Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Get yerself down to Aldi. There's loads there.

• I think this is exactly the place for a fudge recipe.  We need to keep our carbs topped up, remember, the sports nutritionist bloke said so.

Right, I'm off to play with my garmin and catch up on a couple of episodes of The Archers.

Message to the ether........ Julia, stop lurking and get your bum in here! 

• Hi Pix,

I reckon you have got the gadget sorted. Goodo - I shall be plaguing you with pathetic cries of 'what do I do now?'.  There doesn't appear to be a downloadable schedule for me, I did try tweaking one a bit but the slowest schedule is 5:15 and since I don't have rocket boosters that's out of the question. I'd like to keep up with the run/walk group on the day but don't actually want to train run 5 walk 1 - that would get on my nerves. The run/walk group are supposed to get round in 5:30 which I'd be chuffed with. I think I'd best get the miles in, try and work on some speed and get as fit as possible. Oh, and lose some lard. Lots of that...

• Evil Pixie - sounds like you are getting to grips with Mr G!  Have you definitely got the bleeps turned on?  You can set the bleeps (alert tones) to go off or not (i.e. you can make it NOT bleep, even if it is working its way through a workout). 

Hold menu
    Scroll and tap to select settings
    Scroll and tap to select system
    Scroll and tap to select alert tones - you should have this set to 'on'.

If it is already on, then I'm not sure if you can make it louder.  If it was set to 'off' - then that'll by why you don't hear the beeps!

Just a little point (and ignore this if it confuses you at this stage!  If you have the alert tones 'on' AND you set auto lap (e.g. to 1 mile which is what many people do) then it will beep at you on a normal run at every mile.  This really annoys me so I spend time switching the alert tones ON for pre-set workouts (e.g. intervals etc) and OFF for straight runs (e.g. steady runs, long runs etc).  This paragraph may not make any sense until you get your head round your garmin first (which you will!).

• Oh, shame.  Do you know that it IS beeping - have you heard it if you hold it to your ear?  I wonder whether you have a faulty one that isn't beeping when it should.  I'm sure you've tested that already - I was just wondering. 

Mind you, I sometimes have selective hearing when it beeps to tell me it's time to start a new interval.  Strangely I ALWAYS know when it's time to slow down for a recovery image.
  • I don't suppose you fancy some voluntary work with some of our lot, do you? We're cooking this pm and I have one of my fave TA's in there too! (actually, they're all my favourites).

Got fat club this amimage It's not going to be good...

• Yes please to James Martin's fudge recipe (even though he is the anti-christ) image

I lost just over a stone Super Six training last year - I won't tell you too much about the horrified look on Nick's face when I told him that the previous year I had put on weight marathon training... image  Anyway, I used www.foodfocus.co.uk to log it all - as did quite a few others.  Its excellent because it allows you to factor in your training and therefore your additional energy requirements and not risk going too far under and impeeding your running.  It doesn't, unfortunately, allow you to carry calories over or under from one day to the next, but its easy enough to work it out.  I lost the bulk of my stone before I got to the longest runs.  Once I'm running more than 25m a week my body takes over and I am STARVING, so trying to lose weight becomes an impossibility.

I can't tell you how much easier it was to run a stone lighter though.  Phenomenal.

Oh and though the photographer might not quite manage a bit of judicious airbrushing (I tried to get him to do the same thing - at least you had jackets this year, not see through tight lycra!)  he will, at least, understand your desire for him not to film your bottom, as you run away.  A great relief to me.

• hi there

just wanted to pop in and say a huge congratulations to all the team.  can't wait for the threads to begin.  last year i hung around on wotsits thread (even though everyone was so much quicker than i could hope to be) and everyone was so friendly and helpful

<waves to wotsit>

<adds name to the fudge recipe list>

anyway - good luck everyone  xx

• Pixie - Write down EVERYTHING that you eat and drink.  Scientifically, its the single most effective dieting strategy.  I got started with it because I had to do it for the nutritionist, but keeping it going all the time meant that I knew how many calories I'd consumed at any part of the day, so 'justifying' one food over another became more about its nutritional value than about how much I fancied it, or how tasty it was.

I like foodfocus for recording my food diary, but you could just write it down as a list?

No matter how much I run, if I'm not mindful of what I eat all the time, I won't lose weight.  I think that people who have always been slim and fit (like Steve and the other coaches) don't really understand the powerful force that food is for other people.

<waves to pud> image  Lovely to see you again!

• 20/15/15/10 completed image

Trying to order a new fridge freezer and cooker, get them delivered at a time I can actually be present and get the cooker installed before Christmas turning me into a mush-brained wreck. image

• Best of luck with that one, Rowan!! I wish you the best of luck.

Good job on the runimage Am planning 5 miles tomorrow. Lovely.

Thanks for the advice Wotsit. Like Pixie, I lost weight initially when training for my last marathon but when it came to the final bits I was plateauing - though eating like a horse so I must have reached some equilibrium. My mentor said it'd probably drop off and not to worry about it but fuelling the long runs when one is as big as me is an art form so I spend 3/4 days on short rations for the short runs and then 2/3 carbing up again for the long runs. Not ideal.

Will look into foodfocus...

• Give 'em hell Rowan.  What is it about when we turn into customers that all our normal skills fly out of the window?  I need to see a dentist before Christmas.  Not tomorrow, just some time in the next two weeks, and as a regular patient you'd think they'd listen when I phone up and say I've got a problem.  Ha!  Anyone seen Ghostbusters?  The gatekeeper is my dentist's receptionist.image

Spinkletoes all I know is that if I don't fuel the stupidly long training runs then I stop when I run out of fuel.  Having hit the wall once in training it's not something I'd want to experience again and I don't think it has anything to do with current weight.

I honestly thought I'd pulled a muscle to the point of catastrophe, the pain was excruciating.  I assumed that that was thank you and goodnight to any prospect of running the marathon.  Next day I was fine and realised what it must have been.

• Mmmm, I agree, I hit the wall in training and I never want to go there again. Found at 18 miles sobbing at the side of the road image Keep drinking the lucozade...

Having worked in customer services I think the best way to deal with them is to acknowledge that of course you know it's not their actual fault that something has gone wrong but that you have every confidence in their ability to put it right for you. Failing that, keep badgering away at them until they relent to get rid of you. Or swear at them, sling the pone down and then ring back and hope to goodness it's someone different who picks upimage

• Wotsit wrote (see)
    Although the photographer might not quite manage a bit of judicious airbrushing (I tried to get him to do the same thing - at least you had jackets this year, not see through tight lycra!)  he will, at least, understand your desire for him not to film your bottom, as you run away.  A great relief to me.
    Pah - he filmed me doing exactly that so me and my butt are now available to download from this very website!!! Mortified - er yes!
  • Yes Sue, but your bottom is considerably smaller and more pert than mine.

And meg's bottom ended up on the Sweatshop brochures!  As did Fatface's.  Dangerous game.

• I would still rather not have it in a video clip though Wotsit, although now you alert me to the fact that it might have ended up in a Sweatshop brochure I feel blessed indeedimage
  • Sadly it wasn't Sweatshop. It was the JJB brochure that Lucozade were advertising in. I was alos spotted in the Royal Parks magazine as well.

I'm still getting recognised even now. A lady came into where I work last week and said that I was the most famous person that she knew!!!! So we gave her a job.

• I'm actually going to refuse to watch it, I think.image

I don't think my fragile ego will take it.

Pixie - what is the pirate thing? Garrrrrr......shiver me timbers......avast there ye land lubbers...