My fell shoes rub

MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
 I bought these in the summer having done some very muddy fell races . The grip is excellent but the heel rubs every time I wear them . I tried taking them back to the shop after 2 tries but the said they get loads of complaints about the heels rubbing and suggested I steam them over a kettle to soften the heel. I did that but still have a painful blister from them . I am resigning to the fact they're no good for me. Anyone suggest a shoe with as good a grip that i actually comfortable over 7-10 miles. I dont want to waste more cash.

Comments

• I've used Walshes for years without any problems but bought a pair of Mudclaws as they appeared to offer slighlty more support.  I've had exactly the same problem as you however, in fact on my first two runs with them I took them off for the last mile and walked back in my socks.

I've persevered though (including the steaming kettle thing) and they're now OK for 'cross country' type runs rather than genuine fell but once I get onto steep ground then they rub like hell - needless to say I've gone back to Walshes.

• You need a stronger heat than a steaming kettle - I had exactly the same problem and used a good hairdryer. Blast the heel sections with heat until they are soft and pliable then put them on and go for a run.
  • I love Salomon Speed Cross 2 - £75. They are very lightweight and have a cushioned heel and superb grip - it's almost like running in spikes! Sadly not waterproof, but dry off quickly and even wet shouldn't bother you over that distance. I'm on my sixth pair

P

• Seems like some people have problems and others don't - I've had several pairs of Inov-8's and they just seem to suit me.... sorry but you probably don't want to hear that!  The heating idea is certainly worth a try.
  •  I've never had a problem with heel blisters in Inov-8 though I personally user the mudclaw 270s/terrocs and flyrocs.

OFFICIAL Advice from Inov-8 on the subject is as follows:

Heel Customisation
    Since our footwear is based on the average runners’ foot, it is impossible to guarantee everyone a 100% fit. Prominent heel spurs can cause hot spots and in turn premature wear of the heel lining or blistering.

In the construction of our footwear, we use a soft thermosetting heel counter which means it is possible to alter the shape to the exact contours of the heel where necessary.

To do this apply heat to the inner heel area of the shoe with steam from a kettle (Please exercise caution when doing this) for approximately 30-60 seconds or until the heel counter softens. Put the shoes on immediately after when the temperature allows, and go for a short walk or run. The polymer thermosetting heel counter will reform to the new heel shape for a custom fit.

• I have a pair of these and had exactly the same problem - fantastic grip but they shredded my feet - although I know others who have not had a problem with these, I guess it depends on the shape of your feet. I like walsh PBs best - like slippers.
  • MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. Wish i'd known others had problems with the shoes before i bought them , but i will re-heat mine and go for a run in them when my heels allow it. I wasnt aware that Inov-8 gave any advice about their products. Not surprised the shop didnt refund my shoes. Even after a thorough soak/scrub they stank. Will look at the others suggested,thanks
  • The Inov-8 web site has plenty of useful advice and I would also recommend the FRA forum.

FRA Forum

(The members are generally very helpful and also include Inov-8 staff!)