Fleetwood Marathon - Suitable for a First Timer?

Comments

• Wolves marathon on Sunday had water in bottles every 3 miles. So I had a bottle with me at all times. It made a big difference & I never felt dehydrated. I've yet to figure out what gave me such bad stomach cramps on that one, but as that's never happened before, I guess it was just one of those things.
  • sounds like they had the right idea for water
  • Compo and BB

I did Chester too and it was the first mara I did not carry drinks with me.  I was confident with the water stations.  It was one of the easiest maras I have ever done and great fun.  Cups are a nightmare when doing a full as it is too hard to get the drink in unless you actually stop.  I am happy to pay more to have bottles.  We only need the 300ml size

The Blackpool water trauma of a few years ago should have taught some lessons to all organisers.  If we pay for a marathon there must be a moral requirement for proper provision of drinks.  It really spoils a race and leaves a sour taste when we have to have these discussions.

• I think that would be 2005 when it was so hot and I did not get any water till nearly half way If I remember right
  • I'm not going to get invloved in any more of the debate about distances and drinks provision at this race (or any other for that matter)

But I will raise this question: How many of you are familiar with the rules of road unning that you are required to follow?

Please note: this is not a dig or criticism of anyone, simply a question.

• www.runningclubs.org.uk/ARC_rules.pdf

These are a good general guide .
  • No-one asked you to comment on the water situation BP. It wasn't your responsibility. You weren't the organiser.

You most probably got water for the last 10 miles anyway, as the water stations were only packed up for the later runners.

• Bright

how did your race go yestaday

of to run 14 miles then swimming Training for Holmfirth 15

photos of Holmfirth harriers in paper doing fell race in saddleworth last week

I am trying the Marsden fell race in November
  • personally i never drank anything during my race so the water situation wasn't an issue for me - it is possible to buy and wear a hydration belt, have some of you considered investing in one?
  • Maybe the rules & regs should be given out to runners at their first ever race BP. I've never actually been given a copy. But it's common sense. I can't think of any rules I've personally broken. I've never worn an I-Pod. It doesn't mention running with livestock down your t-shirt is banned in the rules.......

Race was great yesterday Compo. Penistone Show 10k. Lots of animals for me to chat to. I nearly bought a baby duck......image

theBorne. Well you are in the minority then. The vast majority of marathon runners will need to drink something during the race. How long does it take you? Can you run for 6 hours in the warmth of August with no water? That's how long a marathon takes me to do. So I needed water for the last 10 miles. Why would I carry my own water for a race that said it would supply it every 5 miles???????

• I would have thought you dont need a copy of the rules as you seem to know everything already.

Or are you NOSoup in disguise?

• I am perfectly entitled to post about a race I have done Muggle.

Did  you or No Soup do this race? No, you didn't. So what would YOU know about it if you weren't actually there? All your posts on this forum have been trolling about a race you've not even done!

No I am not No Soup. He is an old guy from Preston Harriers according to Ron. He has been posting on here long before I ever started running.

• well I had an email of Ron a while ago I had a message though runners world inbox from someone who told me who soup was or so I though it was someone who works at the Hospital with Ron and he asked the person and they said no so at the moment Ron can not post on here for reasons
  • I am getting fed up with people having a pop at each other on these blackpool race threads

there is no trouble on other threads I post on and even know people though it

on the plus side my training is going well and I have started taking these gels and they help me a lot
    Anne Sweeney IS NOT SOUP I got a message though RW from someone saying she was and emailed Ron and he went and fasely accussed her of been soup
  • Bright Bimbler wrote (see)

No-one asked you to comment on the water situation BP. It wasn't your responsibility. You weren't the organiser.

Bit selective on who you allow to post aren't you. Or does this BP fella know what he's talking about and not one of your little gang who just complain and bitch.

Freedom of speech as long as BB and friends say so eh.

• XBXB ✭✭✭

I will admit to not knowing much about the rules, but I do know that if a race advertises that there will be regular water stations and t-shirts for the finishers, then I would expect that to be the case. If the race organiser says that the course will be officially measured, then that's what I expect to happen.

• XBXB ✭✭✭
    My t shirt arrived today.
  • Muggle

Freedom of speech anyway in my book
  • XB wrote (see)
    My t shirt arrived today.

Mine too !

Should I expect a couple of bottles of evian recorded delivery before the weekend ?

• XB. I agree with your post totally.

Muggle, Anyone can have an opinion on a race they have done, or if like Soup, they often raise good points. I've yet to see what you have to contribute to this thread, as you didn't do the race & have nothing to offer.

I consider BP to be a mate. Yes, he does know what he's talking about. I also consider Stephen to be a mate. Doesn't mean I can't disagree with BP, or post about a race Stephen has organised that I felt was poor this time. (Check out my reviews. I have sung Stephen's praises for a year. His own races are fantastic. This one, that he appeared to take on in name only, wasn't great, with several problems.)

I don't know any of the other people on here who did the race & complained about it on here. They are not in my "little gang". I am an individual, not in a gang, that goes to races alone & I do my own thing at all times. My opinions are my own, & I always post fairly.

No t-shirt for me yet.

• Bright

I was going to join a club but find I do better on my own as I did Yestaday and got my pacing right all the way

I did the 2008 half at Fleetwood and my running was spot on for the time I wanted

and neither am I in a gang I am my own runner and do any race I choose to do
  • Compo 1 wrote (see)
    Muggle Freedom of speech anyway in my book
    Exactly my point Compo but only if you are allowed to by certain other posters it seems
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    Just because BB doesn't value or welcome your opinion doesn't stop you posting; there are other people who might want to hear what you have to say.
  • Muggle if you have anything constructive to say about this race then say it. So far you've done nothing but stir trouble, like you've done on other threads. You seem  concerned only with making sly digs at me personally, & have nothing to contribute to this thread otherwise. You weren't at this race, & have contributed nothing of any interest on here as far as I'm concerned yet. You are a troll, & something tells me I know you! What is your name? I am Ria Bright, as many people on here know.
  • do you need a a boxing ring on here
  • My t-shirt got sent to the wrong address.....How odd. Maybe they couldn't read my squiggly writing on my entry. It's on its way again.....
  • I have enough T-shirts from races to last a life time
  • My T shirt arrived and very smart it is too.

Aside from one missing drinks station which didn't bother me as I carry my own drinks I thought the race and organisation was pretty good.  Decent facilities at the leisure centre and Marine Hall, well marshalled route. OK a better finish line would be good but hardly a major issue.

Really can't see what the fuss is about. Expect I'll be back next year.

p.s good arguments on here though. Quite amusing