Options

Fleetwood Marathon - Suitable for a First Timer?

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the Carvey Lunch after the race Steve. My beef and yorkshire puds were delicious

Judith wanted a starter but there was no soup.

imageimage

• Options

So let me see if i've got tghis right................................image

I slog myself round the toughest 26.2 miles I've ever done, get sand blasted, blown off my feet on the way south and then blown back DOWN the course on the way back............................image

And YOU get a Carvery lunch.................................image

And THEN you complain because there was no soup image

For goodness sake Keith. You should know by now: if it's a race on the Fylde/Wyre coast you'll get no soup imageimage

• Options

No soup maybe but plenty of humble pie for Stephen to eat judging by some of the comments on here about the mistakes in the results, paucity of water and lack of T-shirts.

By the way, Brian, I asked if the course needed re-measuring, as per the course measuring rules, after it was changed from 2009. As a Grade 1 measurer I would have thought you might be keen to see at least that rule followed but now I assume that you were happy to see the course measurement certificate invalidated.

• Options

you lucky things we got a sand wichimage

• Options

Sorry guys I could not resist that one.

Cheap gag I know

• Options

So was this an accurate marathon or not?

Do PB's stand? Brian's Garmin looked pretty near, & there were some twisty turny bits that could maybe account for it reading slightly short??

I intend to get another PB at Wolves on Sunday....but just in case I don't, can I claim this PB on an accurately measured course or not?? Because I didn't see it advertised as a "fun run".......image 

• Options

I was questioning the half which on my Garmin came in at 12:8 miles which is more than the usual Garmin +/- amount.  I was not the only one to get that.

I downloaded the Garmin to Google Earth and it showed a number of gaps in the line that could easily add up to that difference.  It was as if the Garmin was off for a short distance and then back on, or lost signal.  Very odd!

• Options

Please ignore Soup, people.

He/she/it is merely winding people up with the same old rhetoric.

I ran the toughest marathon of my life on Sunday, and I wasn't alone in that.

I really couldn't give a monkeys whether it was long, short or whatever.

I ran it and that will do for me.

When it comes to course measurement, Soup really does not have a clue what they are on about.

• Options

If I had managed to finish the marathon on Sunday, I would be really hacked off if I found out that it wasn't a validated distance.  Just my opinion.

• Options
    my garmin was accurate for the full 26.2 miles
  • Options
    got my refund back for the marathon that was to happen in Feb but now is not and that was from SRH

Brain I have been told who soup is

also Ron emailed me to ask who I though soup was and when I gave him the anwser he was sure aswell and he said no marathon in 2011
  • Options

Brian Porter said

I really couldn't give a monkeys whether it was long, short or whatever.That’s an interesting comment from a Grade 1 course measurer. Is this the same Brian Porter who insisted that the organisers of the Preston 10 extend their long-standing course by 40 metres on the morning of the race in November last year?When it comes to course measurement, Soup really does not have a clue what they are on about.

From the Northern Athletics rules on course measurement :

“Once a course is certified as correct, the Certificate of course accuracy will remain valid in subsequent years without re-measurement, provided the organiser confirms that the course is unchanged.”

“VALIDITY of a Certificate lasts for only one year. However, validity may be extended by confirmation to the Licence Secretary that no detail of the course has changed since the last registered measurement.”

Can the organiser confirm that the course is unchanged from when the original certificate was issued?

• Options

Well I COULD give a monkeys whether it was an accurate marathon or not.

Brian, you've done loads of marathons, & this wasn't a PB for you. You even said you were only doing it as a training jog.

For some of us, completing this was a LIFE AMBITION. Something that meant the absolute world to me. My achievement has now been ruined, as I don't know for sure whether I actually ran an official marathon distance. And I may never be able to RUN a marathon the whole way again, as I may have just got my bad back on a good day. (I've never been able to run for over 3.5 hours before)

So if I found this was short, I'd be gutted. Because it would mean I hadn't run a full marathon at all, & may never be able to again.

It certainly must be damn near though, as theborne got an accurate Garmin reading, though BP a tiny bit short. I'd just feel much better for knowing for sure it was the full distance.

• Options
    bright

I hope you do ok on sunday chester is in October next year if you want to do that

nice hot day today
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭

Surely the accuracy of the course distance is the first box that gets ticked when you're organising a race. Trading Standards wouldn't let you sell a 500g bar of chocolate if it was 499g or 501g.

I don't expect Sports Relief miles or Races for Life to be accurately measured but I do expect a properly organised event like the Fleetwood Marathon to be accurately measured.

