Unattached vs Club

Comments

• Explain please?.

Would you rather we (unattached) didn't race at all?

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

For small clubs we, the club memebers, put our time and effort in putting on races for runners, that includes you, those who do not belong to a club.

Therefore we are putting back into running that which you are not. If we all did not belong to clubs then most of the smaller races would disappear.

• My god, what a lot of elitist shit.

So, in short, you are saying that those who are unattached shouldn't run in races?, yeah, that'll work, I wonder just how many races would be able to run if those that aren't attached didn't run.

I pay for the privilidge of running in races, I didn't realise there was a pre-requesite of HAVING to be in a club to run in them, I'd have thought that the club in question was happy with the support by paying and turning up.

If thats not the case, then maybe I ought to re-think entering races.

What a selfish, selfish bastard I am.

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Its not elitist shit. I'm just pointing out that many races are put on by clubs. No clubs-no races. Simple.

• May I also point out that, majority of runners in races = unattached runners, without those, no races.

swings and roundabouts, but calling all those unattached racers selfish is out of order.

It IS elitist shit.

• Mak's friend wrote (see)

For small clubs we, the club memebers, put our time and effort in putting on races for runners, that includes you, those who do not belong to a club.

Therefore we are putting back into running that which you are not. If we all did not belong to clubs then most of the smaller races would disappear.

So in a nutshell, you saying that small club members who put on races for runners.
    But clubs are putting something back into running where unattached runners are not.
    Hmm, now I`m not sure. What about other club runners who run your race. Are they in
    the same group as the unattached? Not to forget that without unattached runners, many
    races would not exist if it just consist of club runners.

Unattached runners do have a input into running. They support races and bring income
    into clubs and charities as much as club runners.
  • Damn unattached runner scumbags, lower class of runner them lot.

• Mark's friend is right when he says that without running clubs, there would be a lot fewer races, it's not elitist shit at all.  He's simply speaking the truth.  If running clubs didn't put the races on, all you'd have would be the big company organised events, who would put massive entry fee hikes into place and the races would be sold out in minutes.

My club organises 2 races a year, which is not a lot, but we always get huge numbers and many of those runners are unattached but so what?  As long as they enjoy themselves that's all that matters, isn't it?  

• danowat wrote (see)

Damn unattached runner scumbags, lower class of runner them lot.

Of course you are image  so come and join us here image

uknetrunner.co.uk

Not a profit making company like the other Online club mentioned,  just a gang of very friendly and supportive running nerds like myself. 

I also belong to a local 'real' running club and never feel any pressure to attend a club night.

• I joined a club last year and went weekly for a few months.   Unfortunately the club only runs in the evenings and due to my home life, I can't get out in the evenings so I've had to give up the club.

I would love to get back, but I can't, so that makes me one of Mak's friends "great unwashed"  - I do enter races and local ones at that.

It's a shame more clubs can't run sessions during the day as I'm sure a lot of people (OK, mainly female people) would be able to go along.

• I was saying that calling unattached runners "Selfish" was elitist shit.
  • Ooh, a whole new can of worms.

Must admit it has never occurred to me that not belonging to a club is "selfish".

If non-affiliated runners were turning up at races and running for free while benefiting from the efforts of the club, then yes, I can see  that could be perceived as selfish. But we pay to enter races. If running clubs don't want unaffiliated runners at their races, they can make them members only?

• CJBA wrote (see)

I joined a club last year and went weekly for a few months.   Unfortunately the club only runs in the evenings and due to my home life, I can't get out in the evenings so I've had to give up the club.

I would love to get back, but I can't....

It's a shame more clubs can't run sessions during the day as I'm sure a lot of people (OK, mainly female people) would be able to go along.

Every club consists of individual members such as yourself. There is nothing to stop you suggesting this to the rest of the club, or, dare I say it, organising sessions yourself. 
  • I may be selfish about many things, danowat, but not just because I can't make it to club night.image 

It's not my fault that I can't make it, I know a quite a few of the runners who are in the club, they've accepted my reasons for being unable to make it, have never once criticised me and when I saw them the other weekend at a race, made a point of coming over to chat, see how I was getting on etc.

I am aware of all the effort that goes into organising a race, not much, but I make a point of thanking marshalls as I'm going around (assuming that I have enough breath leftimage) and contact the organisers after to thank them.  I pay my money, abide by the rules and am as appreciative as possible about all that they do.

It's not that I won't join a club, it's that I can't.  In my book that doesn't make me selfish, merely unlucky.

• OK, clubs - for most people, its down to timing and location. As club meetings are held
    at nights, that can be difficult for a lot of people, even for club runners.
    I know club runners who don`t go to club meetings or even support their own races.
    What does that make them - traitors.

If clubs want to attract unattached runners to them. Then maybe introduce daytime runs,
    Saturday/Sunday training runs. It doesn`t need to be a club meeting where you go to a
    hall and all meet together.

