Sub 1:20 Half Marathon 2010

So i'm signed up for Bath in March and looking for sub 1:20. Who else is looking for this in 2010? I ran 1:21:21 in Oct off maintenance mileage and abit of speed through the summer. Thinking of using the Sub 1:20 ultimate RW HM training guide to deliver.. anyone else used this?

Comments

• I'd like to crack 80mins for HM! image

I managed 1:21:26 at Birmingham HM in October and I was very loosely following the RW Garmin ready plan (hard option).  I think the long runs helped a lot, they went out to 18M.

I've got Tewkesbury HM lined up in May so plenty of time to train, although my first target is a Mara in Jan (Gloucester).

• Excellent time. Birmingham has a few hills right? On a flat course I reckon that would translate to sub 1:20. What weekly mileage did the garmin one take you too? I think the long runs would benefit me also, as I lost alot of pace in the last few miles.
  • Thanks....only 5 seconds slower than you! image  I quite liked the Birmingham course.  There was a big hill at the end but generally it was quite flat I thought and weather conditions were good for me (light rain).

I averaged about 50 mpw, some weeks had a fair bit more (upto 70) and some a fair bit less (30).  Out of the 12 week schedule 9 were 50 or more (5 were exactly 50....OCD?).  I sometimes did extra sessions not in the plan when the weather was nice!

I've not followed a schedule before (first race was Jan 09) but it quickly became apparent that my body wasn't too keen on the prescribed speed work. In particular hard interval sessions (normally Tuesday) always seemed to aggrevate some niggle or other so I tended to drop these more readily than the other sessions.  I chose the pace version of the schedule and often ran the slower sessions faster than intended....which maybe explains why speed work on top didn't go down too well.

• I ran it off about 25-30 mile per week, mostly tempo and speed from August onwards just to keep me ticking over. Before this I was running 50mpw and then had an intense week at 3500-  4000m altitude at the end of July, not running but covering 20mile a day in intense heat with a heavy pack. I got to mid sept and started feeling abit twitchy so signed up with the intention of not running too hard for a sub 1:30, but came home pleasently suprised.
  • This is my aim in 2010! I ran 80:28 at Shakespeare Half Marathon in April (which isn't flat at all!) and, for one reason and another, I haven't run another one since. I'm looking to break 80 minutes at either Wokingham in February or Shakespeare in April.

Prior to this, I'd only run sub-81 once before, and had multiple HMs at 81-22 minutes.

I'm currently overtrained so am only doing 40 miles a week (plus around 75 miles on the road bike to keep me ticking over) but will be looking to raise my mileage again in January to 70-80 per week. I find the session which makes the difference is my weekly tempo - I either do 6 miles at half marathon pace, or put the tempo in the second part of a longer (say 15 mile) run. It (bloody!) hurts, but does make you faster!

• This will make a nice target for 2010. image
  • Joe, You have to run hard to do a sub-80. Can you cope? ;¬)
  • No Ultra's next year and only one raced mara , so I'll have to do something to keep myself busy image

• so there are some more of you!

Think i've worked my plan out.  50 - 60 miles a week over 6 runs. 1 Long run 1 Tempo run 1 Speed/hill and then an easy day between each with 1 complete rest day. Looking to take my long run to about 18 miles.

Rach E - I like the sound of those tempo runs I was thinking of doing 12 mile with 6 tempo in the middle, same kind of idea.

• The 6 tempo in a 12 mile run does sound a good idea. I don't think I could do an 18 mile long run though! The maximum I go out to for a half marathon is 15 miles (but I tend to find the longer runs more difficult than the speedwork).
  • Have to see how I get on... on a side note I tried a tempo last night and about tuck off in the wind! Pace was 5:30/6:30 deponding on which way I was hitting the wind!
  • Well, that averages at 6m/m pace which equates to a c78:30 half. So you're well on the way! I run my tempos at 6:06m/m pace which scrapes you under 1:20.
  • Do you find your tempo pace reflects your race day pace? I'm not quite sure where to aim at the moment, I tend to run hard at the start and then loose a few seconds on pace as I go. I think I can hold 5:45-50 quite well over mid distances,  I think this might be my number..

• Bump!?

Hows everyone getting on? Just hit my first proper tempo run today, absolute killer!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    MR I ran Bath in sub 80 back in 2005. I was running quite a lot of miles coming into it and raced 10m in 60:15 prior to the HM (though I may be a bit older than you.) I didn't do any speed work concentrating at a lot of miles at upper aerobic levels (80-85% of MRH) and a weekly threshold run. The key I think is to be able to hold the last three miles at the same pace as the first 10m, as the run in over the couple of miles is on a gradual and rather incidious incline.

If you've run 1:22 off 25-30 mpw you should be well capable of running sub 80mins* off 50mpw assuming that the shorter stuff is fairly brisk and that you get your long run up to 15 miles. Good indicators would be 5m tempo runs inside 6m/mile pace and a raced 10m in sub 60 mins.

