, I used to write grant proposals for a large and famous NYC music hall - we had to make up an entire 'family concerts' programme series, just to court the public funding and show that we were 'giving back to the community'. 'Underserved' audiences and all. Underserved = ghetto where people don't care about classical music. We of the lower eschelons were expected to work unpaid overtime on the weekends to 'chaperone' these groups when they came to a concert. Strangely enough, I was never that good at finding any of these 'underserved' groups, and hence never had to 'chaperone'.

Ugh, say no more about it! All of the code-worded drivel I had to churn out. And being forced to staff the special events parties for the major donours - ha! Feeling hateful pity for the 'ladies who lunch' was only ever half a consolation though.

• It's not only the corporate world is it? The media and government are incapable of being forthright. Personally I found the outpouring of sentimentality concerning the victims of the twin towers outrage quite sickening. If vicarious grief were not bad enough, not much fuss is made about the far greater numbers in Africa who die of starvation or disease; but then they are only poor people aren't they?
  • Back when I was working in advertising I hated, loathed and destested all the buzz-words and Americanisms that were thrown about.

To allieviate boredom in meetings/briefings , I'd sometimes to play bulls**t bingo, seeing how many times certain phrases cropped up like, 'TOUCHING BASE', 'GETTING OUR DUCKS LINED UP', 'PUSHING THE ENVELOPE', 'SINGING FROM THE SAME HYMN-SHEET', etc etc.

Generally it took about 5 minutes to get a 'House'!
  • He! He!

Just a few words to add to the bull list:

"Synergy" - who can we boot out.
    "Gap analysis" - we didn't boot enough people out.
    "strategic fit" - lets get rid of all the people who don't agree.
    "win-win" - I win.
    "Leverage" - Work the remaining buggers harder.
    "mindset" - agree or your sacked.
    "results driven" - if you don't reach a ridiculously ambitious target your sacked.
  • Whilst undergoing a round of redundancies at work, we came up with a good one and I'm surprised our management haven't used it yet.

'We are allowing selected individuals the chance to seek opportunities outside the business'

i.e. get yer coat yer p45's in the post!
  • Not forgetting other classics like :-

'family oriented business' = see your family some weekends
    'some travel may be necessary' = live in a hotel during the week for the next 6 months
    'go getting individual' = slimy toady person who'll stab everyone in the back to climb one place
    'empowerment' = give my subordinates half of my work so I can go and play golf
  • ...And then there was the annual award of bonuses for those employees who 'WENT THE EXTRA MILE'.

Quickly became known as the Brown Nose Bonus.
  • For a humourous debunking of corporate life try the 'Dilbert' website (if you can tear yourself away from the forum).

It would be funny if it wasn't all so true.....
  • We used to have "team" meetings in my old job which were very boring until we started to throw in as many TLA's and ancronims as possible. Boss was very happy (mind you he did have AC/DC on his knuckles )
  • I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading this. OK, I mainly laughed. A lot. It's so true! Parky, you get management cynic of the year award and evil pixie, we already know we agree on the power of IT staff.
    About acronyms, some years ago I was project manager (God knows who dared make the decision to give the job to a mere User) for a system installation and was given a little room plan by the contractor full of ACD ISDN 100XZq&*( etc. and also a new one on me - TABLE. I pondered this briefly with a colleague until we were enlightened - it was in fact the table on which the thing would be stationed. IT speak is truly blinding...
  • pixie is that FSCK -y ? and are you in single user mode ?

unix geek head on now
  • T&TM, I remember playing what, in my more mealy-mouthed way, I knew as "buzzword bingo". Now I just avoid meetings! The NHS is absolutely crawling with corporate newspeak and I get so-o-o-o fed up with it.

About 8 years ago, I was given carte blanche to submit an advertisement for a new partner to the medical press. It included, "If your CV includes the word 'facilitator', you need not apply." The boss sucked his teeth over it, but we appointed a splendid partner (not Lay-Zee-Boy - he's the boss, unfortunately) with no touchy-feely skills whatsoever but a wonderful attitude to work and a head full of medical knowledge.

It's got worse since then. Three years ago I did a diploma in diabetes care. The entire taught part of the course and most of the assignments revolved around people's perceptions of diabetes and issues like stigma and attitudes to chronic disease - not a squeak about things like how and when to change someone's treatment from pills to insulin, which was about the one thing my practice nurse and I wanted to learn.

Student feedback can be a minefield because we're only supposed to be constructive. I can't do that terribly well, and work on the principle that if I give them a dose of Anne Robinsonisms when they've clearly done their homework on the bus, the compliments which I also throw around liberally will actually mean something.

