Fleetwood Marathon - Suitable for a First Timer?

Comments

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    bright what ever you do good luck I have entered Bradford half

which is the week before Holmfirth 15
  • Not sure of a time limit ask Steve Ashcroft
  • I have asked the Lord, Ron, but he's too polite to tell me that I'll be too slow, & hasn't given a time limit....image

I just didn't want to finish an hour behind everyone else......!! image

Cheers Compo deary. I might do Bradford..

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    there is a free car park on sundays near Bradford centrie square
  • RocketRon wrote (see)
    Not sure of a time limit ask Steve Ashcroft

Ria,

I'm surprised that you did not get a more accurate reply from RocketRon. The original entry form gave SRH Running Promotions as the organisers so, unless things have changed since Stephen took over, why wouldn't he know?

• Thanks for the response Ron - I'll get it sorted over the weekend
  • does anyone know if the water stations have bottles or are they in plastic cups. training going well got one more long run this sunday then it's taper time. look forward to running now funnily enough i find the taper the hardest bit my paranoia goes into overdrive lol
  • Does anyone know if the half is full? I could do with a race before my marathon in Oct.

Cheers

Tony

• Sorry Roy why are you speaking for Ria now, stay away from debates that have nothing to do with you, From what i know there was never a limit put on his event so Ria is perfectly entitled to take part in the marathon why try to stir trouble again. Come on Ria show them what you can do we are all behind you.

Tony email Steve at shoestringresults I don't think the half is full taking to him yesterday but getting close. I am always here to help anyone but Steve's your man and a good one at that. Off to play golf tomorrow at Windermere on a complimentary in a vets comp. Sees you all

RR

• Martin,

reading the organiser's race description, they said they were hopeful that they would be able to  have bottled water at the stations.

I am also set for a final long run Sunday, let's hope the wind doesn't blow too hard!

• I do want to do the full, very much, but this will be a smaller field than the other full I did, so I could end up a LONG way behind, & being last by a silly amount.

I don't think Lord S would mind, as he's said as much, but I would feel silly being last by a long way......Plus it would keep his marshals out there for hours....

I know I can finish, I'm just slooooowwwww...... image

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Bright

one to try is the spen 20 there are always gaps in this one but a great race with spen AC
  • Ria

You will not look silly, Lord Shoestring has it all arranged and there will be at least one bike at the end to assist you, he is a medic so you will be well looked after. The last 4/5 miles is through Cleveleys (new promenade) and Rossall so there will beplenty of people around.

RR

• hi james

i read that myself so fingers crossed! if the organiser reads this one final question!!!

how many entries are in the full marathon please and good luck all competing
  • RocketRon wrote (see)

Sorry Roy why are you speaking for Ria now, stay away from debates that have nothing to do with you, From what i know there was never a limit put on his event so Ria is perfectly entitled to take part in the marathon why try to stir trouble again. Come on Ria show them what you can do we are all behind you.

RR

There you go, Ron. You knew the answer to the original query about a possible time limit all along. All you had to do was give it.
  • Idiotic Soup again, if you took care to look at thye entry details as set out there was no mention of a time limit so 99 out of 100 people would assume, no time limit, you are the odd one that would not have realised this
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I know who soup is
  • Michael, so do I,took a while but got there

• It's getting close now! 

Does anyone know if there is a map of the route anywhere?  or failing that, where is the best place for a spectator who doesn't know the area but would like to see the runners more than once - and preferably wouldn't be too far from a coffee shop? 

• yeah i'll second that regarding map of the route. Im getting quite nervous now, never done a marathon before but was hoping to go sub 2.45 if the wind stays down. Starting to get worried that only 3x40+mile weeks is definitely not good prep!!
  • image image - stands back in awe at Lil Chef's sub 2.45 aspirations *i'm not worthy*

I've got a stinking cold - I'm just thankful it's coinciding with a bit of tapering

• I've had flu, missed my last two long runs, went out Saturday to see how 20miles feels, disaster, had to stop at twelve miles. Couldn't breathe, no energy, legs full of lactic acid. My first marathon, longest run so far, 18 miles. Now that's no way to prep.................time to panic!
  • I've entered the full marathon and have some questions for RocketRon/race organisers please:

1.  Is there water at every 5km/3M?

2. Is it bottled?

3. Is the route the one I've seen on MapMy Run, with the 17/18/19 mile points going South West along the 'Sea Wall' away from Fleetwood?

Thanks

Pete 

Peter Walker 6

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Peter walker

Stephen Ashcroft is race organiser
  •  I've delegated this one but I'm told

water every 5/6 K cups and plenty of them.  Bottled water at finish
  • Hoping to maybe switch to the full from the half. Depends on the races this weekend. Not tried running since I pinged hamstring......
  • Pete Walker 6

Regarding your last point about the run route, I have looked at this route on mapmyrun and this is the 'old' run which just basically does two laps of Fleetwood town (the half marathon route on map my run is exactly the same).

From the race pack instructions I have carefully studied (I'm local anyway so know the roads)-  this year we do one lap of the town, similar to the route shown on map my run, however then run out of Fleetwood and through Cleveleys, Little Bispham, Bispham and just into North Shore turning at Gynn Square where we head back to Fleetwood and mirror the half finish. I would say the turn is around 5miles out of Fleetwood.

It is run on upper and lower promenade pathways, away from the road but close to the sea wall in many parts. It's slightly undulating in places (into Blackpool) but on the whoe flat. Just hope the wind isn't too strong because, as I say, you are right onto the seafront.

• James, that's very useful - thank you.  In your opinion, where's the best place for spectating?
  • Hi Minardi

Fleetwood itself near the Marine Hall would be a good place as they would see the start, the finish of the half plus the full runners after their first lap of the town on their way out to Blackpool and of course the marathon finsh. There are nice gardens with plenty of refreshments/snacks here too.

If they wanted to travel further afield, out of Fleetwood, the run is entirely along the Promenade, which there is ample parking along the Prom (I don't think restricted either), however once parked up, they would have to cross over the tram tracks towards the upper pathways to see anything of the runners.

This is my first marathon (have only done 1 half before) and my planning has been to the nth degree image  so I will have support in the areas mentioned in Fleetwood. Once on the route out of Fleetwood they are moving (if they don't get bored) towards the turn at Gynn Square. This near the Savoy hotel, Blackpool and there is a 1/2 mile slight down hill to the turn which is a small cafe (i think) in the middle of the wide walkways.

Then, I will ask them to move back north firstly to Cleveleys, where there is a lovely new stretch of Promenade by the VUE cinema (can park here). This will be busy though as it's a bank hol weekend and is a popular tourist area. I'll probably collect my last gel here (about 4 mile from finish) and then my support will head on back up to Fleetwood for the finish.

Any of these places I would recommend. For ease, Fleetwood town is the best bet but would miss from approx 12-24 miles.

Hope this helps

James