Options

Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    Hashette wrote (see)

*wanders past wearing Super Six running gear with broom up backside sweeping up after plasterer whilst cooking dinner and de-poohing sleeping chickens, with phone wedged under the ear sorting out the pub quiz team*

Real life appears to be intruding on the euphoria.......image

OK, how exactly do you de-pooh a sleeping chicken?  Sounds to me like something that would wake them up...
  • Options

Actually no, and I'm really jealous of them for that!.  Much as I love them, they have brains the size of walnuts.  If it's dark, they sleep, simple as that.  Mine are ex-battery grils, so they tend to sleep in the nest box rather than roost, and I like to get the eggs and pooh out from under them so that they have fresh bedding in there for the morning.

Ooops, wrong forum!

Time to nip off to the Grow Your Own forum and bang on about running for a bitimage

• Options
    Lou7 wrote (see)

I honestly have the Super Sixers and their fab coaches to thank for that as most of my friends and family don't run and think I'm completely mad.  It's great for moral support, swapping ideas, asking question etc etc.

Me too, especially in the later stages when the long runs and sheer volume of training was starting to hurt.  Fat Face's coach Steve was really generous with his advice to everyone who dipped into the thread, and knowing that other people were out there at the same time slogging through the snow and slush on 3 hour training runs really helped
  • Options
    Are you sure the schedule has started already EP? I thought they were 16 week schedules and I seem to remember that my first scheduled run was 2 miles slow and that was in early January.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Fatface: I think EP is just testing it out. At least I hope so as otherwise I would be behind schedule already.

• Options

Phew. Thank heavens for that. In that case I'm having a rest day today.

EP and spinkletoes - regarding weight loss. My excess baggage fell off me last year but I think a lot of that was down to getting back into the routine of actually going to work having had 3 years off and generally being an idler and wastrel (just thought I'd get that comment in again). I didn't have a huge amount to lose but I lost around a stone and when you add this to the 1.5 stone I'd already lost since 2005 then it's made a huge difference. A rough calculation that I've heard is "3 seconds per pound per mile"  so that's something to bear in mind. So basically my easy run pace improved by around 100 secs per mile,purely through losing the ballast tanks. I'm at a weight now of 11:12 which I easily maintain and is around 5lbs lighter than when I started the 2009 schedule.

• Options

Hi everyone, loving hearing all about the wknd, sounds great! looking forward to Monday now so we can all join you on the journey... hopefully a weight loss one for EP, SpinkleToes...and I!! Someone above asked about the Lucozade stuff... generally I find it pretty good! More flavoursome than some of the other brands... but gels are never the easiest thing to take on a run (not for me anyway) but the Lucozade ones are a strong enough flavour that it doesn't feel totally gross... does leave me licking my lips which are essentially drenched in sugar for ages though!!!

How was the slow 2m EP?

• Options

Hello all, sounds like its all going great-guns. I've not received anything lucozade-esque yet, but I expect Santa will bring me some stuff. Doubt he'll bring me a Garmon 405 - not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything image

Seriously, can't wait for the threads to start. Bought myself some new trainers following a gait analysis and they do make a difference. Managed 4 miles yesterday which is probably my biggest distance so far. image

Good luck everyone but especially Spinkletoes!

• Options

Hi Pix -

Been horizontal most of day as feeling weird and dizzy - think the cold has hit my ears.

I just want to be better..image

Photos look great - although the photographer promised he'd photoshop my thighs and chins out.

Still haven't played with the gadget  - my brain has been on 'fart' mode all day.

Gonna try a plod tomorrow - even if it kills me.

• Options
    Evil Pixie - I think Steve was a great coach and agree with Hash that he helped everyone out on the thread.  I asked him a few questions that he always responded to and was very helpful.  It definately felt like team work.  There's no way you will let anyone down - just enjoy every minute of it.  What I love about the Super Sixers is the combination of "normal" runners that we can relate to and fantastic coaches that we can really learn from.  My training methods definately improved with the help of the Super Sixers and coaches.  And we are all right behind you all.  image
  • Options

Sorry EP - totally didn't mean to panic you even more! 