The good news is that the Campaign for Plain English is currently seeking submissions for its annual most impenetrable jargon award. So send all your best examples off now!
  • We used to have team meetings too, till our boss realised we spent more time taking the p*ss out of him than listening and also used to drag out discussions on meaningless items on the agenda just to avoid going back to work. That combined with the fact every time a 'new initiative' was launched, my colleagues and I (the ones who had been with the company for more than the a few years) would say ' wasnt that called *** in 1994?' He's given up now and the team doesnt seem to be any less of one...

• On the subject of Dilbert - don't you just love Catbert? He sooo enjoys himself.
  • On the subject of bullsh1t bingo - we generally find that on each project we do we adopt a favorite word from a member of the other side. There is then a challenge to play that word back to the 'other side' whist the rest of the group remain straightfaced.

Our favorite at the moment in "Dovetail"
  • Laura, my cynicism has grown from too many years being managed by people who couldn't manage to find their way out of a paperbag!

Evil Pixie totally agree about the TLA problem in IT. Some of the real techies use it as a technique to make it to make themselves sound far more knowledgable and intelligent than they actually are.

Don't you all just hate the way e-mail at work has taken the place of getting off your butt and walking round the corner to talk to the person over there?
  • I still go along to market research forums (fora if you must) for medical computer programmes and laugh my socks off about practice intranets, even though we've got one. I never use it. Chances are that if I e-mailed reception and asked for a cup of coffee, the message would be picked up about 4 days later and the reply would be a more robust version of "you know where the kettle is and we're not your slaves", whereas they wouldn't dare say anything other that "yes" to a personal entreaty.

Used to make silly messages flash up on Lay-Zee-Boy's terminal till I realised that he has no sense of humour whatsoever.
  • Favourite saying of the middle management in the IT dump I work in is "SHOW STOPPER". A piece of software goes down because no one tested it properly and it's adding debt instead of subtracting it - it's a "show stopper".
    Workstations crash because of incompatible software - "show stopper".

To me, a Show Stopper would be a huge cake wheeled into our bay and a semi-clad lady jumps out and spanks the boss with a rolled up copy of Womens' Weekly.

Now "that" would be a Show Stopper !!! :-)
  • Hallelujah ! so it's not just me. Outsourcing, downsizing, key performance indicators, capabilities, target dates, job analysis, consultancies, third party agreements, sourcing reviews blah blah blah. Some people are being paid millions to come out with this lot.
    It's even happening in the NHS. My wife has had a terrible week because they are trying to get her involved in "evidence based practise " which essentially means she will have to produce a portfolio in her own time of what she does. As if not having two degrees is not enough ? And all the while she's sat writing this she's not looking after patients !!!
    I mean what's outsourcing all about ? taking away your job to give it to someone else who can supposedly do it much cheaper.
    Personally I blame the previous Tory government for this and yet the present government have continued in the same vein. Can't see the wood for the trees.
  • Without being drawn into a political discussion (or my case a rant), I totally agree Bobolink. Why oh why oh why is the private sector always seen as a solution to all ills, or is it just because MP's can get nice fat consultancy fees from the private sector later.

Any road up a debate for another time I think
  • Bobolink, I can sympathise 1,000% with your wife's situation! I'm being asked to jump through all sorts of hoops to prove that I'm good enough to do my job, when in reality the information they want will prove sod-all apart from the fact that, when provoked, I can put politically correct jargon down on a form with the best of 'em. No suggestion of sending someone who knows a bit of medicine in to make sure my joint-injection or coil-fitting techniques are up to scratch.

I've resorted to applying the principle that there's a recruitment crisis in general practice, I'm an experienced female GP willing to work full time in an inner-city ares, my medical knowledge isn't out of date, I' nice to most of the people most of the time, I keep well on the right side of the law (well, maybe my foot does get overenthusiastic on the accelerator pedal occasionally)...so what are the managerial b*st*rds going to DO to me if I won't play their game? Suspend me for a couple of years on full pay and give me some touchy-feely remedial therapy? Well, I am SCARED!

Rantsville today. Sorry. But I feel so much better now.
  • Bruxy

My computer narrowly missed being sprayed with tea! Am not feeling 100% today, so that cheered me up a lot!!!

Thanks!
  • Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is a TLA?
  • Parsley

Glad to have been of service - hope you feel better soon.
  • FYI (and btw) it's a Three Letter Acronym....
    I'm enjoying this thread - much of what's gone before has been seen in the IT department here too.....
  • The BEST acronyms of all are the ones doctors are actively discouraged from writing in patients' notes. Some real good'uns there.