Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• Hi Doctor Robert,

Would it be ok to transfer my number to a friend. I have been injured since end March and progress is painfully slow. He tried to enter online a while back but was too late. His name is Steve Barnett.

Thanks

• Many thanks Routemaster!

I am keen to see those steps again after running the picnic last year and munro in 07... a glutton for punishment! Cheers

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Mr Routemaster...please email me at rob at trionium dot com....
  • Phil_HPhil_H ✭✭✭

I've got to be sensible and put my place up for grabs, as I've been too ill to do any running for over a month. Mountain biking is ok, but I've just not got anything in the tank going uphill image  I really dont want to do it and not 'enjoy' it and/or spend a month recovering.

• I am currently "nursing" a broken bone in my right hand (fifth metacarpal), self-inflicted three weeks ago when changing a car tyre!The clinic told me to pull out of this event. Needles to say I am currently ignoring them. I am still running, albeit a little gingerly, with a mix of on and off-road. I plan a 20-miler on Sunday to see how it goes (mostly hilly on-road).I will assess things, but what is the latest date that if I “wuss-out” of this event, that I can transfer my entry?
  • Phil_HPhil_H ✭✭✭

I'm surprised that I havnt had any takers so maybe I wasnt clear.

My place is up for sale.

• Hi Phil_H,

I am interested in buying your place if still available. PM me and we can talk about it.

Cheers,

TS

• Phil_HPhil_H ✭✭✭
    Trail Snail wrote (see)

Hi Phil_H,

I am interested in buying your place if still available. PM me and we can talk about it.

Cheers,

TS

pm replied to.

Consider it yours Tim.

Can someone remind me what the entry fee was please !

• I think the entry fee was £32 affiliated and £34 unaffiliated + £2 fee that RW charge.

My place is now also up for sale due to injury. If anyone is interested please PM me. image (also leave a meesage on here saying you have PMd me too!)

• Lillaicha - I'll grab that place if no-one else has got it yet.

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

I went passed Box Hill on the way to the Doking 10 on Sunday. I looked up at the starting / finishing hill & thought...."Nutters"

Enjoy....and in a most bizarre way you will for that I`m sure.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Come on Mr K ... don't be a wuss ... you know you want to join us, and it seems there might be a place available ... image
  • I was at Box Hill for one of the legs of the Green Belt Relay - cranked my neck to take in the majestic hill and did think it was going to be fun in June !imageimage
  • Message to Stephen Barnett,

Hi Steve, 

Our mutual friend Stuart is away so could you please send your details direct to Dr Robert at rob@trionium.com

Cheers and have an excellent run

Phil Davies

aka StragRouteMaster

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)
    ..... you know you want to join us....

image I don`t - I saw that hill & started to ache.

Good luck to you all - nutters image

• It's a wonderful and majestic hill full of promise (mostly of aching legs)! The main uphill is the easy bit - far worse lays ahead!!
  • As it only a half I suppose I should run up some of the hills. image
  • ShinyShiny ✭✭✭

The first 2.5 miles are the worst.  After that it's a walk in the park.

A very hilly park.

• I'll be taking my picnic basket with me - might find a nice spot in the parkimage
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Oh crickey, don't mention the word Picnic in this thread image
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Not too far away now.  How's everyone's hill running going?

Glad to say that my knee has been holding out since starting back a few weeks ago.  (Had two months out with patellar tendinosis.)  I've got a week's intensive overseas hill running training camp lined up from Monday.  Er... well, I'm off to be best man for a mate's wedding in Sorrento and I believe the Amalfi coast, as well as being stunning beautiful, is a bit up and down, so I'm attempting to take it easier on the grog than I normally do on holiday and get some miles in.

