Unattached vs Club

12346»

Comments

• Inspector, I'm a club runner and I think you may have misinterpreted the words of just a couple of people to be the feelings of the majority of club runners. Believe me, it's not like that. The vast majority of club runners will see you a welcome addition to the sport, whether you join a club or not. If you DO decide to join one, you will be made welcome, whatever your standard, and you'll find a number of very dedicated people wanting to help you. If you don't join one, every club will want you to run in its races. As a club runner, I am in awe of someone like you who has managed to overcome injury and used their willpower to get better. I hope you carry on and I hope you continue to post on here. Good luck.
  • Thanks Peter!

Of course I know not everyone feels that way (I've been in a few clubs in my time), I was just letting my emotional reaction loose on the world image

Right now I'm feeling motivated, and me, my Garmin, mp3 player and a training plan is all I need, but I know from experience that being part of a club makes such a difference getting you out and running on those days where the motivation is lacking.

I can't find any club locally that I could get to though (work and family - same old reasons you hear so often), so maybe it's not to be... but after the Reading 1/2 in March (which I'm determined to complete!) I think it would be very helpful to have a club to give me some direction and motivation to keep going. I'm a bit concerned I'm a bit too slow for club runners these days - unlike 20 years ago, it's not all 6 minute miles any more!
  • I'm currently unattached, but have been a member of clubs in the past. Basically I would quite like to be a member of a club, but due to family and work commitments I can't get along to club nights at the club I used to go to.

I also live in pretty much a black hole where there is a ring of clubs about 20 miles away, but only one in the town where I live. I have investigated this, but they charge £40 a year, and I'd still only be able to get to about 1 or 2 club nights a month. That just seems pretty expensive, when the last club I was in only charged £12 per year. The one thing that has nearly swung it for me though is the opportunity to race ina cross country league again, though I'm probably not back up to standard yet.

I have toyed woth the idea of a virtual club, but really at the moment I only do a few races a year, so it's just not worth it, as I wouldn't get the real benefit of a club, which to me is the friendship & commaraderie.

• Exiled...I think it is worth looking around at different clubs in the area (if you have a choice) some might charge more because they have more to offer and might have higher overheads, a clubhouse for instance?  You say you won't benefit from a club because you rarely race but the real benefit is friendship and commaraderie....surely you can have that without racing?  As I keep banging on image I belong to a virtual and non virtual clubs and get tons out of both...friendship and commaraderie being the most. I haven't run since August but still feel part of the 'gang' even if I have to ride a bike with the runners on a Sunday morning.

Gadget...I only know of one club in my area that I would call elitist...the rest (3 others) are all very accomodating of slower runners....mind you one is a women's only club so not much good for some of the population!  I think its a case of asking around, trying out different clubs and maybe looking into the world of Virtual Clubs, one or two of them have a very supportive forum that can work just as well as having 'real' comrades around.   Pleased to see you back running after injury...it gives me hope. image

• Inspector, I back up Dips's second point: I belong to a club that makes a big effort to get runners of all ages, abilities, shapes and sizes involved. Even if you don't join, you can probably go along to an evening training session or a Sunday long run and see how they organise it to accommodate the different levels. Most of them will give it a good go, and they'll be glad to see you.
  • Back in the day when I was training for my first marathon I emailed a few local clubs and asked if I could join them for a Sunday run.  Some never replied, one or two seemed a bit out of my league but one was extremely accomodating and friendly.  I still see a few of them, some 8 years later, at local races and say hello.

I also started a little lunch time group up at work...has faded out now ,but there are plenty of ways to find running 'mates' if you try a bit. Through those mates you might even find a good club to join...or do what I did and start a club up.

For me, half the enjoyment of being in a club is supporting the slower, less experienced runners and its great to see them acheive their goal whatever it is.

• Dips, unfortunately as I said, there's only one club in my town, and then there only a few others, all about 20 miles away in an arc (the sea is on one side). Whilst 20 miles is not that far, it just adds to the time, and even then they're pretty much on nights I can't make due to being a taxi service for my kids.

I agree entirely about the friendship & support, though I can't really see how a virtual club would be any more help in that regard than this forum. So it then really comes down to cost - at the moment I don't race enough to make a membership of a virtual club worthwhile on a cost benefit.

I think clubs are great & would like to be in one, have had great experiences in the past, but it seems that at the moment it just doesn't work out for me. Hopefully in a couple of years the kids'll be a bit more independent & my evenings won't be quite as tied up.

• Its always difficult juggling family and running, my children are (apparently) adults so I am independent in terms of time but not sure I would still make a 20 mile journey to a club so your not a lone there.

Some Virtual Clubs do meet up at races, ours for instance targets a few races around the country each year and as many as possible make an effort to turn up. Also you sometimes have clusters of members in one area...but you might be able to find some running buddies simply by posting a thread on here?

• I have enjoyed reading this thread as I would like to join a club, but like a lot on this Forum work committments does no allow it, the local club only runs on a Wed evening at 6 and as I work evenings, I cannot go, they also do not do weekends which would suit me better.  I feel I have gone as far as I can as a lone runner and being a member of a club would help me progress in my running.  I did contact the club and they were very friendly and inviting, saying I could come down on a wed and join in their runs for a couple of sessions before I join, but have just not managed.  I will keep looking and maybe my work situation will change but doubt it.