* probably closer to 77-78mins
  • Some excellent advice appearing here!

Arclight, thanks for your tips. Interesting what you say about no speedwork and concentrating on upper aerobic. I've always thought tempo is the way forward for distances >5km.

I'm currently doing 6 mile tempo runs (once a week) at 6:15m/m pace, and can hold these (fairly!!!) comfortably. In six weeks or so I'll be looking to get these down to 6m/m pace. My 10 mile PB is 60:24, and I'll be looking to crack 60 at Maidenhead Easter 10 in April next year (on the Garmin, I actually managed 5:59m/m the whole way last year, but the course was slightly long!)....

13.1 miles at 6:06m/m pace somehow seems harder than 10 miles @ 5:59m/m....!

Jokerman, sounds like you know what you have to do. I actually think a sub-36:30 can be a good indicator of sub-80 half shape, but I know my times get better (relatively) as the distances get longer. My 5k and half marathon minute mile paces are only 20 seconds apart.

I've lost a bit of shape over the past six months (primarily due to overtraining) and I just want to start knocking out consistent sub-37 10ks before I tackle the 36 minute barrier....

• Great thread - sounds like people actually know what they are talking about!

I'm aiming for a sub 1:20 eventually but am coming back from knee surgery so might be a more realistic target for 2011!

Concentrating on fell/cross country at the moment and (very) gradually increasing my mileage.  Planning to run the Sheffield Half in april sub 1:30.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Jokerman, whilst I agree that running 5-6m at threshold pace is demanding, I do believe that it is essential to do - and not just for the physiological benefits. Just to make things even harder I think you need to be able do these runs eventually without relying on a heart rate monitor. It's all about developing the ability to run by feel. With regard to threshold running its the ability to sense the point at which you are just about to tip over into lactate build up and be able to back off slightly. On one hand you need to be able to recognise this (achieved by regular practice) and secondly to develop the confidence to run at this pace without being engulfed by the fear that it's going to unravel(lots of steady miles at upper anaerobic levels - a la Lydiard . A successful threshold run shouldn't be a struggle, but should be a hard confident effort undertaken whilst being able to ignore the physical stresses of that effort (much easier said than done, but worth aspiring to). When its over it should hurt like hell, but only because now you can now give way to the cumulative fatigue.

I'm not sure I've explained that very well, but I hope you can see the points I'm trying to make.
  • Bump!

I'm aiming for a sub-80 when I make my half-marathon debut at Bristol in September 2010.  Currently planning on a summer primarily consiting of fell races with a few shorter road races (5k) thrown in to keep some speed.

Managed a 37:00 10k last year in June but have suffered from a variety of minor injuries since then so has been difficult to string good training blocks together.  Think the key going forawrd is to build a big endurance base and try to limit my interval training until a couple of months before the race, as my tendancy in the past has been to spend too long at the track doing 800/1000/1200m reps - great for a bit but not a good long-term strategy especially when it comes to injury.

Would be interested to hear how those posing earlier got on with their training and racing in Dec, Jan and Feb

• Good to see this thread again.

My race is Bath and its on Sunday. Training has  come on well, aiming for sub 1:15 now getting very nervous, but nerves are good - keep me twitchy.

Took 1st at a XC race in Burton on Sunday was a big confidence boost!

Struggling with the taper though after 80+ weeks running less than 40 feels very un natural.

• Good luck at Bath Midland Runner!  Your training must have gone REALLY well if your aiming for sub 75.  Hope you make it!!!!!

I ran Gloucester Mara in Jan and got my sub 3 image (2:56.57).  So sub 80 is definitely in my sights now as the next target.  Trying to pick up the speed after the Mara training and cut the long runs back to 16-18.  With any luck that will be sufficient for sub 80.

The weather has recently been a whole lot better for training so I am optimistic about the next couple of months.  Training in Dec/Jan and early Feb was tricky!

Alex, the fell races should put you in good stead for your HM strength wise and the 5ks will help with speed, so sounds like a good combo!

• This ooks a good thread.

Read back on it a wee bit later.

• did 1.19.51 on the great north run last year, 8th fastest over 40 vet, and guess what go rejected for a place this year, did 35.28 for 10k and 17.08 for 5k last year
  • SB that is shite mate

What time do you need as a V40 to get reserved entry to the GNR?

• i dont think any vets get a special place due to where they finish, its just a lottery. Could not go through the trauma of starting halfway down the field and trying to navigate past all the fatties like i did in 2007. just give it a miss, know a few good club runners that got rejected, in fact i am struggling to think of anybody i know who got a place
  • Midland runner - sounds like things have been going very well for you. I must admit that 80mpw sounds quite daunting.  The most I have ever done has been 40mpw although I am now trying to push this higher as I think my body can take it (only took up running 18 months ago). Presumably 80mpw has involved doubling up on some days? And what has been your split between faster and slower running?

What sort of mileage are others on this thread doing?

Congrats on your sub-3 Fellsurfer. Are you also planning on a diet of fell-running to help you towards sub-80?