If the knee survives that I should be in pretty good shape for the South Downs.  Fingers crossed.  image

• The hills are great - the running is not!image Have a good week of hills, Phil - bet it'll be all grog!image
  • Having never run a half marathon before I am bit unsure as to how I will cope on the 19th. I have so far run a 10 mile race (Surrey Tempest) in 1 hour 21, and two 10Ks. Two weeks ago I competed on a 10K trail course with 740 ft of elevation gain, and I completed it in 50m 51s.
    I am currently doing an average of 30 miles a week training, and I completed my longest training run so far of 12 miles in 1 hour 51. This was on the trail, and had 1065 ft of elevation gain.
    Obviously, my mileage will drop over the next couple of weeks, but I do have a 14 mile training run scheduled for 6th June. Even in hilly Haslemere it will be hard to get more than 1200 ft of ascent into this run.
    Am I going to be well enough prepared? I am hoping to complete the MM in 2 hours.
  • Phil_HPhil_H ✭✭✭

Unfortunately thats not likely Andy. The combination of long ascents and descents will knock you for six.

I too havnt done a race with as much vertical as this, and (before illness) was training with 12-15 mile runs with repetitive ascents/descents of the south downs near my home.

Your run times sound similar to mine, so what I would advise is that you find the longest, steepest ascent of black down and go up and down it twice for starters, then three times perhaps 3 days later, ignoring flat running completely if you can and concentrating on quality not quantity. That will get your cardio-vascular system working harder, which sounds like what you will need to give you confidence that you are not going to die when you hit the turnaround point and have to do it all again !

• ShinyShiny ✭✭✭

Noooooooooooooo chance Andy, but don't let that put you off trying image.  If it's any help my half PB is under 1.26 and I'm going for 2.15.  It's the steps that really slow you down and even if you think running up them might be a good idea don't - your legs will be total jelly by the third lot.

Had a bit of a shock today myself - haven't been running that much in the last 2 weeks and have had a vastly increased alcohol consumption level but I thought I'd give the Wimbledon Parkrun another stab to see how I was doing.  Last time I did it I finished 8th in 18.19, this time I dropped out before I'd even gone half way!  I think I should have adjusted my pace a tad more than I did but I turned the morning into a 10-miler instead so it wasn't a complete waste of time.  Definitely need to build fitness back up again over the next 3 weeks though. 

• Shiny - Its a interval session with hill walk recoveries image. If you blast the flats and the downhills ( you have to be a bit daft going down the steps image ) you should go under 2hrs with some room.

Weather could make a big difference though last year it was near enough perfect , a couple of years ago there had been so much rain you couldn't see the stepping stones image

• Shiny, sounds like I should maybe be setting a target time of under 2 hours 30.

I have a 6 mile fast run scheduled tomorrow, so will swap it for 2 trips up and down a nasty hill I know that has a 510 ft ascent in 2.05 miles. Although it sounds like this is a relatively "gentle" slope in comparison to the ones that will face me in three weeks time!

Any other suggestions to toughen me up.
  • Good luck Andy - you have certainly jumped in at the deepest end of the deepest pool imaginable for your first half! My times are also similar to yours and last year I managed 2hrs 44. Mind you I live in the flatest of flat areas so hill training presents some issues. I have knocked 6 minutes off the time on a training run recently on the full course but don't anticipate going much faster (if at all) on the day. The weather could also be a factor - a really hot day will add another very unpleasent element into the mix..

• ShinyShiny ✭✭✭

You did the full Course on a training run Peter!?  Nutter.  I still can't bring myself to contemplate the last set of stairs until I absolutely have to.

Got to save a little treat for race day image

Andy, the only way I've found of toughening up for Box Hill is to run on Box Hill, but then I live in south London so there really aren't any other comparable hills nearby (I used to think Richmond Park counted as hilly before I started my training for the Knacker Cracker). 

Despite what it might sound like I suspect most of us aren't really that bothered about times, it really is the experience that counts on Trionium events. But one tip I would give is to make sure you do a mile/10 min warm up on the roads at the bottom before the start of the race - you really don't want to be tackling that first hill without having got the blood flowing already.

• Thanks Shiny - I'm such a square that it is indeed a priviledge to be called a nutter!! I was determined this year not to train on the course - it was my masterplan. I regreted it for a few days after.. Still it was a lovely day and I sort of enjoyed myself!

I'd agree about times - they really are an irrelevance unless you have run this before as it cannot be compared with any other half. Mind you, for Andy it will be a PB!!