I know a local club where they have a Sunday training run. Anyone can turn up on the day
    at a local supermarket. Go running, get back. Have a cuppa at the supermarket cafe and
    that`s it. Not sure it could work for other clubs but might attract new runners anyway.
  • afjt wrote (see)
    CJBA wrote (see)

I joined a club last year and went weekly for a few months.   Unfortunately the club only runs in the evenings and due to my home life, I can't get out in the evenings so I've had to give up the club.

I would love to get back, but I can't....

Every club consists of individual members such as yourself. There is nothing to stop you suggesting this to the rest of the club,

I did and they started daytime sessions but only for those who have never run before. 

afjt wrote (see)
    CJBA wrote (see)

, or, dare I say it, organising sessions yourself. 

I'm neither a sufficiently experienced runner nor qualified to do so, otherwise I'd have considered.  The best that I could do was suggest it, but guess there weren't as many people (at my level) as interested as I thought.

• Meh, its just another example of the "one upmanship"
  • Dips wrote (see)
    uknetrunner.co.uk

Not a profit making company like the other Online club mentioned,  just a gang of very friendly and supportive running nerds like myself. 

Note also, that uknetrunner is affiliated, so members are entitled to the £2 discount on race entry fees.

However, I'm not sure how you can claim that it is "not a profit making company unlike the other online club mentioned", when the membership fee is £20 (£35 in the first year) as against £12.95 for realbuzzrunbritain !

• I'm a newbie, so I used to join their "social runs" as they called them - problem was they only did them one night a week.  They did organise runs on Saturday, but they were 15+miles and I was a long way off those.

I think that there is a gap in the market, club or otherwise for the "not quite newbie" runner - most  clubs cater for those with more experience/miles/speed, or, increasingly, the total newbie, but it's more difficult to find a slot when you're like me not quite one thing nor the other.

• Definately no profit made aftj, I can let you see the accounts from our AGM if you like.  £35 includes a club vest, affliation fee to England Athletics, cost towards website etc.  You get, a friendly forum, discount at races and chance of a club place in VLM to name a few.

What do you get for 12.50 from RealBuzz...which is a business?

CJBA  There is absolutely nothing stopping you starting a group,  as long as you are upfront that you are not qualified.  What is stopping you suggesting a group of you go out on a Friday morning for instance...and run 5 miles at a nice easy pace?

• I think local clubs are missing out on something. There are a large number who don`t belong
    to a club. These will train on their own or go to a gym. These want to join a club but find it
    inconvenient. But there are those who fear or don`t want to run for a team.

So why not clubs take runners on who become members but receive email newsletters,
    training schedules, races and volunteer for the club too. Local clubs could have `virtual` runners
    who pay as members and still be part of the club. If there are `virtual` running clubs around today.
    Then why not local clubs adopt this method too.
  • Dips wrote (see)

CJBA  There is absolutely nothing stopping you starting a group,  as long as you are upfront that you are not qualified.  What is stopping you suggesting a group of you go out on a Friday morning for instance...and run 5 miles at a nice easy pace?

I agree with Dips. You can start your own local running group where you can meet up in
    a park and go for a run. In my area, the council have organised walks around local parks.
    They have a leader who leads the team and afterwards have a cuppa. These are held in the
    afternoons. I even know some running clubs who have weekly lunchtime runs where anyone
    can turn up and have a run.
  • Dips wrote (see)

Because I now have a trainer and a specific schedule to follow, so unfortunately that would not  be an option (for the time being).

runnerman wrote (see)
    I think local clubs are missing out on something. There are a large number who don`t belong
    to a club. These will train on their own or go to a gym. These want to join a club but find it
    inconvenient. But there are those who fear or don`t want to run for a team.

So why not clubs take runners on who become members but receive email newsletters,
    training schedules, races and volunteer for the club too. Local clubs could have `virtual` runners
    who pay as members and still be part of the club. If there are `virtual` running clubs around today.
    Then why not local clubs adopt this method too.

That sounds like a good idea, Runnerman.

• Yep Healthwalks  runnerman,  my Mum is a leader of one in our area, they are fantastic.

I like the idea of a virtual strand to a local running club...food for thought.

• Dips wrote (see)
    What do you get for 12.50 from RealBuzz...?
    "By becoming a member of the realbuzzrunbritain.com Running Club you are joining an official ‘virtual running club’ which is recognised by UK Athletics and each of the Home Nations. And this isn’t just any running club – this will be the biggest running club in the world.

Membership of the realbuzzrunbritain.com Running Club will give you discounted entry to running events throughout Britain, a £5 voucher and an ongoing 10% discount at Sweatshop, 20% off tickets for all major televised UK Athletics track meetings, up to 35% discount for weekend stays in any UK InterContinental Group Hotel, (e.g. Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza), free detailed downloadable training and support guides, plus a range of upgraded social networking tools that will make being part of our online community even more entertaining! And all of this for just £12.95 a year."

• CJBA wrote (see)

Because I now have a trainer and a specific schedule to follow, so unfortunately that would not  be an option (for the time being

So get them to join in with parts of your schedule!