Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• Philpub - wait until tomorrow. That's when the glutes usually stiffen up.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well, after a good night's sleep here I am at work. My legs don't feel too bad, although I sense they are gradually stiffening up. Just as well I'm the only one in today because my brain and general cognitive functions seem to be operating at half-speed.

I guess I'm a little weary after yesterday's fun image

• Well done, everyone! I finished in one piece and I wasn't last as I thought I would be!image

It was a great experience, a very different kind of terrain for me. I was a wuss going down the steep bits (paths & steps) as I have a little phobia with heights & I wasn't going to risk spraining my sprained ankle more, so I lost a lot of time on those bits (and I was already slow....image I finished in 3:11, heard the timekeeper said that as I crossed the finish line). I felt better on the uphill bits - 'safer' - but of course still just crawling along...

The left ankle was pretty 'fat' when I got home but once iced it got back to normal. No massage afterwards but zapped the legs and arms last night with ultrasound - no aches or pains today, went to marshall at Lingfield 10K this morning and went for my Sunday run this afternoon, felt fine still (fingers crossed!)image Glad I didn't 'push' myself yesterday or I'll be aching like all you speedos!image

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Results will be up late on Sunday night....
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

So who was the bloke I saw running back afterwards in the direction of Dorking? Wearing the MM T-shirt and cap.

If you could still run, you didn't work hard enough image

It was all I could do to cycle along that road.

• Run and cycle..??? I drove....
  • London 2 Brighton today went alot better than I expected and I think I should be fine tomorrow.

I cocked up my cycle to the race yesterday and started off completely drained so ended up with a 3:05 ish.
    Not that pleased with the time but hey it happens and its all good fun image

• All the photos are now up, you can browse them here:

Midsummer Monroe 2010

Or search for your number here:

Search for Race Number

Well done again to all you runners!

• When do Picnic entries open Dr Rob? I entered last year and had to pull out and have been feeling guilty ever since.
  • Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Results are now up on the race web site (http://www.trionium.com/mm) - please make sure that you refresh your browser window to see the new page with results.

Thank you all for all the very kind comments and ratings - they are greatly appreciated!
  • By 'eck- that was brutal.  But superbly organised- many thanks to Dr Rob.  Please do pass on my gratitude to the marshalls- the most jolly bunch I think I've ever met.  One small item, for those of us at the back the pre-race briefing was a little difficult to hear, this I think was probably because the loudspeaker was on the ground?   
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    My quads were only mildly creaky yesterday but Jeez, they're absolutely killing me today. I looked up my running log for this event last year, and it says "took a week off for trashed legs". Might have to do the same this year ...
  • Well, that was a bloody disaster. (See my rating the race for the gory story)

I completed the first half last year in The Picnic in 2:30. The Munro this year took me 2:46. I was moving more slowly that Wayne Rooney on Friday evening.

Kylie and Danni Minogue could have been waiting for me at 26.2 miles, but there is absolutely no way that I could have turned around and done that all over again.

At least my legs are okay today and I spent Father’s day mowing the grass and gardening.

It is a good job that I have already signed up for The Picnic in 2011 as after Saturday I might be having second thoughts.

A mega job by the marshalls. I thought that they were good at the Marlow 1/2M, but these guys here are the best.

• Did anyone (sadly) count (or does anyone know) the number of steps we went up and down. I'm sure everyone thinks I'm exaggerating when I tell them there were HUNDREDS. And maybe there weren't hundreds and it just seemed like it.....
  • Definitely 100s - as we'd to go up and down 6 times altogether. I'm feeling OK today, no aches or pains although shoulders still a bit tight from being tensed on the steep down bits.

Hope everyone else is recovering well...image

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Thousands - definitely thousands - I counted several thousand before my brain became starved of oxygen.

• ShinyShiny ✭✭✭

Wendy, there are around 270 on the first (and last) steps and around 190 on the Eiger steps which makes 730, plus a few extras at the top of the chute.  So almost 750 in total.  

If it helps you put it in perspective for something people you are talking to might have actually done, there are just under 200 steps at Covent Garden tube station, and those ones are nice and even.  And you don't normally run 13 miles either side of going up them!

I can't believe how much I'm aching today given that I've been running over Box Hill once a week for the past 2 or 3 months and as I wasn't feeling 100% on the day I probably went slower than I have on some of those training runs.  Oh well, it gives me incentive to beat the time next year.  I can't wait image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Shiny - now that's interesting.  I work on the 33rd floor in the Docklands, and during a fire drill where we had to walk down the stairs I kept my mind occupied by working out (rather than counting individually) how many steps there were.  I made it 720 or thereabouts, and my legs felt like jelly even then.

Quads are stiffer than yesterday.  I can walk down stairs without holding on but tomorrow's track session is looking decidedly iffy.

• Thanks Shiny. Makes me feel MUCH better.

But can you confirm - is it 750 up and down in total? Or can I double this? (Trying to milk this as much as I can!)

• I work in Canary wharf as well. In my building it's 38 floors from the bottom of the car park to the roof access door. I've been practicing on them for a couple of months, so why do my legs still hurt?

Top race, I'll be doing the Picnic again next year....

• ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    750 in each direction Wendy (although, like me, I suspect most people will have skipped some of the smaller ones on the way down and avoided a few on the way up by switching to the adjacent slope (not that that helped at all)) so 1500 in total if you want to make it sound as bad as possible.
  • Interesting that I have run up the BT Tower 4 times for charity and there are around 900 steps there but not 13ish miles as well!! A fantastic event, brilliant marshals, great organisation, refreshements and excellent goody bag! This has to be a must do!! Special mention to Jules (number 59) who seemed to be able to talk all the way up the steps the last time offering people encouragement!! I live in Essex and we have the famous Orion 15 which can be pretty damn tough but Saturday's Event takes the biscuit. I have not been overly enjoying racing (not that i was at The Munro!) too much but I finished that with the biggest smile on my face!! Be back next year but think the Picnic is for hardier souls than me!! Or do i have a go???????
  • Quads still complaining every time I go up, or worse down, a step. Hoping that the pain will have decreased by tomorrow as I am due to begin training for the September Nottingham half where I will be targeting a 1:45 finish time ... somehow I dont think that crossing the line there, or at any other "normal" race will feel quite like it did at 18:23 on Saturday. I have no intention of doing the Picnic, but I will certainly be back for the next MM. Fantastic afternoon! Thanks to all the marshalls, runners, and the the good Doctor.
  • Don. I have entered the Picnic. Perhaps I need help.
  • Orion Harriers fell race this Friday evening if anyone is interested (and tough enough). No steps but short and sweet version of the Munro! See the Orion website for details. Everyone is very very welcome.
  • Congratulations to all for taking part! I'm gutted that I had to pull out at the last minute but there is always next year. Could someone please tell me what the course changes were? I intend to indulge myself in my own personal Munro once I'm fighting fit and I wouldn't want to cheat! 
  • I think Rob would have to tell you. There was a car park missing this time but I was concentrating on other things. image)
  • I've just entered the Picnic as well.

I obviously didn't learn my lesson the first time!

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    These were the changes:

1: After descending the steps and turning right to the footbridge, turn left and keep to the side of the river (narrow, precarious path) until you get to the stepping stones (rather than going up and through the trees).

2: At the top of 'the Chute' instead of emerging into the car park of the Smith and Western pub, cut left up a few steps and trend rightish to go through the woods to emerge by a grit bin next to the road - cross directly to regain the former course.

These changes might have taken 20 seconds off your previous time - not more!