I measured it as 26 miles 281.6 yards but I wasn't sure where to start and stop the Garmin.

Any news on the t-shirts?

• Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭

While I had my Garmin on I had a look at the splits.

Miles 1 to 16 were coming in around 10:15 to 10:30 which was bang on target.

Miles 17 to 24 around 11:30 per mile.

That wind was bloody strong.

• Options
    The mara was a different route to the half so may have been accurate!
  • Options
    An 'official'/accurate marathon distance is well within the error margins inherent in Garmin route measurements quoted by Brian (earlier in the week), XB and theBorne (today) and measured by me (but don't have to hand).  There is, as far as i can see, no evidence to suggest the marathon route was short or, therefore, that there should be any question over the validity of PBs or any other record.
  • Options

I'd just like an official confirmation that's all.

I'll see Lord S tomorrow & have asked Ron too.

• Options

My Garmin clocked 26.1 - that's accurate eough for my liking !

I was so tired I'm not sure I could have squeezed another .1 miles out of my legs !

• Options
    Well if that's confirmed as the official measurement Hooligan, then you ain't done a marathon, have you? The thought of that doesn't bother you?
  • Options
    As there was no definite race line to follow it's going to be almost impossible for two runners to record exactly the same distance .my garmin recorded 26.26 miles HooliganFlankers recorded 26.1, it's anybodies guess who's right or wrong .

Does it really make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things ,running should be a positive thing to do in life ,something we do for pleasure ,the sense of achievment and a feel good factor .image
  • Options

Yes, little rip. It makes a huge difference to some of us.

If you aren't bothered if you've run a full marathon, then that's fine. I am.

If the course is short, then you haven't done a marathon.

A marathon is a very big deal to some of us. Possibly a once in a lifetime achievement.

I wasn't particularly bothered the likes of the Beaverbrooks 10k was well short, & times rounded up or down to the nearest 15 seconds.....But this was a marathon.

I'm just asking if the race was officially accurately measured, as I wasn't aware I'd entered a fun run.

• Options

I will keep you informed as the weeks go by. Course has been measured (approx at this stage to get the gop ahead for road use from the council and police). Official measure mid June.

Ron

Hi Bright bimbler,

The above is from page one of this thread,There is also a comment on page 1 about it being a fun marathon and i seem to recall the same being written on the front of the leaflet they sent out with the race number . so as i previously said my garmin showed 26.26 miles it's close enough for me .

Good luck with your next one image
  • Options
    hoping to do Gold coast marathon 2011 over in Brisbane it would be lifetime dream for me that
  • Options

Little rip......This was posted by Ron on here on May 5. ....................

Fleetwood Marathon & Half Marathons 29th August are not fun runs although all standfards are welcome.

Course accurately measured Certificate No 09/042, UKA Licence Applied for, GFA times accepted 

Numbers and event details going out middle of June 2010, 6 weeks before the event

Steve Ashcroft 

I don't recall any mention of it ever being called a fun run. I went by the details posted on the official race info on here in the events section.

So I'm just asking for confirmation it was accurate, from the organisers, as this course was apparently different to last years, which appeared to be accurate.

• Options
    funs runs are mainly for young people or those who can not run a long way
  • Options

BB, This was my third and by far most successful as well as toughest marathon. As far as I am concerned the course is accurate as I have not been informed otherwise and just because my Garmin was 150 metres out - over 26 and a bit miles I dont think thats too bad.

To be quite honest no, the thought of it not being accurate to the inch doesn't bother me. I trained hard, I slogged it round with the rest of the runners and enjoyed it. Running in those conditions whatever the distance made me a stronger runner with greater confidence in my ability and endurance.

Incidently when I ran the London marathon in 2008 my Garmin didn't clock 26.2 miles - it was slightly under !

• Options

Asked Ron re measurements.....Reply.....

the marathon was 16 metres short (accdeptable under UKA rules that it was permitted with) and the half 60 metres because of the re sighting of the start to avoid the sand dune that appeared overnight in the gales.  Both routes were accurately measured for Steve
    Ron

• Options

I’m afraid that Ron’s explanation just won’t do. The measurement certificate 09/42 applies to the course measurement that took place on 5th July 2009. I repeat that the rules clearly state that when the course is changed, as it was in this case, a re-measurement must take place and a new certificate of accuracy obtained.

Can either the organiser or the course measurer give an assurance that this took place? If so, what is the reference number of the new certificate of accuracy?