There is no way you will let anyone down.  Just enjoy it - it will be a fantastic experience you will remember forever.  Definately slap needed! image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening all - getting exciting here!

Pix - just read your Fetch blog. You can press "Start" as soon as the end of workout tune goes, and the Garmin will pick up again from that point to get you home (well, it does on a 310).  And, just sharing your experience in your characteristic style will be enough - you won't let anyone down!

Mr Wurley - congrats on the 4 miles. Think you can make it 6 by the end of the year....? image

• Options

Morning all

Now then Pix

***Paddington Extra Hard Stare***

You are not going to let anyone down.  You're going to do your damdest, give it everything you've got, and get to the finish line knowing you've done your best.   Hopefully we'll have some laughs along the (rather long!) way too.  If - God forbid- it all goes tits up, then if you've done your best then nobody could ask any more

And please could someone remind me of this sanctimonious claptrap when I have my next wibble?image

• Options
    joddly wrote (see)

Evening all - getting exciting here!

Pix - just read your Fetch blog. You can press "Start" as soon as the end of workout tune goes, and the Garmin will pick up again from that point to get you home (well, it does on a 310).  And, just sharing your experience in your characteristic style will be enough - you won't let anyone down!

Mr Wurley - congrats on the 4 miles. Think you can make it 6 by the end of the year....? image

Why not - after all, I am following the 'Rudolph World Run in Under 12 Hours" plan. image
  • Options

Not sure if I've seen that schedule Mr Wurley. Good job on the 4!!

Just been out for a cheeky 3 miler. In the fog. I thought it was kill or cure. It was mostly kill. It felt like I had legs made of lead and I was running through a treacle pond.  Somehow I managed to set the garmin up to do 'virtual partner'. It thrashed me. Must learn to nobble it (reading the instructions might help) so at least I can beat someone. Should I give it a name? Make it personal...

Listen Pix - you are, in actual fact, the most enthusiastic runner I have ever had the pleasure to meet. If you wibble, it's OK, we're all going to wibble. We'll all take it in turns! imageimageimageimageimageimageimage *graphical representation of the 'journey'*

Be warned about popcorn makers - small handful of kernels or you will be ankle deep in popcorn very quickly....

Off to make industrial quantities of fudge for xmas pressies - it's a homemade xmas here.

• Options

Oooh, oooh, Sprinkletoes - if you've got a good and consitent recipe, can you please pass it in my direction?

The wibbles will get less, you know.  The bit before you start proper training is by far the most nervy (oh, apart from taper... but thats another story image)  I can't tell you how jealous I am!

• Options

I remember the taper madness last year, it took me completely by surprise.  I'd been really looking forward to not doing stupidly long training runs, putting my feet up in front of the fire and reading the Sunday papers.

It was a nightmare!!!!  I swallowed enough echinacea to put me firmly over the drink/drive limit, every minor twinge was a major catastrophe......

Anyway, back to the present.   Does anyone else get thighs like tug boats after a race?  I'm off for a very gentle fiveish miles tonight to see if I can get rid of some of this fluid - my knees have completely disappeared and my legs look like a pair of upturned milk bottlesimage

• Options

Mine look like that anyway.....

Wotsit - I'm not sure this is the right place for a fudge recipe!!! What would the nutritionists say? I don't think there is a very consistent fudge recipe myself - down to luck mostly. Is there a fudge god we could pray to? imageI think the most successful recipe I've used has been James Martin's. Will post it if you want.

Aaah, yes I remember the taper madness. What fun that was. I kept buying strange kitchen implements like potato ricers and zesters and the like. Actually, the potato ricer has been used lots and has proved very useful. This year I'm going to do lots of reading. Maybe. Oh and guzzle vast amounts of echinacea and avoiding small children and their filthy filthy germs.

• Options

I've just a massive piece of Stollen. Just thought I'd share that with you.

BURRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.