Medals - bring them back!

2»

Comments

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
     The one that I'm not that fussed about is one where I accompanied my wife around her first 10k.  It was a jog for me, so I didn't feel I'd earnt it.  But the rest, I ran the best I could on the day and feel I deserve them.
    I think that sums it up BDB - whatever the distance, we run the best we can on the day.
  • i too like medals

i think i prefer them to mugs and other mementos, not sure why. i've had a medal for every race i've done so far and they're all hung on the wall. i think it's nice to be able to display them and you just can't do that with other things. i'm planning on doing a race next year where you get a mug instead of a medal. i think it'll be a nice change, but it will ruin my display (cos there will be one missing) image

i really must do a gillingham trotters race one day cos i want a flying pig medal *stamps foot*

• *koff*

did someone mention quilts? image

One of our local clubs is the Tamar Trotters, and they have a Magnificent 7 race in July which features a quality medal with a pig on. It's fab, but the race is a killer.

• Medals are my favourite memento. Got so many t shirts and most of them are like dresses on me. Never had a mug though.

More medals please!

Am I the only one who has kept all their race numbers in a special box? I've got the event, date and finish time written on the back of each one.
  • No, I got a chest full of medals, mugs, t-shirts and other goodies.
    The only medals on display are my marathon, Great North, Great South, my first ever medal and
    the trophies.
  • LP, we have our race numbers in a box, in numerical order. image
  • I like my medals. It gives me something to run for. I'm never going to come close to winning a race (apart from the one I did win image ) My best medal yet was massive... and chocolate!
  • My best medal is for the Eden Project Marathon - big enough to eat your dinner off, it is. We also got a pasty and a beer at the finish, both of which were also much appreciated but didn't last long ... but a medal is forever!

The gongs at Trionium events are pretty good ... but these are tough events so you have to earn them.

I also keep my numbers btw. What a sad old geezer I am.

• I have a friend that likes her mugs. I can understand that, you can take them to work and show off your latest feat without being ostentatious about it. image
  • I prefer to have a medal, although i have to say I did Derwentside 10, three years running and for the first two they gave out a short glass engraved with the race date etc.. which is my next best thing in my trophy cabinet. Unfortunately on the third year, they went in for a cheap looking t shirt which was awful.
  • My vote is for the medals.

They don't take up much space and can be stored or displayed.

Got a mug and a paperweight this year and don't suppose they will be around in 6 months but my medals will join the collection.

On a seroius (comparatively anyway image) running is for a lot of participants a transient affair with a constant stream of new comers - they all deserve a suitable momento in the form of a medal.

• kwilter...waddling less wrote (see)
    LP, we have our race numbers in a box, in numerical order. image

kwilter image

as a mild obsessive-compulsive, who enjoys tabulation, lists and good order, that sounds all very right and proper to me.(hang your head in shame!)

• I havnt ran a race for years now, but when i was very young i used to do a lot of fun runs while my dad was doing 10k, HM and M's. I did my first fun run when i was just over 3 years old although i have to admit to walking/being carried for most of it!

Almost every race i did i got a medal for and i thought they were the best things ever! My dad used to display his medals in our from room on a little shelf; ones with ribbons hanging below and important medals inboxes on top...

He made me a little shelf identical to his for my bedroom and i hung all my medals up with pride and although they arnt hanging up now, i still have all my medals but none of my old tshirts or anything else from my younger days of running!

Now i've got back into running im really hoping i can start a new collection of medals; tee's are nice but i have plenty to start off with, dont really need any more... some proper running socks would be nice though image

• Medals it has to be,  though I admit that I'm not bothered about medals for races below a 1/2 marathon. My proudest medal is the smallest (Comrades, Bill Rowan) my favourite is from my club race in  the shape of a camel.  Mugs, kit bags, T shirts etc I have by the ton but never use them, tend to agree that Medals were for winners but then I have quite a few that were given for winning or placing in a age group, and why shouldn't peeps get something which brings back all the memories, pain, sweat etc.

Like Mutley I have most of my race numbers too! Their laminated and put on the wall in front of my treadmill, but theres not a lot of space left.  To any race directors reading this thread (such as me!) listen to your public give them medals!

• Most of the races I've done recently seemed to have medals, which as people say is nice and a good reminder, my little one loves the one's they get at the toddler  /little 'un's races.

Have to say though that one of the best momentoes I've had was from this years Arundel 10k - free photo downloads from the official photographers - I got 9 pictures of me at a 4 different locations a brilliant reminder of the day !

• I'd much rather the organisers spent their time measuring the course accurately before anything else!
  • I go so far as not to sign up for races that don't have medals, even though T shirts do come second in my opinion (preferable to other things, that is).
  • You can engrave or mark your race time on the medal (and the date)  - so you can look back how your times have progessed.  Every time I win (is that the right word as I didnt win the race!) one, my daughter loves taking them to school for Show'n'Tell.

I did start collect race number, but gave up on them when they got torn, lost. or washed!

Race t-shirts....my OH gets crazy when she sees them cos I have too many! I wear them for X-training, saving the nice wicky tops for the runs.

One other thing my OH is mad at me is if you open the wardrobe by my bedside, you can see on each shelves beside my clothes -  it is full of gel, bars, drinks, energy beans, blister plasters, and many more to name.... no wonder my wife never puts my clothes away after ironing/washing!

Oh dont forget plastic bags are useful to recycle....

• LP84 wrote (see)
    Medals are my favourite memento. Got so many t shirts and most of them are like dresses on me. Never had a mug though. More medals please! Am I the only one who has kept all their race numbers in a special box? I've got the event, date and finish time written on the back of each one.

Now that is a great idea! I am gonna do that. image

*wanders off to look for race numbers*

• I love my medals - I'm ridiculously proud of them!!

I agree that I wouldn't enter a race (I don't do that many) if it didn't have a medal.  

• Must admit I prefer medals, not sure where they all are. May have to rig a display of some sort... 

Also I also keep my race numbers and add comments on the back... Date, splits, weather...

• yep, keep the numbers and associated 'stuff' (like race packs) in a shoe box. i write my time on the back of my numbers

TTT - i've got mine hanging off a pole (like a curtain pole, but shorter) that's sort of balance on 2 nails in the wall. dead simple but it looks surprisingly good actually!

• I like to have some sort of momento from a race, medals are nice and I do like those best.  I have one of those laser crystal images from a local race a few years back.  It's of 2 people running and also has the race name on.  I also have all my numbers!!

But I would and have done races that don't offer any sort of momento, just for the challenge of doing them.