City of Lincoln 10K

Comments

• Really hoping it's not going to be wet and windy (which it's what it's looking like at the moment) - picked this race for the PB potential and was hoping the weather wasn't going to be a factor image
  • Weather doesn't sound too bad at the moment - chance of a shower. It would need to be pretty bad to affect your chances here - course is fairly sheltered and you're not going for too long in one direction. Last year was positively scorching (for March anyway) - must have been about 15 celsius.
  • The race has now reached capacity at 5,000 runners.

• 5000! wow, thats gotta be the first time its reached capacity, superb.

• Looks like a hot one again this year...................14 degrees with 20% chance of light shower on the forcast I just looked at
  • My first time at Lincoln-8 hour round trip! beat that!
  • Roll on tomorrow morning.image
  • I did Lincoln 10k in 2005 and 2006 then stopped training. Started again in November '09, struggling to run/walk to the end of the road. This event has been my incentive to get out there in regular sub zero temperatures at 6.30am.

Can't quite call myself a runner yet - I jog at a sloth's pace (about 11 min miles). Tomorrow I'll be pleased to get round without walking - especially if the temperature's are going to be tropical....image

• Travelling from Nottingham tomorrow so not to far to go really looking forward to the race good luck everyone have good day.

• imageimageGood luck to all the Toonies? And my number 606 SpeedyBrear.Are You Ready?
  • Well, it was a very good race this year, with a record 5000 entry. Well done Lincoln City Council (never thought I would say that after previous years efforts!)

Finished in 54:28 by my watch, although I had done very little training for it.image

• Done and dusted now.  Not sure of my official time but my Garmin says 42:52 for mat to mat (official gun time is 43:22).  Gives me a PB by around 2 minutes.

Did 7:11 for the first mile which wasn't too bad considering how crowded it was in the sub-50 pen.
    Had to walk for a minute around 7km due to a stitch.  If I hadn't done that, I could have got closer to the 40 min mark I really want sometime soon - I know I can do it as I felt I wasn't pushing myself enough and probably wasted time weaving in and out amongst loads of runners.

Like the new route but still hate the cobbles at the end - matting might help?  Real pain to run on and the pavements were congested so couldn't maintain sub 6:40 pace on them.
    Finish was better too.  Slightly more organised and plenty of bins around for your chips.

Still would like some more entertainment en-route and at the finish and a range of food vans - only saw one stall doing fruit kebabs so went to the newsagent across the road from the castle for crisps and a milkshake (really fancied a burger but nowhere doing them)

Good crowd support and great weather image

• Great race, much improved from last year at the end. I got a PB and knocked 2mins47 off previous years time, so very happy with that, the results are up now on the bbc lincolnshire site.

I got infuriated with the fun runners who positioned themselves in the wrong pens, the race pack should say something about it next year, as they clearly have no idea what the sub signs mean. I overtook about 10 women walking before we even got to the first roundabout!!!

Big improvement with proper lanes at the finish and being handed your bag with medal and water in it. image

Oh  and how could you miss the burger stall in the lawns??? I nearly choked on the smoke!!!

• Didn't think of looking there for the results.  Chip time officially 42:50 so 352/353rd place.

Saw the smoke but though it was coming from a vent in the pub kitchen.  Too many people milling around and the marshalls were directing runners away from it after I left the castle.

People always place themselves in wrong pens.  No way of stopping it unless they ask for proof of previous race times (which would hamper fast first timers).

• Well done the organisers they even got the weather right great crowd support its a shame the walkers and fun runners keep starting to near the front not sure how it can be solved, having said that i really enjoyed the race i will be back next year.
  • well im a happy bunny, great race this year, organisation was so much better than last time I did it.

and a PB too, chip time of 39.47. Its guiness o'clock for sure now. Well done everyone.

• I really enjoyed the event. Got round without walking (although the cobbles nearly did me in). I was faster than I expected to be so pleased with my time. The first mile was slow due to trying to negotiate walkers, about 10 metres past the start mat lol (I started in the sub 70 pen)!

Very well organised, except my husband couldn't get into the castle grounds to see me finish as priority was given to faster runners leaving so he was a bit glum when I finally found him image.

I'll be back next year. Well done to everyone, participants and organisers - and whoever organised the weather image

• Didn't know the pens went all the back to sub-110 minutes which was only a few metres from the A46!

The faster runners must have lapped some of the slower ones.  Also, when i ran past the bit where you go right for the first lap and straight on for the last 1-1.5km, crowds were completely across the road they would have taken.

Wonder what happens to all the water?  Crates of it left at the 5km point when I passed it on my way home......perhaps they could ship it to Edinburgh as after last year, it might come in handy image

• It took absolutely ages to get out of the official carpark which is over a mile walk from the finish. Took me nearly an hour to get out, then some dick head in a Mercedes shot straight past all of us who had patiently waited all that time in our cars, then wondered why the carpark marshal wouldn't let him push in.image

Saw the cops running down Breedon Drive, followed by a police car. Wonder if it was connected with that?

Just being nosy; did anyone see what happenned?image

• What a fantastic day! Great organisation considering there there were 5,000 runners, fantastic crowd support especially the live band outside BBC Lincs.

Do find the the little moans about this race rather amusing (which has become a national sport) its a big race..ages to get out of car park..why not stop behind have a cuppa or beer..and chill out...

A great day out in the beautiful city on Lincoln!

• I parked near the castle and had no trouble image as for the water, I dont know why they give out such big bottles..its such a waste, when its only a 10k and all you need to do is wet your wistle a cup would do with the option to take a bottle if you need. My first 10k (belvoir) had just cups and was fine!
  • Most races have free parking. It seems that Lincoln City Council are just using this as a money spinner. Surely they could plan the route so that it starts and finishes near Yarborough Leisure  Centre, thus avoiding the long walk at the end.

Or is this beyond the capabilities of the brain dead penpushers at City Hall?

• What about the T-Shirt we promised as advertised on Runners World?
  • I love that it finishes at the castle to be honest cobbles and all!

• Anyone know if the results are up anywhere? I can only find the 2009 results on the Lincoln website...
  • They could run it through the castle grounds (in one end and out the other) and still have it start and finish near Yarborough.
  • It's the cobbles and the finish in the castle that gives the Lincoln 10k it's unique character
  • And another thing. Why did the announcer at the start give Gillian Merron so much coverage. She's not even a celebrity, and everyone knows she is gonna lose her job as MP for Lincoln after the election in May. It's just the council kowtowing to her.image
  • And yes, I am in whinging mode tonight!